Song lists for so Cal `08 Jam session?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paologregorio

Song lists for so Cal `08 Jam session?

Post by paologregorio »

Hiya all,

At the planning meeting for SoCalCon, we talked about attendees posting wish lists/song lists for songs we want to play at the confluence jam session. It 's a really good idea-one that was done last year IIRC, and allows us all to have an idea of what we want to play, as well as an opportunity to learn them ahead of time. A lot of these songs can be learned straight off the web via You tube videos, which most probably already realize, but some may not have, especially for those of us thinking "I know it's these notes, but where on the fretboard did theyplay it? I'm no zealot when it comes to Beatles covers, but watching a couple of their "live" performance videos helped me out with a couple of short bits wrt to the best spot on the fretboard to play some of the bits on "I Feel Fine" and "Day Tripper".

Anyway, since SoCalCon is this weekend, we should probably put our thinking caps on and start coming up with some songs. :D

I'd like to hear/maybe play/jam on:

Under the Milky Way-The Church
Any song by the Jam :D
The Killing Moon-Echo and the Bunnymen
Any Plimsouls!
I Feel Fine-Beatles
Day Tripper-Beatles
Does anyone want to attempt The Smiths? (Johnny Marr is a tough Ricknut to crack!)-there are a number of instructional YouTube vids on Smiths songs
Some early Who-no smashing, please. :D

That's all I can think of at the moment, but it's a start.

We might want to coordinate who's going to play what for which song as well!
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Re: Song lists for so Cal `08 Jam session?

Post by ben_brown »

Early Who? I'll play bass on You Won't get Fooled Again........ :wink:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

ben_brown wrote:Early Who? I'll play bass on You Won't get Fooled Again........ :wink:
Like so?! :shock: :D :wink: :

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IfDE-ZvfOwU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IfDE-ZvfOwU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

That's a really long song! 9 minutes?! And the synth?!
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

Who needs a synth!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Great vid, I have been working on this song as the Lemon Antennas are doing it. It looks and sounds like John is jamming around a bit as a lot of his parts are quite different from the original recording, good for me as I would prefer to improvise a little with this song.

As to the song list for SoCal, I think Gates Of Delirium and Yes' version of America should be included, for sure. These should be a piece of cake for, say, Gary Clauson or Charly G. :mrgreen:
rick_ovic
RRF Consultant

Post by rick_ovic »

It's bad enough having to sit back here in Melbourne and think about SoCal from the sidelines this year, and now you guys wanna play "Won't Get Fooled Again"!!?? :twisted:

I wanna play the drums...I wanna play the drums.....I wanna play the drums! Waaaaaaaaa! :( :( :(

I've just finished recording my own version of this song, using a '62 Gibson Les Paul Junior and a Rickenbacker 4003s-8. Boy, what I'd give to be at the SoCal jam!

I'm there with you in spirit everyone! :mrgreen:
'59 425, '59 335, '60 335, '60 360, '60 335F, '60 345F, '64 RM 1999, '65 RM 1998, '65 360-12, '66 335, '67 450-12, '72 4001 '72 4001, '75 4000, '75 4000CS, '00 700S, '01 700C, '01 700S-12, '01 730S-FH, '06 660 DCM
mrs_brown
Intermediate Member

Post by mrs_brown »

There is still time Darren.. you can share a room with... uh.. let's see.. you and Graham would probably be a bad idea, you and Aitch maybe, Haven't heard from Dave so I dont think that is a possibility and you two would keep the whole hotel awake. We would let you share a room but one of us snores.. and he denies it.. Wish you were on the plane already. Hope to see you soon.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

rick_ovic wrote:It's bad enough having to sit back here in Melbourne and think about SoCal from the sidelines this year, and now you guys wanna play "Won't Get Fooled Again"!!?? :twisted:

I wanna play the drums...I wanna play the drums.....I wanna play the drums! Waaaaaaaaa! :( :( :(

I've just finished recording my own version of this song, using a '62 Gibson Les Paul Junior and a Rickenbacker 4003s-8. Boy, what I'd give to be at the SoCal jam!

I'm there with you in spirit everyone! :mrgreen:
You still have time to make it here, Trotty!! Would be nice to have another go at "Sink Or Swim" with ya! :D

I'll play bass on The Smithereens "Blood And Roses".
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I'll learn some of The Jam's basslines. Are any drummers going to be there? Unfortunatley, the drummer of my band is too cool for school and won't come.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

blueflamerick wrote:I'll learn some of The Jam's basslines. Are any drummers going to be there? Unfortunatley, the drummer of my band is too cool for school and won't come.
Learn to play Start. That's 2 songs in one. :wink:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

blueflamerick wrote:I'll learn some of The Jam's basslines. Are any drummers going to be there? Unfortunatley, the drummer of my band is too cool for school and won't come.
I'm hoping my brother in law will show up. A great drummer, but he is always too busy to jam! :x
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'll talk to our drummer today. He also plays guitar and bass, and he likes my Ricks, so...

Darren, you could stay in my extra room, if you can manage sleeping on an air mattress. There are a few guitars and amps in the room if that's any consolation. :D
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

You guys are killing me... I too will be there in spirit and hope we get constant updates and pictures to get us through the weekend!
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

johnallg wrote:You guys are killing me... I too will be there in spirit and hope we get constant updates and pictures to get us through the weekend!
+1 in a major way... :(
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

johnallg wrote:You guys are killing me... I too will be there in spirit and hope we get constant updates and pictures to get us through the weekend!
Not to worry John - If I can make it down there Saturday I will try to set up a "live feed" for all you displaced refugees. :mrgreen:
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”