Is Google Making Us Stupid?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Is Google Making Us Stupid?

Post by johnallg »

Ha! Found it!

http://www.rickresource.com/phpBB3/view ... 1&t=383206

The first vid is doing Rush YYZ
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

Thanks John...that was fascinating. I wonder if she's really polytasking, or if the performance of the piece itself has somehow become a whole. I enjoyed what she did, but in one sense it doesn't seem too different from someone playing a huge pipe organ in church, or is it? Dr. Bob...calling Dr. Bob.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

johneek wrote:Thanks John...that was fascinating. I wonder if she's really polytasking, or if the performance of the piece itself has somehow become a whole. I enjoyed what she did, but in one sense it doesn't seem too different from someone playing a huge pipe organ in church, or is it? Dr. Bob...calling Dr. Bob.
She's playing the drums, bass, guitars, melodies, etc., so that would be a LOT to integrate into a whole. Dr. Bob?
dr_bob
RRF Consultant

Post by dr_bob »

Now if she were talking on a cell phone and driving while doing all of the musical parts that would be polytasking :o .

Whatever she's doing, she's certainly is good at it. She reminds me of the street corner performers who are one-man bands. I'm going to bet that they learn one instrumental part at a time and then add another integrating them ultimately into one performance. I don't think they take requests for songs they haven't ever played -- or do they? I'll ask a couple of people who study this sort of thing, but my guess is that it's not polytasking.

Jason, you are a late GenXer so you've had some of the same technology experiences early in life that are similar to GenYers. Most people consider GenY to be people born from 1980 to 2000. I disagree with that a bit. I think GenY runs about 1980 through 1996/97 and then we are into a whole other cohort.

By the way, don't you guys ever sleep?
The world is made of stories not atoms and every guitar has a story.
alanz
Intermediate Member

Post by alanz »

melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Hmmmm.... this is an interesting thread--I didn't want to comment until I took the time to read the article.

I think the internet has certainly changed many of my perceptions, and has made research (a big part of what I do with our home business) a whole lot easier.... and a whole lot more efficient! However, I am realizing that it also takes a lot of the spontaneity out of life.... In recent years if I find myself feeling bored it is too easy to waste an hour or two getting lost in cyberspace instead of going for a walk and enjoying the day.... However, I am glad that I have this favorite online hangout, where I have made a few real friends, so that's sort of a trade-off. There's nothing cooler than meeting some of your online friends face to face for the first time! :D

BTW, I have always been an avid reader, and I don't feel that the internet has diminished my enjoyment of a good book in any way.... that's a whole different level of reading than I get online. When I peruse the internet I am mainly interested in facts and ideas, but the books I read are mainly fiction, and I still enjoy getting completely lost in the story.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”