Re: Who's up for a So Cal Minicon Saturday, May 8th?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

s4001

Post by s4001 »

No matter how many stands, never seem to be able to find one when you need it.
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Looks like it was a great time!
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

It's hard to believe that a week has gone by already!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

s4001 wrote:No matter how many stands, never seem to be able to find one when you need it.
That's because one of your band mates left it behind at the last jam. I'll bring it by tonight. I had the stand at this jam, but I forgot to give it to you before you left.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Doh! Forgot about that.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Getting a jump on the next one, I'd like to do The Mavericks "Oh What A Crying Shame". We also need to do some Searchers and/or Hollies. Who wants to sing Graham Nash's parts?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

elreydlp wrote:Getting a jump on the next one, I'd like to do The Mavericks "Oh What A Crying Shame". We also need to do some Searchers and/or Hollies. Who wants to sing Graham Nash's parts?
Well, David Crosby was in a local LB bar doing stand up comedy a couple of weeks back (really, he was, my roomie Nikol got photos), so maybe if Nash is in these parts as well, maybe I'll bump into him, and we'll get lucky and have the opportunity to talk Nash into showing up and doing them himself..... nah, we wouldn't get that lucky. ;)

We also barely scratched the surface of some of the 80s and 90s Rickenbands.

I'd love to do some Searchers and Hollies btw. :)
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

elreydlp wrote:Getting a jump on the next one, I'd like to do The Mavericks "Oh What A Crying Shame". We also need to do some Searchers and/or Hollies. Who wants to sing Graham Nash's parts?
I'd love to bring some new songs like those of The Searchers and The Hollies into the mix. We said we'd do a little tribute to Doug Fieger this past one, but we forgot about it with all that was going on.

I like Gary's idea of a sign-up sheet for which people will play which song, especially for the bassists. The guitarists wind up picking all the songs and then bring chord charts with. The bassists can't do that so easily! Then I wind up learning certain songs and someone else who doesn't know how to play them on bass winds up in the jam. Then I wind up playing songs that I don't know, but maybe one of the other bassists at the jam does.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

rickenbrother wrote: I like Gary's idea of a sign-up sheet for which people will play which song, especially for the bassists. The guitarists wind up picking all the songs and then bring chord charts with. The bassists can't do that so easily! Then I wind up learning certain songs and someone else who doesn't know how to play them on bass winds up in the jam. Then I wind up playing songs that I don't know, but maybe one of the other bassists at the jam does.
Joey, I think you raise an excellent point about the awkwardness of the situation. :(
A Sign -up sheet is probably the solution, especially with larger attendance jam sessions....
That and a combination of more Pre-Jam practices to get batches of songs grouped together....
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

8mileshigher wrote:
rickenbrother wrote: I like Gary's idea of a sign-up sheet for which people will play which song, especially for the bassists. The guitarists wind up picking all the songs and then bring chord charts with. The bassists can't do that so easily! Then I wind up learning certain songs and someone else who doesn't know how to play them on bass winds up in the jam. Then I wind up playing songs that I don't know, but maybe one of the other bassists at the jam does.
Joey, I think you raise an excellent point about the awkwardness of the situation. :(
A Sign -up sheet is probably the solution, especially with larger attendance jam sessions....
That and a combination of more Pre-Jam practices to get batches of songs grouped together....
This is exactly the way I've felt both times I've gotten to play at these. It's manic. You go from zero to hero and back to zero again, based (bassed?) on if you know the particular tune or not. And with the volume, it's harder to get my ears dialed in.
Tom

Edit: I forgot to mention.... I do a CSN and a Hollies cover that are on my website: http://www.beatbyrd.com
Click on the "Misc. covers" tab. Both have an Allan Clarke/Graham Nash flavor to the vocals.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

This looks like it was a really good time. I'll keep trying to make one. Mark
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

I know this was a mini-con. Does anyone in SoCal have the occaisional jam that I might attend? Mark
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

ricmic wrote:I know this was a mini-con. Does anyone in SoCal have the occaisional jam that I might attend? Mark
We try to have these "minicon" events every couple of months, which are our jams. :) You can probably make one. There was a hiccup/hiccough in our planning for the March event, so we skipped it altogether and went straight for May. Next one will probably be in July. I'll get on it in the next week. :)

Start picking and practicing your songs ladies and gents. We need a minimum ten songs out of each player. :) I am figuring 6 hours of maybe scheduled songs, an hour max of any guest band sets, and maybe an hour or so's worth of free jamming, and a pizza break, of course. Makes me tired just thinking about it.. . . . :lol:
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Paul, and everybody, I'll keep trying. Work, of course beckons, but I will hope. Mark
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

I'm just curious.... Is there going to be a big SoCal confluence in August this year? It seems like that's been the tradition since the 75th in 2006, but haven't seen any posts about a big one yet for this year.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”