advice please anyone on hosting a minicon..

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fluffy
Intermediate Member

advice please anyone on hosting a minicon..

Post by fluffy »

I am tickling the notion of hosting a local mini-con and I'm just looking for some suggestions on how yours have worked, also , do I need permission from Mr.Hall to use the name "Rickenbacker" and pictures of them on fliers? are there ever special guest appearances ?? potlucks?? raffles?? contests like shiniest glo or most beat up or best maintained... y'know, just those basic kinda inquiries to assure that yes I am crazy and gettin in WAAAAYYY over my head :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
8mileshigher

Re: advice please anyone on hosting a minicon..

Post by 8mileshigher »

Calling Paul A. ---- calling Paul A. :!: :!: :!:
:D :D :D

Seems to me that Paulie posted some words of wisdom on the topic of Mini Con fundamentals on some other thread in the Confluences section, maybe a year or so ago.... Ah, here's the thread I was thinking of Confluence FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=387360#p519728

Also, you can check the thread on the upcoming San Fran Bay Area Confluence... its in the works, the planning stages and you can follow along the various steps that Kira is coordinating....

And there was a thread started about a potential PNW Confluence, so there are some other interested folks in the Washington area, Craig, that you can coordinate with .... :wink:
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Craig, how are you at herding cats? :lol:

There's a mini-con in the planning stages, as Rich said, in the SF Bay Area. Look for our thread in the Confluences section of the forum and follow along with the madness. And read Paul's threads about get-togethers in the LA area. You will learn a lot about these things. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Well, since I've already thought an answer to this question once before, I'll quote myself...er, copy and paste myself..previous answer? You get the idea:
The process for setting up a minicon is actually quite simple:

1.) Find out who are and how many of your local fellow Rick owners and forum members are*
2.) Ask who's interested in getting together
3.) Find a suitable venue-we usually use the showcase room of a local rehearsal studio, buy an 8 hour block of time, haggle a slightly discounted rate, and split the cost.
3.) Set a date that's on a convenient day, and with enough advance notice for folks to make arrangements to attend.
4.) Keep hammering home reminders to all prospective attendees until the hammer breaks...in a diplomatic and humorous manner, of course. (this is the "cat herding" part)
5.) Get a prospective song list together, and if possible, jam with a few of the guys here and there ahead of time on some of the songs you want to play. You can pre-learn a lot of lyrics and music on your own just by watching live you tube videos, and googling the songs you're interested in playing. This site is also helpful, though like everything else in this world, imperfect: http://www.azchords.com/m.html
6.) Booze and snacks are to be encouraged! (We order pizza about half way through )
7.) Have fun, take lots of pics, and shoot some video!
8.) Post the photos and video profusely on the forum after the event to encourage envy, regret, and future attendance among those locals who missed out!

*Rich, Joey, and I have taken to trolling this forum on the lookout for new forum on the lookout for new local forum memb ers so we can guilt ambush them into having a good time by showing up at the next jam; don't accept "I'm not much of a player" for a refusal or answer.

Sometimes we have a band as a guest appearance, but remember, you want to keep the momentum going and encourage participation by everyone involved, so a band should probably do about a 30-35 minute set max, and maybe be up for sticking around to jam, if possible.
Last edited by paologregorio on Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

kiramdear wrote:Craig, how are you at herding cats? :lol:
LOL! Ain't that the truth! :wink: :lol: :oops:
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

herding cats :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I like that.
thank you , Kira, and Paul for the links and insights. I'd like to make it to one and meet and jam , and hopefully there will be one in the Seattle area someday. I'm up on the Olympic Peninsula, about an hour and a half from Seattle . I know there are some fellow Rick owners in the area so I'd foresee starting small and if it went annual picking up eventually :)
I did think of a catchy name though in the meantime.... P.R.O.M. Peninsula Rickenbacker Owner Meeting 8) 8) 8) I wonder if Mr. Hall would like to be guest of honor, he's not from the Peninsula , but he's a Rickenbacker owner in the most literal sense!!
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Cheers, Craig! :)

The SF thing is in stage 3 of Paul's program right now, about to enter stage 4 and 5 simultaneously. Can't wait for stage 6 & 7! :lol:

Say, Washington isn't so far away. Why don't you plan to come down and join us in San Rafael? :)
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”