JakeFest in SoCal during October...who's in?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

SCARF-JakeFest in SoCal during October...who's in?

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote: I am not in charge. I am not in charge. I am not in charge.
shamustwin wrote:Thanks for taking charge, Paul. :wink:
rickendelic wrote:Isn't it great how Paul takes charge? :wink:

Maybe Paulie is practicing some of those Law School tactics... deniable presumptions, or something like that ?
:D
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Re: JakeFest in SoCal during October...who's in?

Post by elreydlp »

paologregorio wrote:
JakeK wrote: 9. What non-Rics are allowed?
-NONE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

********Skip's whole surf set was Fender-ish last time,********

How'd I get nominated to be put in charge by the way? I am not in charge. I am not in charge. I am not in charge.
I resemble that! I played at least half the set with your 330 and would have played more if I took off the bridge cover. Since it wasn't my guitar, I didn't want to presume.

I, for one, feel in safe hands with you in charge. :P

BTD who set up the SG101 Convention at The Starting Gate asked for a weeks respite, and promised to get back to me then.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I like the "Starting Gate" for a venue. Close, and it has food and booze, as well as a stage. I hope it has a house P.A. as well. I really don't like setting those things up, which is why the studio's nice, but obviously it's a bit small for this one. . . it was a bit small for the last one! :lol:
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

doctorwho wrote:
windchimp wrote:Hmmmmm....... :twisted:
Thinking of a 4002 in your hands, Ross? :twisted:
Always thinking Gary! :twisted:
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

paologregorio wrote:I like the "Starting Gate" for a venue. Close, and it has food and booze, as well as a stage. I hope it has a house P.A. as well. I really don't like setting those things up, which is why the studio's nice, but obviously it's a bit small for this one. . . it was a bit small for the last one! :lol:
Whatever you decide, Paul. It always seems to work out when you're in charge. And if something should happen to you, Al Haig has already announced that he will be in charge. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

paologregorio wrote:How'd I get nominated to be put in charge by the way? I am not in charge. I am not in charge. I am not in charge.
Hmm, let's see:

Paul: A man who was a great teacher to his group of people.
Gregory: vigilant, watchman.
Azpeitia: "down the rock", in Basque.

Sounds like you've got the right name to be in charge of this years SCARF! :mrgreen:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
datru

Post by datru »

Can someone help a noob out? I have many questions...

How do these things work exactly? Is there a play list? How many people play at once? Do you have to sign up for a specific song? Are we all going off the same tabs? Rehearsals? Do we put 20 guitarists on stage playing "Mr. Tambourine Man" at the same time? Do we all just drink and gawk at each others guitars? (I think I know the answer to that one.)

Anyway, a primer to how this all goes down would be welcome.

Thanks!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Yes.
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

shamustwin wrote:Yes.
Beat me to it! :lol:

This time around we should get 20 basses on stage and do Big Bottom... 8)
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

datru wrote:Can someone help a noob out? I have many questions...

How do these things work exactly?
We're still trying to figure that one out; they vary by event. Basically we toss around a bunch of song ideas, a number of us bring a pile of charts, email each other a bunch more of the same and more, and we try to practice them.

Is there a play list?
Sort of; usually we list everything we want to play here and guys will sound off as to what songs they want to play. We've gradually been building a "set list" of sorts, meaning a lot of songs always get played at the jams, and it's an expanding number. :) I want to incorporate about four or five Kinks songs at this jam, the beauty of which is that one can learn two Kinks riffs and know how to play ten of their hits!

How many people play at once?
It varies. If it's a really obscure song, we are lucky to have a trio, otherwise it's whoever wants to. I think we maxed out at about eight guitars on "Eight Miles High" when the Byrds Collective played, six of which were Rick 12s.

Do you have to sign up for a specific song?
We want to do that for this jam, but usually we just call it out; we'll take turns calling out songs, or pow wow five songs at a time and take turns coaxing each other up onstage. We need more singers. A few of us sing ourselves hoarse at these things, even using the correct diaphragm singing technique!

Are we all going off the same tabs?
That, and reading off each other's fretboards. I try to avoid charts whenever possible, ut I still end up using them plenty often. the thing that sucks about charts is that they have to go on music stands, which usually gets in the way of taking really cool photos of everyone's sweet guitars! IF I could GET an overhead projector from somewhere it would solve everything; one chart, projected onto the wall, really bit-an easy read for everyone, and no music stands to trip over.

Rehearsals?
Kenny Howes says no on principle, but Rich, Dan, Collin, Joey, Brian Fitz, Bob S., Gary C, myself, and a few others have done a bit of this before some jams to keep the "strangling the cat" to a minimum. It's tough to organize though.

Do we put 20 guitarists on stage playing "Mr. Tambourine Man" at the same time?
Almost; I think we had 8 for the Byrds collectives' "EMH" jam. . .

Do we all just drink and gawk at each others guitars? (I think I know the answer to that one.)
That is a significant portion of the events

Anyway, a primer to how this all goes down would be welcome.
Jeez, weren't you paying attention at the jam before last? You were there! ;) :lol: :lol: Actually these are all really good questions. Overall the jams are casual affairs; it's all about having fun, but they could use a bit more structure. We're going to try to to have sign up sheets this time. Just getting the place, arriving at a rough estimate of attendees, guestimating which songs we're going to play and emailing out the charts, pulling in a few drummers to play, and keeping it roughly moving is an overwhelming task in and of itself, so I do apologize for the times when the jams have dead spots orare hanging together by a thread. They're still a lot of fun though.

FYI; I have a general rule/guideline that I face a constant challenge in attempting to enforce. The guideline is " think of songs you can play drunk", which means 3-4 chords per song; it's to limit the potential for mid-song onstage train wrecks

We show up, set up, and try to get things rolling with a a few "standards", usually Beatles or Byrds, and we take it from there. Whilst everyone's eating pizza during the mid-jam break, a few of us insurgents take over and play a set of KISS, or Echo and the Bunnymen. We've also tried to have one forum member's band perform at the last few jams.

Oh, by the way, Smiling face down will play if you'll have us-the typical 30-35 minute set, Ramones style, and quick with the setup/breakdown.

Thanks!
Last edited by paologregorio on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
datru

Post by datru »

paologregorio wrote: Jeez, weren't you paying attention at the jam before last? You were there! ;) :lol: :lol:
Even in person the organization of the event escaped me. :D

(I was only there for a few minutes near the end.)

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Datru

as a Newbie, you're going to have to pick out at least six songs where you do a stunning lead-vocals performance on, as if you were Roger Daltrey and another bunch of songs, where you anchor down riveting guitar solos in the tradition of Hendrix or Eddie VH. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

After your debut, you can always be signing autographs in between buying rounds of drinks for the Jammers :lol:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

8mileshigher wrote:Datru

as a Newbie, you're going to have to pick out at least six songs where you do a stunning lead-vocals performance on, as if you were Roger Daltrey and another bunch of songs, where you anchor down riveting guitar solos in the tradition of Hendrix or Eddie VH. :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

After your debut, you can always be signing autographs in between buying rounds of drinks for the Jammers :lol:
Yeah, and for the Daltrey bit, you either have to sport a poofy, dippity-do shag hairstyle (a wig will wor, I've considered one myself for some shows) like he wore on the Smothers Brothers, or else go with the fringe-y, tassle thingy Daltrey wore at Woodstock.. . ;)

For the guitar portion, plaing behind the head is optional, but make sure you have the whammy bar dives, two handed technique, and toggle switch feedback wiggle tricks nailed! :D
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Isn't a "whammy bar dive" what happens at last call?

Or is that the name of the place where this is being held?
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
datru

Post by datru »

paologregorio wrote: Yeah, and for the Daltrey bit, you either have to sport a poofy, dippity-do shag hairstyle...
Sorry my most of my hair has migrated to my ears and nose.

If I sing...well, have you guys ever heard of post-traumatic stress syndrome? You will.

As for my guitar playing, I do a fantastic guitar version of the classic, John Cage composition, 4′33″ (look it up).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”