SCARF/Ricktoberfest® 2010 So Cal Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

SCARF/Ricktoberfest® 2010 So Cal Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Post by 8mileshigher »

OK, its official - this is the announcement :D
The 6th Annual Southern Calif Annual Rickenbacker Fest - SCARF/Ricktoberfest® 2010

Yesterday, Joey, Paulie and I visited the Starting Gate in Los Alamitos and have made the arrangements with the manager for SCARF to convene there on Saturday October 16th. 10 AM to 8 PM

The Starting Gate
5052 katella Ave,
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Tel: (562) 598 8957
SCARF/Ricktoberfest® will, of course, incorporate the 8) Jake-Jam session that has been in the works.

The Starting Gate recently hosted the Surf Guitar festival (thanks Skip for the recommendation!) so they have a feel for hosting groups showing up and plugging in lots of guitars, basses and singing. :D

They have a very large room behind the stage, complete with lots of tables, that will be perfect for the Display room for guitars, basses and Confluence workshops. There is a big dance floor in front of the main stage and the “regular” crowed at Starting Gate are dancing up a storm on Friday and Saturday nights. They have three bars stationed around the restaurant and dance floor so that patrons don’t have to wait in a long line for beverages. The restaurant serves very good food that is reasonably priced.

The closest hotel is the Marriott Residence Inn across the street at 4931 Los Alamitos Ave. We will also advise on some other lodging places in the nearby vicinity. There is pplenty of parking, front and back at the Starting Gate.

10:00 AM is official time for start and setting up. Breakfast is available at the Starting Gate. Basic jam sessions will be scheduled all day. We are thinking of having Jam sessions with intermittently scheduling some Forum member’s Ric bands for short 30 minute sets. Rotating between the Jam sessions and band sessions every couple of hours, so that folks will get a chance to jam and not have to wait around for hours and hours ….. We will use the same Backline equipment all day for everyone for the Jams and Bands, so that time is not lost (and people getting bored) with constant setting up and tearing down gear.

Bands that are interested in participating should check with Paulie and Joey so we can assign a time.

We will have to tear down everything at 8PM as the Starting Gate has their regular Saturday night entertainment scheduled. Stay tuned for details !!
Attachments
Map location, Los Alamitos Ave,  east of the 605 Freeway
Map location, Los Alamitos Ave, east of the 605 Freeway
staticmap.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
Starting Gate front view
Starting Gate front view
outside_day.jpg (10.86 KiB) Viewed 6283 times
collin

Re: SCARF 2010 -- So Calif Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Post by collin »

Great, I'm in of course!

Classic irony of it all is that I have lived in Los Alamitos.....walking distance from the Starting Gate.....for 15 years....until about six weeks ago when I moved an hour away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Should be a great time, I'm looking forward to it.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I just might be getting there early for breakfast that day. Breakfast for $4 and the foods we tried at The Starting Gate were pretty good...surely much better than that restaurant down the street from the Santa Ana HI!

I will make up a "Sign-up Sheet". The first actual band(s) that ask for a place will get first choice of time.
Might want to have certain people sign up to jam certain songs. I hate being up there to jam on songs I don't know, then someone else gets on bass guitar and tries to play songs THEY don't know, but I do!
The stage is a decent size but a bit shallow and not anywhere as large as the Backline stage. About 5 people would be okay on the stage at once. More than 6 would be really cramped, especially if people bring music stands on the stage,
If we have several bands, we might want to have a stage manager to keep bands on schedule. Any volunteers? :D

Thanks again to Skip for suggesting The Starting Gate.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

My burger was char-broiled and super tasty, as was everything else on my plate. In addition to tasting great, the plate presentation was visually appealing as well.

Smiling face down is in for the event. :D
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Here's a link to the Sign-up Sheet.

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/SCARF_10_SUS

It's all wide open right now. There will probably just be a few actual bands performing. As far as bands go, first come, first serve with the time slots.
You can download the sheet, fill it in and email it back to me or just add your band's desired time right here if you do not have Excel. If you don't have Excel, you won't be able to open it.
Now to see if my own band would like to perform...
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
windchimp
Intermediate Member

Post by windchimp »

I'm conspiring! :twisted:
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

I'm glad you were able to check out The Starting Gate. I can vouch for the Breakfast and Bloody Mary's! A couple of the bartenders are not hard on the eyes either.
One word of warning-the break down needs to be done quickly because the Saturday Night band is usually there ready to set up at 8:00. Let me know if you need anything for the backline.
Now get out and recruit some newbies!
Skip
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

I'm really looking forward to this!

If there are any Tom Petty players, I think I can handle a lot of those songs (NOT lead), plus some Beatles, Byrds, R.E.M.

P.S.: Hotel California sounds awesome on a C63.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Excellent! Good job boys!
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Cool! Can the Shamuses play?
8mileshigher

SCARF 2010 -- So Calif Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Post by 8mileshigher »

collin wrote:
Classic irony of it all is that I have lived in Los Alamitos.....walking distance from the Starting Gate.....for 15 years....until about six weeks ago when I moved an hour away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Collin ---- maybe you can assist on the lodging recommendations since you know the neighborhood and possibly recession-impacted :( Confluence attendees might be looking for something more bargain-priced than the Marriott Residence Inn. Thanks.
8mileshigher

SCARF 2010 -- So Calif Annual Ric Fest Oct 16th

Post by 8mileshigher »

shamustwin wrote:Cool! Can the Shamuses play?

Wouldn't be a So Cal Confluence without the Shamuses ! :D 8)
Are you taking requests ?? How about that nice jangly 12-stringer tune "I've got a Picture of Her" from the first RRF CD ?
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

There was a place where several SG101 people stayed. It was close-by, very reasonable, and everyone was pleasantly surprised with the accomodations. I'll see if I can get the name.
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

Don's Turf Motel is the place. It's near the racetrack, not made of dirt!
The comments on this site are similar to what I heard from SG101ers. No one was disappointed.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... ornia.html

skip
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Skip

Thanks for posting the recommendation on Don's Turf motel.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”