MARF IV Photos

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: MARF IV Photos

Post by bassduke49 »

OK, for the bass fans, here are some attendees' basses that I photographed for my "project." (I'm not supposed to advertise here. Most of you know what I'm talking about. But for those who don't, contact me off forum.)

First is a "restoration" of a 4005 with additional conversion to an eight-string, made for GG by PW:
40058PWweb.jpg
Next likely the sole "1999" made in 2010 that didn't go to Shinseido in Japan, owned by TM:
20101999web.jpg
Besides Sir Paul McCartney's, this is the only other leftie 4001 bass made in the 1960s that John Simmons has ever seen. And now he owns it. Most likely a refin. Made in 1969:
694001LHweb.jpg
Last edited by bassduke49 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
light_my_lucky

Post by light_my_lucky »

Here Are some for you all. Thanks to all who attended...good seeing you all, and some of you again!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid= ... bc8bebef52
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

More bass:

This one is called "Great White," used by Jon Camp of Renaissance back in the late '70s early '80s. Converted with some non-Rick bridge pickup and has black-painted head face. Now owned by Dave Pascoe:
Greatwhiteweb.jpg
A one-off finish made for one of RIC's best dealers, Chris Clayton, our host of the MARF event. Chris made a nifty TRC for this Burgundy 4004L Laredo:
POR4004Lbgweb.jpg
A beautiful 4003 in Red with black trim (BT):
4003Redbtweb.jpg
And one of two gorgeous 4005WB in Burgundy that showed:
4005WBbgweb.jpg
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Thank You Paul for the GREAT bass pics.!!!!!!! I can NEVER get enough of Rickenbacker basses!!!!!

Had I been able to make it, I would have brought my Lefty 4003s8-string FG bass.
Question---Would that have been interesting enough for you to photograph????

It certainly isn't on par with the basses you shot and posted here, but, I wonder how many of these are out there.

Thanks to ALL who have shared their MARF pictures!! :D :D :D :D

Lefty4003s8

Daddy DRANK.......Daddy drank for THE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Slight correction here...and I'm sure Paul's captioning mistake was unintentional...

The 8-string 4005 was a scratchbuild, to replace a 4005 that Graham had sent me to restore, that ended up unrestorable. Graham and I got JH's approval to rebuild the bass from scratch, provided we used the hardware from the original bass (including TRC/nameplate and jackplate with serial #). The other condition is that I destroy the original body.

The reasoning was that with JH's permission, one bass was lost and one remanufactured, same serial number.

The bass that Graham sent me to restore, will be bandsawed and turned into firewood. This will make a gruesome video... The body was too hacked-up to restore, and the neck had been replaced with a 30" scale neck...so we went whole hog.

Graham was patient and enthusiastic, and I don't think I've had more fun doing a scratchbuilt project!

I'll post some photos tomorrow or Tuesday, of both build process and finished instrument, that I have taken, before I sent it to Graham ten days ago.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

So there are TWO 8-string 4005s??!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hp ... 4018_n.jpg

Thanks for the pics so far, keep 'em coming!!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

There's also a MG that I'm aware of.
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Paul W. you did an amazing job! Then to see the two side by side! I went hoping to see one 4005 and came away seeing two in BG, and the two /8s :shock: I should have the pics from my FB page up on Tuesday.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Thanks for more details, Paul. I wasn't sure about the degree of rebuild, so kept my description simple.

John, the other eight-string there belongs to Dave Pascoe and is an original round-top. I photographed it at MARF II in 2007:
40058web.jpg
There aren't many 4005/8, but there is an MG doublebound in Japan that will be featured in my "project."
ram

Post by ram »

Paul, too bad you couldn't save a couple of the body sections as illustrations/teaching tools - maybe block them in Lucite or some kind of acrylic.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Paul W. That 8-string is AWESOME!!!!!!

The 4005/8 is one of my Favorite basses of ALL time!!!! It is very unique, and has a distinctive sound.
I remember enjoying the sound of Dave Pascoe's 4005/8 at the previous MARF get together. I'd never seen or heard one in real life.

Splendid job!!!!!!!!

Lefty4003s8

NFB-418

Post by NFB-418 »

Did any forumites snag any of the raffle items?
“'What was that note?' I told him it was a B natural, the third of G dominant 7 going back to C minor, and I can't talk while I'm playing so don't ask me any more questions." - Ron Carter to Miles Davis
bassman7365

Post by bassman7365 »

About The Show!

First, and foremost, I would like to thank Chris and Shelby for opening up their shop/home to us for the day.

This being my first MARF, I had no idea what to expect. I can now say, without equivication, the collectors of Rickenbacker instruments are some of the coolest cats I have ever had the opportunity to meet. It made no difference if a person was there to browse, or showcase; had many instruments or only a few; had been a collector for many years or a neophyte; it was made sure that they were made to feel welcome. It was fantastic to put actual faces to all the words and pictures I have seen here on the RRF. The comraderie of this group of people is something else. I was fortunate enough to have closed a deal on a Ric. A '95 Fireglo 4004L from Erik K. I hope others were able to work out a few deals too! I am already looking forward to the next one.

I have tomorrow off from work and will attempt to load the pics I shot. I have many. Thanks for the great experience, you WILL be seeing me again! Fair warning :lol:
'81 Walnut 4001; '95 Fireglo 4004L; '97 Maplego 4003;
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bassduke49 wrote:Thanks for more details, Paul. I wasn't sure about the degree of rebuild, so kept my description simple.

John, the other eight-string there belongs to Dave Pascoe and is an original round-top. I photographed it at MARF II in 2007:
40058web.jpg
There aren't many 4005/8, but there is an MG doublebound in Japan that will be featured in my "project."
Thanks Paul - 2008 was my first (actually only) MARF, so I never saw that one.
8mileshigher

MARF IV Photos

Post by 8mileshigher »

Are there MARF photos posted elsewhere besides Facebook ? :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”