7th Annual SCARF - This One Goes To 11!

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: 7th Annual SCARF - This One Goes To 11!

Post by JakeK »

Hey Jim, tell 'em how you got and like that gift from me? Your thoughts on Gary's McGuinn LE?
Last edited by JakeK on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Set 2
JimK
Attachments
1968 360/12 FG
1968 360/12 FG
100_0358.jpg
100_0357.jpg
100_0356.jpg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Set 3
JimK
Attachments
100_0374.jpg
100_0366.jpg
100_0365.jpg
100_0363.jpg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

And the final set 4
JimK
Attachments
100_0385.jpg
100_0381.jpg
100_0377.jpg
100_0365.jpg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

JakeK wrote:Hey Jim, tell 'em how you got and like that gift from me? Your thoughts on Gary's McGuinn LE?
What Jake's referring to is his birthday gift to me of a Ric-O-Sound box. Thanks, Jake. That was really generous of you. I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Yeah, the McGuinn LE had some interesting control modifications; a master volume knob, and a tone control for the compressor. Also, I noticed that the individual string pairs were spaced closer on the McGuinn guitar than they are on my stock 360. It certainly was a lovely guitar.
JimK
Rhythmer

Post by Rhythmer »

Many thanks to all of the planners and organizers. A fitting tribute for Rickenbacker's 80th anniversary and an awesome, fun event! Can't wait until next year!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Excellent pix, Jim! If it's okay, I put the pic of my on on our facebook. Proud mom!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

A few more thank-yous:
Jake for the set of bass strings.
Paul W. for the autographed Premiere Guitar mag, especially since Cheyenne, my kitten had fun chewing up cover the copy I had.
Ross for getting the paper plates forks, that Diane and I forgot to load into the truck before we got to the Starting Gate.
I don't have too many snapshot pics, but I do have vids, so just be patient while I get a to edit/upload.
I may not post all my vids, because someone insisted on playing a Fender bass at a RIC celebration! :roll: You wouldn't find any other brand of guitar on a stage of a Fender celebration! Though it was an unofficial celebration, it was our opportunity to congratulate RIC for their 80th year.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
8mileshigher

7th Annual SCARF - This One Goes To 11!

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for posting the pics, Jim K, and sure glad you made it out to SCARF !!! :D
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

rickenbrother wrote:I may not post all my vids, because someone insisted on playing a Fender bass at a RIC celebration! :roll: You wouldn't find any other brand of guitar on a stage of a Fender celebration! Though it was an unofficial celebration, it was our opportunity to congratulate RIC for their 80th year.
It wasn't too brilliant having me running the sound board while that Fender was on the stage! ("Hmmm . . . low cut filter . . . wonder what that might sound like?")
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

johnhall wrote:It wasn't too brilliant having me running the sound board while that Fender was on the stage! ("Hmmm . . . low cut filter . . . wonder what that might sound like?")

Love it! :lol:

Eden.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's a good one!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

All right, I can now talk about my experience at SCARF, now that I have a few minutes to myself after a busy trip (head home tomorrow).

I arrived, and I immediately picked up good vibes. I was greeted by Paulie, Rich and Joey and I helped set up things. I presented Paulie with my original copy of Damn the Torpedoes as well as a sampler of the 2-disc 2010 Deluxe Edition. As Joey stated, I gave him a set of heavy gauge Fender bass strings that were given to me free with my Jazz, but I'm a flatwound guy these days, and they seemed perfect for Joey. I had a nice long talk with Paul W about building guitars and changing strings on a Ric 12-string, which he believes I can do. Dan-O and Gary were nice enough to bring their Rose Morris reissues and the Roger McGuinn limited edition, all of which I loved seeing.

Believe it or not, I actually only performed three numbers, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (with a more intense Jagger impression), "I Need to Know" and closed with "Refugee", with no singing voice by the end of the last song.

At the end of "Refugee", lots of people told me I had done a good job with my three songs, and I was happy for it. I knocked Dan-O's 1997 out of tune, to which Mike said after he picked it up, "Sounds great, Jake!" It was still in one piece and looked unhurt from what I could tell :lol:

Since Gary had his Townshend LE (thanks again, Gary!), I had a nice talk with John Hall about the history of that model and the rest of the artist Limited Edition models that followed it.

Although he is "whojamfan", I asked Mike what he thought of Gary's Townshend LE, and he replied, "It's a piece of wood with some metal and plastic!". I know he liked it, but I still chuckle everytime I think of that moment! :lol:

Collin was my ride home, so we went back to my hotel and had some hot tea and listened to some more original music (featuring Jason "Jdog" Mendelson on mandolin) and some of the Animals CD I made for him. Seriously, Col, we love having you over and thank you for getting to stop by.

SCARF is like Christmas for me, but without my cool cousin Marcus and my (I think) dysfunctional family. It means a lot that I get to play live and see the most beautiful instruments I can.

The Byrds Collective and John Hall's band were EXCELLENT. The addition of JimK in The Byrds Collective was really nice. Jim, I absolutely loved hearing you play, you are truly the perfect folk player. I hope the Ric-O-Sound box proves useful in your setup, and if it doesn't, you can send it back to me.

Thanks again for making yet another awesome trip worth it. You guys are the best, and it couldn't have worked out better, because at Two and a Half Men on Friday, I...

Everyone here who has been thanked has been, so I guess I don't need to say any more!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

...and since Jake neglected to do so in his account above, a BIG thanks to Jake's Mom for accompanying him and taking such an interest in your son's passion!

It was a great pleasure for Dalia and I to meet both you and your precocious, talkative, brilliant son!
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

jingle_jangle wrote:...and since Jake neglected to do so in his account above, a BIG thanks to Jake's Mom for accompanying him and taking such an interest in your son's passion!

It was a great pleasure for Dalia and I to meet both you and your precocious, talkative, brilliant son!
+1 It was nice to meet your mom, and was really surprised you didn't stay longer. Probably best Jake, the place filled up with some pretty heinous cougars after we were done, and they might have eaten you alive :lol: :lol: :lol:

The kareoke directly following the confluence was a glimpse of what hell might be like for a vocal coach. The woman who couldn't sing a single note in key on one song was topped by the guy who sang Elvis like George from "Seinfelds" father having a bad day. :shock: :lol: Pure comedy until it got old(really quick) and then it was nails on a chalkboard.

There were certainly some beautiful pieces there, and Garys Townshend was definitely awesome. The look on Jakes face when I said it was just wood and plastic was priceless, and meant as a crass joke(whoda thunk?) Comparing his git to that is like saying the hope diamond is just a rock!

Lotsa great players, and lotsa great people, quite a positive experience. It's nice to be able to add John Hall to the list of people who have told me to turn the amp down :lol: John did a great job as a soundman and we turned it down to mic it. When I jumped up there, no mic was on it, and I only had it half as loud as I do my AC30 when I play or rehearse with my own band. Oh well, all those years of cranked Hiwatt hearing damage I suppose :lol:

A big hearty thanks to Joey, Diane, Paul, Rich, John Hall, and all of the other folks who were the foundation of this event going off without a hitch. Your hard work and time are greatly appreciated, and it couldn't of happenend without such a cracker jack team of professionals. I didn't get a chance to meet everyone, but hope to see you at the next jam or confluence! :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”