7th Annual SCARF - This One Goes To 11!

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: 7th Annual SCARF - This One Goes To 11!

Post by rickenbrother »

It will be nice to meet you at SCARF, Dale! Nice to have you on board! :)

Some very important things I'd like to point out/remind everyone:

For every Rick you bring/intend to display, bring a guitar stand for it! Do not put your guitar someone else's stand without first asking, The stand might be empty because that person's Rick is being played.
Be courteous with your stage time. Do not hog the stage. The guitar amp you are plugged into is not yours for the day!.
Another way to be courteous with your stage tine is, please do not waste time on the stage. If you need to familiarize yourself with getting a particular sound from a guitar you're not accustomed to, DO THAT IN THE DISPLAY ROOM, not on the stage! Also you can ask the owners of the amps and gear on stage how to best dial in a certain sound.
If you are on the stage too long or you are wasting a lot of valuable time time on stage, you will be kindly asked to get off.
Add your name to the song list. Add your name several times, because realize that there is no way to make these things go perfectly and not every song on the list will be played.
There may be songs that are not on the list that get played.
To the people who are shy about their playing - the jam is not a talent contest and do not compare your skill to someone who has been playing a bunch of songs for many years or to a group of guys who have played the song together several times. It's a jam. Songs at jams do not usually get played perfectly. Don't worry about it. Just get in on the jams and have some fun.
You may see my name on several bass slots of the song sheet. I'm not being a stage hog, just trying to help fill up the sheet. If there is any particular song that I have my name down for, that someone else would to play bass on, just let me know, it's yours...well, there might be one or two that I won't give up! :wink:

If anyone if the So Cal area has a drummer friend that is willing to lend a drum kit for the day, please let us know.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Thanks for those rules, Joey. Hopefully, people (like me) will go in with a game plan and know exactly what they want to play.

I'm hoping to plug into a board with a Janglebox and (good) overdrive and hopefully that will be plugged into Paulie's AC-30HW or 40th Anniversary Twin. I was wondering if I should bring my Janglebox and Tube Screamer from home and load them with batteries and use them for songs I want to play on.

I've already talked with Dano and he's going to let me use one of his 6-strings, while I hope Gary Clauson brings his 1998 Townshend (for any Who numbers!) and 370/12 McGuinn (for Byrds songs).

I know for a fact that I want "Hound Dog", "Refugee" and "It's All Over Now" done, and hopefully, we'll round up nearly all the same people from the Jake and Friends Supergroup.

I'm excited...only a month away! It'll probably be like last year, on the morning of my flight, strumming lightly on an unplugged Telecaster trying to familiarize myself with the songs.

If anyone who has De-Oxit can bring it, PLEASE BRING IT. Last year, Dano was going to let me use his 360V64, and I had gotten used to it all morning in the display room. When I went onstage to play, only the neck pickup worked; no signal from the bridge whatsoever. Thankfully, he had another 6-string I could use, but I wasn't familiar with it at all, and made a solo a lot more difficult for myself than it needed to be. When Dano got home, squirted some De-Oxit in the jack, and it was back to normal. So, again, if you have De-Oxit, PLEASE BRING IT.
scotty

Post by scotty »

and a bead of sweat forms of Garys forhead........ :lol:
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I always have a can or two of De-Oxit in my gig bag and pedal board-I'll make sure to bring some, as always, to S.C.A.R.F.

It's probably a good idea for people bringing guitars they don't play regularly to check them out for proper function. I thought all of mine were a-okay last year, but the standard jack on my AZ Blue was slightly out of whack; when the cable was moved around in the jack it made noise-the problem wasn't a big deal b/c the noise doesn't manifest itself when the guitar lead is passed around the guitar strap on it's way to the amp (I don't know why all players don't do this, it provides for less stress and longer life on the inner leaf-spring type hack contracts, and also makes it less likely that one will damage the cable or jack if stepping on the cable during play), but the guy playing the guitar didn't do that; I fixed the problem after the event by adjusting the jack contacts with a pair of slim needle-nose pliers, but I wish I'd known about it before, because that slowed down the jam for a minute as well, until I ran up and "fixed" the problem.

I will most likely bring both amps Jake mentioned in his post; I usually bring both of those amps. . . I think my other Fenders and Voxes are getting jealous-haha.

I was PMd yesterday that I need to sign up for a bunch of songs that I know, other guys want to play, but on which, evidently (so far), I'm the only one who knows the "guitar 1" part for, so I'm going to sign up for those. BUT, just like Joey, I will gladly step aside for someone else who wants to play on these numbers. Just PM me here, and let me know, then go ahead and make the change on the spreadsheet.

Cheers, and looking forward to seeing everyone. 8)
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Looks like I'll have a new toy to bring that will need a little break-in. :mrgreen: What better than a SCARF jam?

Jake, I'm sure there will be enough Jangleboxes and Tube Screamers there for you to use.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

scotty wrote:and a bead of sweat forms of Garys forhead........ :lol:
:roll: :shock:
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

rickenbrother wrote: Some very important things I'd like to point out/remind everyone:
___ Lots of good and fair guidelines.......

One thing that Joey didn't say.... He, Paul, Rich, Gary, and other SoCal forum members work very, very hard lining events like this up. They spend untold hours looking for venues, lining up equipment, promoting the event, scouting hotels, herding cats, etc.
They do this on their own time and deserve mucho kudos for all of their efforts. Why not? Kudos are free. What hasn't been mentioned are the expenses that they incur in terms of paying the club, renting a drum kit, renting a P.A. system, and insuring that the event goes smoothly. This amount can run as high as $800 - $1000 or more. They should not have to bear these expenses alone, especially in light of all the sweat equity they have so freely given. It is only fair that the cost of the event be shared among all particpants.

To those who plan on attending: please slip either Joey, Paul, Rich, or Gary a twenty dollar bill at the event, if you agree. They may try and refuse it (that's the way they are), but be insistent. It would take 40 to 50 people doing this for them to just break even. I'm usually pretty cynical about people, but I believe that there is an unusually high number of decent, ethical folks that populate this forum. Like old Wilfred Brimley used to say, "It's the right thing to do and the right way to do it". End of sermon. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

beatbyrd wrote:One thing that Joey didn't say.... He, Paul, Rich, Gary, and other SoCal forum members work very, very hard lining events like this up. They spend untold hours looking for venues, lining up equipment, promoting the event, scouting hotels, herding cats, etc.
They do this on their own time and deserve mucho kudos for all of their efforts. Why not? Kudos are free. What hasn't been mentioned are the expenses that they incur in terms of paying the club, renting a drum kit, renting a P.A. system, and insuring that the event goes smoothly. This amount can run as high as $800 - $1000 or more. They should not have to bear these expenses alone, especially in light of all the sweat equity they have so freely given. It is only fair that the cost of the event be shared among all particpants.

To those who plan on attending: please slip either Joey, Paul, Rich, or Gary a twenty dollar bill at the event, if you agree. They may try and refuse it (that's the way they are), but be insistent. It would take 40 to 50 people doing this for them to just break even. I'm usually pretty cynical about people, but I believe that there is an unusually high number of decent, ethical folks that populate this forum. Like old Wilfred Brimley used to say, "It's the right thing to do and the right way to do it". End of sermon. Tom
Thank you Tom!
Dan (Danotron) and Scott (s4001) have also had key roles in the planning efforts. I'm pretty sure we will also have another special guy to thank when the time comes.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

rickenbrother wrote:Thank you Tom!
Dan (Danotron) and Scott (s4001) have also had key roles in the planning efforts. I'm pretty sure we will also have another special guy to thank when the time comes.
You're welcome, Joey. I'll try and post reminders as we get closer to SCARF. It's easy for folks to get caught up in the event itself and forget what it took to fund it.

For example, there is a sizable charge just for the display room. I naively suggested not having a display room (to save $$$). You should have heard the responses!!! Uhh, I won't be suggesting that again any time soon.

I certainly didn't mean to leave Dan or Scott (or their efforts) off that list. Sorry, guys.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Wasn't aware that there are up-front expenses involved, and will be happy to contribute to helping defray the costs.

Hmmm... :idea: would one of you rent me some space in a guitar stand?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

doctorwho wrote:
scotty wrote:and a bead of sweat forms of Garys forhead........ :lol:
:roll: :shock:
I hope that's a joke, Scotty, because I asked Gary if I could use his McGuinn, and he brought it, and while he was putting straps on, he said he had no problem with it, and to be careful. And I was...it's still intact, isn't it? :lol:

And thank you, Tom, for pointing out what you did. I thanked those mentioned in person last year, and I was grateful that I could not only come out, but that they got it together. SCARF of last year was the top highlight of 2010 for me, bar nothing.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ah just pulling yer leg Jake when i was in Tonys i was paranoid i was going to hit the ceiling fan with a bass! :lol:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

One last thing I want to suggest (hmm...seems like my suggestions are getting through?):
If you're going to wear a belt (which I don't, mostly because my pants have always fit snugly on me), make sure to fasten it to the side. I know it doesn't look right, but I read in The Beatles' forum that it will help save guitar backs.

George Harrison did it and so does Susanna Hoffs
Attachments
georgebeltbuckle.JPG
Dang it...I forgot to write "buckle"
Dang it...I forgot to write "buckle"
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Last time I buckled my belt to the side I walked like a crab for a week! :shock:
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

It's simpler than that, Jake. Wear a t-shirt and don't have it tucked in.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”