2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days ?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Post by kiramdear »

I think it would be nice to give away prizes at these things. Just to add a little excitement. Like "oldest instrument", "newest", "best customization", etc., for example ... I dunno, what do you think? :)
All I wanna do is rock!
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Good idea! Here are some other categories:

Best Guitar Face

Dustiest JetGlo (I'm a contender)

Thinnest Neck (the guitar/bass, not the player!)

Most Instruments Played during the jam
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Great pictures Doug. Thanks for putting those together and thanks again for bringing your bass rig. That cabinet is great (Acme B-2, right?). I just look at mine now and shake my head. And don't worry about not knowing the bass models. I was overwhelmed by the different guitars. I guess I knew there were alot of flavors, but I couldn't match numbers to models. I liked your 650C, Silver & Black with a 24 fret maple neck. Cool looking.

...best guitar face. nice.

I win for leftiest instruments.
'turn up the bass'
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for posting those great BARC photos, Doug ! ! :D
Just got home two hours ago .....

That Birthday 330 of Gary's is a brand new 2013 with a real small headstock... very cool looking. 8) He had a story to go with it.

Some kid ordered the 330 through an on-line dealer unbeknownst to his parents; it arrived and the kid kept the Ric hidden somewhere. Eventually the credit card bill came, and the jig was up on the kid and his folks were mighty upset. Because it was already over 30 days they were not able to return it -- and hence they sold it and Gary was able to land a nearly brand new 2013 FireGlo at a very good discounted price. :wink: Who knows, maybe that kid will be sitting-in at one of our Confluences in a few year's time -- as he appears to have gotten bitten by the Rickenbacker bug ! :lol:

= = = = = =
Re prizes at the Confluence ---- I think Kira is trying to get herself an "oldest Ric" award, for her cool little Holy Grail Tulip she recently acquired !! :lol: :lol: :lol: Someone's going to have to bring a 1930's of 40's lap steel to beat her Tulip out for the oldest.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Great pics, looks like it was a great time!
8) 8) 8)

Thanks for posting 'em!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

8mileshigher wrote: That Birthday 330 of Gary's is a brand new 2013 with a real small headstock... very cool looking. 8) He had a story to go with it.

Some kid ordered the 330 through an on-line dealer unbeknownst to his parents; it arrived and the kid kept the Ric hidden somewhere. Eventually the credit card bill came, and the jig was up on the kid and his folks were mighty upset. Because it was already over 30 days they were not able to return it -- and hence they sold it and Gary was able to land a nearly brand new 2013 FireGlo at a very good discounted price. :wink: Who knows, maybe that kid will be sitting-in at one of our Confluences in a few year's time -- as he appears to have gotten bitten by the Rickenbacker bug ! :lol:
Yeah, he might...once he gets out of jail! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JimK
modrock

Post by modrock »

analogpackrat wrote:
modrock wrote: And yeah Doug, it was a bit loud, probably due to me cranking the little Vibroverb up and adjusting the volume on my guitar so I could hear myself play with you and Rich. I think I need some pedals, yes ?
It wasn't you, Gary--we all got a little energetic the second half! I think we had more (and louder) amps this time around, too. Your amp has the same problem mine does--it tends to beam across the room where everyone else can hear it better than you can hear it yourself. You should try the tilt legs. I plan to make a tilt-back stand for mine. Pedals can be fun, but I think your amp sounded great for the classic chimey stuff--especially with the 12-string. If you want dirt from a Fender it's either going to be pretty dang loud or you'll want a pedal!

I'm having another go at the pics. I had a small window to post yesterday and the forum size limit bit me again. I've resized and will start putting them up here.

Thanks Doug, is that what those chrome things are on the side of the amp ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Ah,very nice,everyone,looks like a splendid time was had!
I've wanted try one of those Acme B cabs out for a while,they're supposed to be da bomb...
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

woodyng wrote:Ah,very nice,everyone,looks like a splendid time was had!
I've wanted try one of those Acme B cabs out for a while,they're supposed to be da bomb...
Yeah, I was really impressed with the amp/cab - I think it was a GK head? Nice and deep sounding with plenty of volume (remember that horrible amp we had to use a couple of years ago?) - unfortunately no double Trace stack this year though! So thanks to Doug for bringing his! Lefty4001 brought an SWR Baby Blue as well but didn't get to play through it unfortunately - apparently it couldn't compete with the drums.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here are just a couple of pictures -- but unfortunately, everything came out blurred .... :( :evil:
My apologies that I didn't have decent photos to post :(
Attachments
Michael with his 1997 ReIssue
Michael with his 1997 ReIssue
Doug with his JetGlo 375
Doug with his JetGlo 375
Gary's new 330 and Lennon signature model 350
Gary's new 330 and Lennon signature model 350
Kira's arsenal in the display room
Kira's arsenal in the display room
Kira and Gary
Kira and Gary
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

A few more of my messed up, blurred pictures.
Very sorry folks that they came out so bad .... :(
My sincere apologies for the lousy photography ....
Attachments
A very cool MapleGlo 1997 re-issue
A very cool MapleGlo 1997 re-issue
Another view of Doug
Another view of Doug
Johnnie with his cool JetGlo "S" Bass
Johnnie with his cool JetGlo "S" Bass
John with his very cool JetGlo special 330 with all-Black hardware
John with his very cool JetGlo special 330 with all-Black hardware
Michael on the drum kit
Michael on the drum kit
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Lefty4001 wrote:Great pictures Doug. Thanks for putting those together and thanks again for bringing your bass rig. That cabinet is great (Acme B-2, right?). I just look at mine now and shake my head. And don't worry about not knowing the bass models. I was overwhelmed by the different guitars. I guess I knew there were alot of flavors, but I couldn't match numbers to models. I liked your 650C, Silver & Black with a 24 fret maple neck. Cool looking.

I win for leftiest instruments.
Haha! Yes, Leftiest Rick Collection is yours for 2013. The cab is an old Series I Acme Low B-2 that has been upgraded (by Andy) to Series II spec. I bought it used a few years ago. Very flat response and -3dB at 41Hz, but very inefficient cabinet. The amp was a G-K 1001 RBII which puts out 480W into that 8ohm load. We had it up pretty high, so you can really tell how power hungry the Low B is. Some people use them with bridged PA power amps with a dedicated bass pre in front. I can understand why!

I thought your SWR sounded really good when you had it running at the beginning. It just wasn't quite loud enough to keep up with a room full of guitarists and their amps! When I noodle on bass at home I usually just plug into my little Ampeg B50R combo. Perfect for the living room, but not much more. Keep that little SWR!

Thanks for posting the other pics, Johnnie and Rich. I had to do some sharpening on mine, too, and a lot were useless blurry blobs. Bad Kamera Karma this year!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Re Awards Categories for BARC 2013 :) ---- I'll throw a few nominations out there to liven up the conversation

For "Oldest Ric" no doubt Kira's 1957 Tulip takes the honors 8)

For Best Looking modded/refinished Ric category, I would also nominate Kira's checkered-bound Ruby 320 8) ..... because I have a weak spot for anything with checkered binding

For Best "S" Bass category --- Johnnie's Leftie 8) JetGlo 4001S model wins

For "JetGlo Rocks" category ---- John A's JetGlo 330 with black hardware 8) takes this coveted prize; but Doug shares the prize for bringing the most JetGlo's to the Confluence

BARCer who contributed the most musicianship and talent category: a tie for John and Harry who both played Drums, Bass, Guitar and sang some lead vocals

Make some nominations and cast your votes !! :D
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Oh, I neglected to award myself the dunce cap for "blurry, out-of-focus photographer" :( :oops: :roll:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

8mileshigher wrote:Oh, I neglected to award myself the dunce cap for "blurry, out-of-focus photographer" :( :oops: :roll:
I just figured you were being artistic and trying to match your avatar...
:twisted: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”