2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days ?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (hieronymous) » Mon May 20, 2013 12:55 am

Lefty4001 wrote:One picture that doesn't exist, because I realized it too late, would have been a line-up of the 4000 series basses. We had the full 2x2 matrix of headstock/wing combinations: '74 4001LH (lefty wings, "righty" headstock), Harry's '75 4001 Walnutglo (Rwings, Rhead), '93 4003S-LH (Lwings, Lhead) and John's 4001C64(S? Rwings, Lhead).


This is as close as we got:

Image

As I was getting ready to leave Lefty4001 passed by with his 4003S (? - fill me in on the details on your bass again!) and I realized we had a photo-op! I think your bass looks great as is by the way! I personally wouldn't change a thing. I like how in this picture, in addition to the "mirror image" effect, there are lots of subtle (and not so subtle?) details, like white vs. black trim, shark inlays vs. dots, binding vs. contoured, stereo vs. mono, etc. OK, now I'm geeking out!

I also considered cropping the photo but I realized that it kind of gave a sense of the place we were at.

Also, I'm sorry I got there so late and had to leave so early - I couldn't have been there for more than an hour or so - but it was good to see the people I knew, good to meet the people I didn't, sorry not to see some people, but overall had a great time and looking forwards to the next one! I'll have to memorize the lyrics to the Black Sabbath songs...
User avatar
(hieronymous)
Intermediate Member
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (jps) » Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 am

hieronymous wrote:
Lefty4001 wrote:One picture that doesn't exist, because I realized it too late, would have been a line-up of the 4000 series basses. We had the full 2x2 matrix of headstock/wing combinations: '74 4001LH (lefty wings, "righty" headstock), Harry's '75 4001 Walnutglo (Rwings, Rhead), '93 4003S-LH (Lwings, Lhead) and John's 4001C64(S? Rwings, Lhead).


This is as close as we got:

Image

As I was getting ready to leave Lefty4001 passed by with his 4003S (? - fill me in on the details on your bass again!) and I realized we had a photo-op! I think your bass looks great as is by the way! I personally wouldn't change a thing. I like how in this picture, in addition to the "mirror image" effect, there are lots of subtle (and not so subtle?) details, like white vs. black trim, shark inlays vs. dots, binding vs. contoured, stereo vs. mono, etc. OK, now I'm geeking out!

I also considered cropping the photo but I realized that it kind of gave a sense of the place we were at.

Also, I'm sorry I got there so late and had to leave so early - I couldn't have been there for more than an hour or so - but it was good to see the people I knew, good to meet the people I didn't, sorry not to see some people, but overall had a great time and looking forwards to the next one! I'll have to memorize the lyrics to the Black Sabbath songs...

How about this one? :mrgreen: Pretty close except for the headstocks. 8)
"It is better to have talent and not be recognized for it than it is to be recognized as having no talent." - JPS
User avatar
(jps)
RRF Consultant
 
Posts: 36009
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:00 am
Location: Not of this Earth

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (kiramdear) » Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 am

Gosh, I actually kind of like the pictures of me this year. I put on a little weight and it makes me look a little healthier than in years past. Thanks, Doug!

The jam really got off the ground when John A. got there. Thanks for giving us some direction, John! :) And to Harry and his lovely lady - thanks for coming even if for a little while. It was short but sweet. I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
User avatar
(kiramdear)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 am
Location: Out there

2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (8mileshigher) » Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 am

kiramdear wrote: I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)


Yeah, that was a high-energy, non-stop Ricken-jam 8) ....... I'm still feeling worn out and a twinge in my back from guitar slinging, still this evening. We are heading back to L.A. tomorrow ....
Hope everyone had a good time and it was nice to see RRF friends and meet some new participants this year ! :)

Please post pictures ! :)
User avatar
(8mileshigher)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles area, Calif, USA

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (kiramdear) » Mon May 20, 2013 3:47 am

Rich, I want to thank you personally for your ceaseless effort in organizing this year's BARC. It was great to have your help this year. I think because of you it was as well-attended and successful as it could have possibly been. Thank you, Rich! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
User avatar
(kiramdear)
RRF Moderator
 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:51 am
Location: Out there

2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days ?

Postby (8mileshigher) » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks for your kind words..... it was a collective effort of all who came and made it a fun afternoon.
Special thanks to newbie BARCer Michael for sitting in on drums and John and Harry did it all ---- with each taking turns on guitar, bass, drums and vocals ! :D
User avatar
(8mileshigher)
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4820
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Los Angeles area, Calif, USA

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (modrock) » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm

kiramdear wrote:Gosh, I actually kind of like the pictures of me this year. I put on a little weight and it makes me look a little healthier than in years past. Thanks, Doug!

The jam really got off the ground when John A. got there. Thanks for giving us some direction, John! :) And to Harry and his lovely lady - thanks for coming even if for a little while. It was short but sweet. I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)


Diet time for me Kira, wow, it will prove difficult in the middle of summer, but I look enormous. And yeah Doug, it was a bit loud, probably due to me cranking the little Vibroverb up and adjusting the volume on my guitar so I could hear myself play with you and Rich. I think I need some pedals, yes ?

Had a great time, and thanks to everyone ! Hope you made it home safely everyone, I only had a 40 minute drive on the 101 and traffic was very light north bound.

Let's do it again after I lose 50 pounds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary F. ( modrock )
User avatar
(modrock)
Member
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA USA

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (Lefty4001) » Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Cool. Harry has half of it and there's a picture in Doug's batch that shows me on the MG '74 lefty and John A.'s C64 right behind. Again, geek out on the differences (walnut wings, 7 dot markers, toaster PUP on his, but I got the Red Dots). I really like that Walnut finish. I'd never seen that in person. It's classy. :wink:

Toss in Jeffrey's picture and we have just about everything 4001/3 covered (checkered binding somewhere?)

Thanks again everyone. You're a great group of folks.

And play more Sabbath. Pretend they're a jazz band (geezer and bill can swing, man)

I'll play more Petty.

*oh sorry, details. That's a 4003S-LH from 1993. It became mine last fall. Best as I can tell, everything is original, but Paul W will tell me later in the year. I'd like to change the wiring/PUPs to something similar to the early Chris Squire signature basses, if I can ever figure that out. There is this growl and clang that Paul D'Amour got when he was playing with Tool that I love. The cosmetics I am good with, until I find a silver-on-black TRC that would fit. Then it's game on.
Last edited by Lefty4001 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'turn up the bass'
User avatar
(Lefty4001)
Member
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 pm
Location: East Bay, California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (Lefty4001) » Mon May 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Best ones I had on the phone
Attachments
BARCa.jpg
BARCb.jpg
BARCc.jpg
'turn up the bass'
User avatar
(Lefty4001)
Member
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 pm
Location: East Bay, California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 pm

modrock wrote: And yeah Doug, it was a bit loud, probably due to me cranking the little Vibroverb up and adjusting the volume on my guitar so I could hear myself play with you and Rich. I think I need some pedals, yes ?


It wasn't you, Gary--we all got a little energetic the second half! I think we had more (and louder) amps this time around, too. Your amp has the same problem mine does--it tends to beam across the room where everyone else can hear it better than you can hear it yourself. You should try the tilt legs. I plan to make a tilt-back stand for mine. Pedals can be fun, but I think your amp sounded great for the classic chimey stuff--especially with the 12-string. If you want dirt from a Fender it's either going to be pretty dang loud or you'll want a pedal!

I'm having another go at the pics. I had a small window to post yesterday and the forum size limit bit me again. I've resized and will start putting them up here.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Pics...

Image
Gary with his birthday 330 and Vibroverb RI amp.

Image
Rich's cool 480 and 360-12.

Image
Better shot of the 480. During the jam Harry commented to me that he REALLY liked the way that guitar looks...

Image
My 1996 360WB-12 with trapeze and stripped fretboard & my 650C with the 500k volume pot mod. John A's 650C is getting the mod next.

Image
Mike's MG 1997 RI which has really nice birdseye on the front which you may not be able to make out in my phone pic.

Image
One of Johnnie's lefty basses (sorry, I never remember all the bass models--it isn't a 4003, it's a ???)
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm

Second set...

Image
Mike's 660-12 (I think) with awesome finish and oven knobs.

Image
Gary playing his beautiful V64. Super chime with the Vibroverb.

Image
Some of the gear during a rare break in the action (I think the pizza arrived). That's Mike's cool 2-tone AC-30 with a Weber blue and a scumback in it. Great Vox tone!

Image
Kira with her checker bound custom ruby 320.

Image
Gary, Johnnie and Mike during the jam. Not only did Mike do a great job on drums, he tuned up the kit for Music Spectrum. We should have asked for a discount!

Image
Kira and Rich trading licks. Gary's headstock in foreground.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 10:45 pm

More...

Image
Mike on skins...

Image
Gary and Johnnie with his MG 4001(?)

Image
Rich with his 370WB and singing (was this during the Floyd jam?). Note the bound headstock on Kira's 320.

Image
Kira took some really tasty leads with the 320 through Mike's AC-30.

Image
John A's stuff including the 4001C64 bass that he rocked on a few songs.

Image
Harry started out on drums when he arrived...
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Even more...

Image
Johnnie and Harry...was this during Come Together? That one really did come together well!

Image
With Harry on drums, Mike finally gets a chance to play some guitar! The ever-energetic John A with the none more black 330 through my rig.

Image
A better shot of Johnnie and his MG bass.

Image
Rich models his cool 480. That color looks great with the fretboard wood (bubinga?) Rickenbacker used in that era.

Image
Gary on the jangly V64 again...

Image
Johnnie on the lefty, John A's C64 in the background beside "the little bass rig that could."

Image
Mike's lady friend (I'm sorry, but I've forgotten her name) doing a great job on White Rabbit--gotta have some San Francisco sound at BARC! Kira took a turn with Rich's 480.

Image
John, Mike, and Kira near the end of White Rabbit.

Image
Kira's collection--check out the little '57 tulip! It's tiny and so light. When I helped her load in I thought the case was empty!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Postby (analogpackrat) » Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Almost done...

Image
It got pretty crowded in the jam room!

Image
Gary and Johnnie--cool lefty MG.

Image
Kira with Rich's 480.

Image
The multi-talented Harry takes a turn on guitar. I switched on plenty of dirt and Harry delivered some great sounding Black Sabbath riffs and some convincing Ozzy vocals to boot.

Image
The equally multi-talented John A takes a turn on drums.

Image
John A is clearly enjoying Harry's combo Iommi/Ozzy impersonation.

Image
Johnnie came into his own on the heavier songs and rocked the little rig hard.

It was a fun event this year. Thanks to everyone for coming out and participating. Hope to see everyone (and more) next time!
If it is to be, it is up to me.
User avatar
(analogpackrat)
Member
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am
Location: California

PreviousNext

Return to Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron