So Cal Memorial Weekend - Waffles and Mini Jam

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

In honor of our veterans and all who have served, a few locals got together at Gary's studio for Waffles and a Mini Con Jam this Memorial Day weekend. Chef Paulie prepared his famous waffles and there were various toppings.... maple or fruit syrup, fresh strawberries and blueberries and whipped cream and sausages on the side ..... coffee, champagne and orange juice, etc.

And of course, a heavy dose of Rickenbackers :D

Thankfully, there was better luck with my camera today this last weekend at BARC
Attachments
Scotty and Diane
Scotty and Diane
Diane, Chef Paulie adn JOey
Diane, Chef Paulie adn JOey
Drummer John N, who has played at many Mini Con Jams in Southern Calif
Drummer John N, who has played at many Mini Con Jams in Southern Calif
Joey and Rich (with a serious look)
Joey and Rich (with a serious look)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Second batch of pictures celebrating Memorial Day weekend and those who served .... with Waffles Brunch and an afternoon of Ricken Jamming ...
Attachments
Paulie and Joey sampling the waffles
Paulie and Joey sampling the waffles
Rich and Jonathan enjoying the brunch
Rich and Jonathan enjoying the brunch
The fresh strawberries
The fresh strawberries
Our host, Gary (Dr.Who)
Our host, Gary (Dr.Who)
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Third Batch of Memorial Weekend Waffles and Mini Jam pictures ...
Attachments
Jonathan and Rich warm up, Jonathan with Scotty's 4000 "converted" bass and Rich with the 480
Jonathan and Rich warm up, Jonathan with Scotty's 4000 "converted" bass and Rich with the 480
A closer look at the 4080 Double Necks and headstocks with Scotty and Gary on the left
A closer look at the 4080 Double Necks and headstocks with Scotty and Gary on the left
Paulie tests out the guitar neck on the Double Neck ....
Paulie tests out the guitar neck on the Double Neck ....
Gary and Scotty discusss the 4080 Double Neck
Gary and Scotty discusss the 4080 Double Neck
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Fourth batch of pictures from Sunday's Memorial Weekend Brunch and Mini Jam ....

Will post more pictures later on here .... I have to go attend to our family barbecue right now .....
Attachments
Gary, Paulie and Jonathan doing our improvised medley of Neil Young's "Down By the River" and we slipped over into Pink Floyd's "Breathe in the Air" when we ran out of verses on the Neil Young tune ...
Gary, Paulie and Jonathan doing our improvised medley of Neil Young's "Down By the River" and we slipped over into Pink Floyd's "Breathe in the Air" when we ran out of verses on the Neil Young tune ...
Gary with his favorite 460 BurgundyGlo, Paulie checking out his pedal board, Jonathan with the bass and Rich on the right
Gary with his favorite 460 BurgundyGlo, Paulie checking out his pedal board, Jonathan with the bass and Rich on the right
Jonathan playing Neil Young's "Down By the River"
Jonathan playing Neil Young's "Down By the River"
Paulie on his newly acquired JetGlo WB, Jonathan on the 4000, John on drums and Rich on the 480.  You will see Paulie testing a whole series of his Double Bound arsenal in these upcoming Mini Jam pictures
Paulie on his newly acquired JetGlo WB, Jonathan on the 4000, John on drums and Rich on the 480. You will see Paulie testing a whole series of his Double Bound arsenal in these upcoming Mini Jam pictures
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

5th batch of pics from today's So Calif Memorial Day Weekend Waffles and Rics ...
Attachments
Gary with his Burgundy Glo and this time Paulie is holding Big Red, which was a refinish by Larry Davis
Gary with his Burgundy Glo and this time Paulie is holding Big Red, which was a refinish by Larry Davis
Gary and Paulie hold up the BurgundyGlo 460 and Paulie's newly acquired Ruby WB, (which is a Paul W  Jingle Jangle refinish) to show the difference in these two shades
Gary and Paulie hold up the BurgundyGlo 460 and Paulie's newly acquired Ruby WB, (which is a Paul W Jingle Jangle refinish) to show the difference in these two shades
Diane and Joey strike a pose
Diane and Joey strike a pose
JetGlo Rocks with Scotty playing Joey's 4004 (with the custom Dane pickguard) and Jonathan on Rich's 370 WB
JetGlo Rocks with Scotty playing Joey's 4004 (with the custom Dane pickguard) and Jonathan on Rich's 370 WB
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

6th and final Batch of pics from today's Waffles and Mini Jam.
I just realized I don't have a picture of Joey playing in the jam, :( as I had set my camera aside, when I was jamming with him, but maybe Gary or someone else who took pictures has some different ones....

Hope everyone has a good Memorial Day and remembers all those who served their countries in times of war.
Attachments
You don't see this too often --- two 480 models.  On the left is Rich's 1973 which was refinished in Daphne Blue by an unknown luthier in the MidWest and on the right is Gary's 1974 year  MapleGlo which is 100% stock original and very well preserved over the years
You don't see this too often --- two 480 models. On the left is Rich's 1973 which was refinished in Daphne Blue by an unknown luthier in the MidWest and on the right is Gary's 1974 year MapleGlo which is 100% stock original and very well preserved over the years
John N, who handled all the drumming duties at today's Mini Con Jam
John N, who handled all the drumming duties at today's Mini Con Jam
Gary with the 460, Paulie with the BlueBoy with Silver guards, and Scotty with the 4004 taking the vocals.  All three are looking stylish in their SCARF 2011 Tee Shirts  !
Gary with the 460, Paulie with the BlueBoy with Silver guards, and Scotty with the 4004 taking the vocals. All three are looking stylish in their SCARF 2011 Tee Shirts !
Scotty at the mic, John on drum kit and Jonathan on the WB
Scotty at the mic, John on drum kit and Jonathan on the WB
Gary, Paulie (with Big Red), Scotty, John on the drums and Rich with the 370 WB
Gary, Paulie (with Big Red), Scotty, John on the drums and Rich with the 370 WB
Gary and Paulie handling some back up vocals on the mic.  Paulie has the BlueBoy WB (with Silver Guards and Oven Knobs) which was a Fortune Guitars refinish job
Gary and Paulie handling some back up vocals on the mic. Paulie has the BlueBoy WB (with Silver Guards and Oven Knobs) which was a Fortune Guitars refinish job
Last edited by 8mileshigher on Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
s4001

Re: So Cal Memorial Weekend - Waffles and Mini Jam

Post by s4001 »

Fun! Fun! Fun!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Very Cool,brings back fond memories of the waffle breakfast at the first BARC,which most of you attended 8) . I was looking for pictures of a certain fretless 4000,but the fireglow converted 4000 is lovely. What's the story behind it?
s4001

Post by s4001 »

It's a '67. I bought it in 92. It had a Guild pup in it and the fretboard was coming off, and the bridge pup was dead.. I had Nick at Norm's Rare Guitars repair the fretboard. Lindy Fralin repaired the bridge pup. Later I put a Ric high gain pup in a more proper neck position. I also have a toaster that I occasionally swap out.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Great photos of what looks like was a great time, wish I wasn't so far away from you guys and gal!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

s4001 wrote:It's a '67. I bought it in 92. It had a Guild pup in it and the fretboard was coming off, and the bridge pup was dead.. I had Nick at Norm's Rare Guitars repair the fretboard. Lindy Fralin repaired the bridge pup. Later I put a Ric high gain pup in a more proper neck position. I also have a toaster that I occasionally swap out.
Thanks for the refresher,Scott,at first i didn't realise it was your bass. It looks absolutely fantastic.
8mileshigher

So Cal Memorial Day Weekend - Waffles and Mini Jam

Post by 8mileshigher »

I erred and doubled up posting two of the same pic earlier in Third Batch; with the 4080 Double Neck ..... here are two other 4080 pics with Scotty and Gary that I should have posted
Attachments
IMG_0343 - Compressed.jpg
IMG_0342 compressed.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Looks like a fun time!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Big thank you to Gary for being the host. And Paul's Waffles Inc. of Long Beach Township for catering!
Attachments
Host with the most and the man with the groove.
Host with the most and the man with the groove.
Waffle time
Waffle time
The loud one.
The loud one.
s4001

Post by s4001 »

While not as prolific as Rich, I did manage to snap a few pix.
Attachments
Jonathan with a special Ruby
Jonathan with a special Ruby
Jetglo.  Superior.
Jetglo. Superior.
Joey, armed and dangerous.
Joey, armed and dangerous.

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”