Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Ampeg AEB-1

Post by sloop_john_b »

I played this bass today:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1623460

It sounded really...unique. Unlike anything i'd ever heard before. Using the tone control sounded almost like I was opening and closing a filter, and the tone had this incredible upright-like quality to it. No "clank" whatsoever and almost a natural compression.

It was also lightweight, played nice, and looked wild. I'm considering it.

Anyone own one? Have experience with one? I know nothing about them, so any info I can gather would be nice.
gray

Post by gray »

I played the Eastwood version but it looked like a big "nope" to me. The real thing though, I'm still very curious about because they look so cool and intriguing. I haven't played one, but I want to know, too!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Hi John! Yeah I had one and enjoyed it. A '66, I think. I had the fretted version. The unique tone you described is the same result I had with it. For the sound, I like playing it through a vintage Ampeg. The only thing that bothered me is the headstock. It's looking for an accident. Plus, can you keep it in tune? Also, because of the short manufacturing many sellers place it at a high number. Personally, I believe they should sell in the $1600-2000 range. No one really cares. They are not in demand. A definite boutique bass! Boy, do people look at you weird with that.

You might try the Eastwood first. They retail at $899. There is one on ebay for $699, which is a better number than a couple grand, for the uniqueness. Lastly, the Eastwood headstock does not have the scroll.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Thanks guys! No visible pickup on this thing - what gives?
rictified

Post by rictified »

They have a special pickup I don't remember what it is or what it's called, it may be under the bridge but those basses are worth some bucks, I'd scoop it if I were you, they are in demand with certain players. None of the reissues have the original pickup which is what gives them that sound, it was made especially to sound like an upright, all the rest look like them but don't sound the same at all. Google it you'll find info somewhere if you look. I have an old Ampeg poster with one of those on it but it's packed away at the moment. The player from Stone Temple Pilots used one in one of their videos, I also think Rick Danko used one at times, also the bass player from Bad Company did, or at least he used some kind fretless Ampeg bass. They made both fretless and fretted. I'd love to grab one myself. That one looks like it's in really nice shape also, definitally collectable also.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATg1DWefcD4&mode=related&search

How close is this Eastwood EEB-1 to what you heard with the Ampeg, John?

Also here:
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/Bass/eeb ... ss_frm.htm
Click on Listen link.
rictified

Post by rictified »

The Ampeg "Devil" bass is really cool looking.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

John, in that clip I feel like I can hear shades of it, but I also hear magnetic pickup tone. This Ampeg was a sound completely on it's own.

Bob, it actually has been stripped of it's original sunburst finish, unfortunately, but it does look nice natural. It was missing the E string when I played it - the shop told me that it requires extra long strings, which they didn't have and had to order.

The fact that I haven't seen more players with these basses makes me a little leery of it. But I did like it quite a bit. Gah.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Yeah I looked at the website after I posted, it still looks nice to me, I think they were originally a dark cherry color, not sure though. I was right about Danko though. You'll see them on ebay once in a while also and they're never cheap. At least with this one you know it has the original pickup in it, some have them removed. The pickup is unique and rare, that much I know.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

John & Bob - you guys got me really going now. I am looking at a fretted Eastwood and considering it, for kicks. Bob, have you tried one? Is the tone much different from an Ampeg? I know they are made in Korea. How bad could that be? Too bad that bass is stripped, John. That original dark cherry burst is stunning!

I have a photo of Joe Long of The Four Seasons playing an Ampeg also.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I believe Ampeg called it a "diaphram pickup". I played one briefly decades ago, very interesting bass with a built in handle!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I went to a bunch of shops today, still looking for a good Fender (See "Folly of finding an old Fender" thread in this section). I didn't think i'd wind up with major gas for...an Ampeg! I did find a nice '86 MIJ Precision '70 Reissue, but boy, i'd really like to have this one.

The thought of playing Ampeg through Ampeg is also quite tantalizing. Image
lars
RRF Consultant

Post by lars »

Hey John!
I have one of those! Mine is a very early fretted with ebony fretboard. I've never used it live, but in studio on one record.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

John - Great Fender thread! My first serious bass I bought as a kid in 1970 was a 1957 P-bass. I have pics but I'm not at home. Also had a 1962 Jazz that I have pics when I played it in a college musical. Currently I have a 1961 P-bass in my stash, and like Jeff a newer P-bass and a 1964 Jazz custom shop.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Lars - That's a nice one!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”