What Is Your "Go-To" Amp ?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bvstudios

Re: What Is Your "Go-To" Amp ?

Post by bvstudios »

Over the decades, my go-to amp has depended mostly on financial circumstances.. but there have been a few standouts.

My first-ever go-to amp was a "Canadian" Beltone. Grey, about 12 watts, great tremulo, 2 six inch speakers. I got it as a present from my mother in 1968, and I still have it. Still works, too.

In the early 70's, when the Beltone wouldn't keep up with drummers, etc, I upgraded to a used Traynor all-tube mini-stack (YBA-1?). It was about 40-45 watts, came with a 2x12 cabinet, if I remember correectly, had built-in reverb and sounded loud as hell to my parents, who insisted that I had to practice with the Beltone or find some place else to play... Eventually, when the band du jour folded, I sold the Traynor for about 30% of what I'd paid for it.

I did mostly folk music for the rest of the 70's... no amp required, just a nice SM57 (an early one) about 8 inches in front of the sound hole of my flatpicked 12str.

For most of the 80's, playng Disco or Graffitti, a massive Peavey Musician III on a 4x12 cabinet (with wheels, thank goodness!)was my go-to. It took my Gretsch wonderfully, and if I was hired out as a bassman, the clean channel supported my Fender Pre like it was made for it (Most of my bass playing in those years was Country/Western. Mickey Gilley, Willie Nelson, Gatlin Bros covers, etc). But it got too heavy, and when my bass playing gigs cooled off, I swapped it down for a Peavey Bandit which I only sold off last month after 15 years of very reliable service.

Now, it's my JC77. Light enough to carry up a flight of stairs. Loud enough to play leads over a drummer, and versatile enough to be front and center with my Chet Atkins, my 370/12 or even my accoustic Takamine (on the clean channel with just a hint of reverb). Plus, it's a perfect amp for my digital grand piano!

So I'm happy, my wife is happy (only two amps in the house) and the guitars are happy- esp the 370/12!
elreydlp
Intermediate Member

Post by elreydlp »

For years, my go to was a Mesa "Blue Angel" and it's little brother, the "Subway Blues". The BA is definitely my favorite amp; however, it weighs a TON! As the ravages of age descended upon me, I began to favor my '79 Carvin X-60 1 X 12 combo with an EVM 12-L. Compact, not TOO heavy, and a big sound with 60 "all-tube" watts. I picked it up for $120.00 at a pawn shop and paid $50 for the EV. Definitely a LOT of bang for the buck.
Last weekend I tried a Crate Powerblock head and an open-backed Mesa cab with another EVM 12-L. That little 150 Watt monster sounded great, and weighs nothing and the Mesa cab with EV is lighter than the Carvin combo. This rig will be seeing a lot more action.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

I'll have a new one to test out for possible roster inclusion in a few days. I have a handmade Phaez HRM/HotCat 30 on burn in at the factory. A 45 watt EL34 based power section with one channel based on a Dumble Hot Rubber Monkey and a second channel based on the Bad Cat Hot Cat. Point to point connections in the truest sense (not even a tag board). I was blown away by a friend's demo and just had to try one for a longer period of time. I'll be connecting the head to a 2x12 cab with Emminnce Tonkerlites and a 1 x 12 with a Tone Tubby Hemp Cone, and then running every Rick I have on hand through it. Pics and full review will follow after the arrival.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

My go to amp is a Vox Ac-30 Super Twin. Unfortunately it doesn't get turned up much past 3 these days - one of the issues that comes with apartment living.

Like a few other people here, I wouldn't mind having a Fender Deluxe Reverb.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Chrome Aardvark wrote:My go to amp is a Vox Ac-30 Super Twin. Unfortunately it doesn't get turned up much past 3 these days - one of the issues that comes with apartment living.

Like a few other people here, I wouldn't mind having a Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Living in a house with a father who thinks that 2 is really loud really is a b!tch. In July of last year before a miserable and forgettable house party show, my dad ordered me and my former musical partner to turn down our amps, when we protested that it was loud enough and no amp was past 2 or 3. My dad wouldn't listen and turned them down so low, we had trouble hearing each other, and it showed in the show, when...

...I think I've said too much...

Point of my story is when you live in the house with my dad being a dirt-bag about playing my Deluxe Reverb amp past two, with all the doors in the house closed, saying it's too loud, he's gonna complain. I would not buy a Fender Super Reverb, Twin Reverb, any piggyback combo, a Marshall/Hiwatt stack or even a Vox AC-30 as long as my dad's alive.

I told local musicians/former friends that he had a hearing problem and that's why he always complained.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Having your own place and paying your own bills :roll: is a booger Jake, I don't think anyone is gonna give you any sympathy over your pops turning your amp down :lol:
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I wouldn't complain about it. I'd like my dad to be around for a long, long time to remind me to turn it down. And, yes, bills and mortgage payments are far worse than being told to turn it down.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Yeah, I wish I had my dad around to nag me. That said, he bought me my first few guitars and amps. :lol:

My go-to amp? These days it's my Vox Pathfinder. It sounds great and weighs little, but it's loud enough to annoy my parents (I wish). :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Boy you sure can tell the geezers from the young bucks on this forum. :) Geezer says (chawing on dentures) "Yepper, wish I had my Dear Ol' Dad/Mom around to....... :( " Young Buck says "Ohfercryinoutloudalready.....geez!..... :roll: "

Cheer up, Jake. We all luv ya, man.

And my go to amps are nowadays are my Vox AC15 and my MusicMan RD110-Fifty. Rick-O-Sound, Jangle Box, and a 12 string....love the chime!
JimK
scotty

Post by scotty »

Tell you what is far worse when your kids tell you to turn it down :oops:
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

scotty wrote:Tell you what is far worse when your kids tell you to turn it down :oops:
It's the look that goes with it. That's what really gets me.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Clint wrote:
scotty wrote:Tell you what is far worse when your kids tell you to turn it down :oops:
I get that all the time. And mine is just 18. Who taught these kids anyways?
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Clint wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I'm glad I don't have any kids. Now there are times when I've got to tell my wife to turn it down a bit...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

Go to "bedroom" amps...
Fender Vibro Champ Silverface...$350--6 watts all tube
Johnson Loredo T25...$250--25 watts, but actually sounds 10 watts all tube
Laney Cub 10...$250--10 watts, most powerful and bold all tube
...all prices depend on bidding, but these are approximate!

...wisdom

Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen
modrock

Post by modrock »

Without a doubt my early 1990s re-issue '63 Fender Vibroverb. Tone master at all of 40 watts RMS into two 10 inch Oxfords. It was one of the last of the re-issues made by Fender in California. Built like a tank and played often and loud ! :D

Gary in Santa Rosa

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”