New Vox AC30 HW and AC15 HW models!!!! :)

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

paologregorio

New Vox AC30 HW and AC15 HW models!!!! :)

Post by paologregorio »

Woo Hoo!!! I heard these might be be coming out about now back in January at NAMM! :D

http://www.voxamps.com/us/Handwired/

They won't make everyone happy, but what does?

I like the availability of the AC15 in the 2x10 combo!

I can't get Youtube to embed, but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoHgE3rh ... r_embedded
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Re: New Vox AC30 HW and AC15 HW models!!!! :)

Post by BuddyDog »

I just saw these on Pro Guitar shops website.

Looks like they dumped the EF86 channel from the old Heritage series.

Prices are way up, $1500 for the AC15 with a Celestion Blue.

If they are built like the old ones, they should be great amps.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

BuddyDog wrote:I just saw these on Pro Guitar shops website.

Looks like they dumped the EF86 channel from the old Heritage series.

Prices are way up, $1500 for the AC15 with a Celestion Blue.

If they are built like the old ones, they should be great amps.
Yeah, I sort of miss the EF86 channel, but I do like the Master Volume control, which is a cool idea. :)

I think these new HW amps are actually built even sturdier than our HW models, Steve, due to the traditional style turret board. I'm not sure, it might just be a "mojo" thing. When I posted interior photos of my H2 amp with the PC-style board, amp enthusuiasts weighed in on both sides of the issue.
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Yeah, it looks great. If I had the $$$, I'd go for the AC30 with Greenbacks.

Something to save for... :D
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

BuddyDog wrote:Yeah, it looks great. If I had the $$$, I'd go for the AC30 with Greenbacks.

Something to save for... :D
I'm an alnico lover, but I'd prolly just buy the one with the Greenbacks, buy one of the Weber "Blue Pups", and go for the "mixed" alncio/greenback combo that some amp gurus favor.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Got a buddy in your neck of the woods Paul that can't rave enough about those blue pups with his AC30HW head.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

There is a great write-up, (a product review and test) of the new Handwired AC-15 and AC-30 models posted over on the Plexipalace Vintage Amps Bulletin Board - Vox Section
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewt ... 47&start=0

There is some excelent close-up photography included of the control panel, the "Handwired turret boards" and the new Tube configuration layouts. :D :D

The guy who wrote it, Paul in New York ---- (no, not our Paul) thinks these new Handwireds are every bit as good as, if not better than the the Heritage Handwired models.

He even posted an A/B comparison YouTube link of his tests on the AC-15 and AC-30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNktNC37AmE

It's really good photography of the works on these new Voxes and well worth checking out !!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Heritage HW and a newer HW. I probably couldn't even tell the difference between Blue or Greenback speakers. So, I'll save the dough for a new HW with Greenbacks.

Paul A, when I'm at SCARF/JakeJam, would you mind letting me try out your Heritage HW?
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

JakeK wrote:I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Heritage HW and a newer HW. I probably couldn't even tell the difference between Blue or Greenback speakers. So, I'll save the dough for a new HW with Greenbacks.

Paul A, when I'm at SCARF/JakeJam, would you mind letting me try out your Heritage HW?
I'll bring the AC15 Heritage so yo can give it a spin, Jake.

If I play my cards right (and sell something), I might see if I can get a new AC30...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

JakeK wrote:I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Heritage HW and a newer HW. I probably couldn't even tell the difference between Blue or Greenback speakers. So, I'll save the dough for a new HW with Greenbacks.

Of course, Jake; the amp's my go to Ac 30 these days, so wherever I go with guitars, that amp goes. You're welcome to try it out. Everyone who's played through it loves it, including me, of course. :D

Amp-wise, so far I'm bringing the AC30 HW and my 40th Anniv Black Face Fender Twin. If I had a van, I'd probably bring my fawn AC30 and anotther Twin as well. :)

Thanks for posting the links, Rich. :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

paologregorio wrote:Of course, Jake; the amp's my go to Ac 30 these days, so wherever I go with guitars, that amp goes. You're welcome to try it out. Everyone who's played through it loves it, including me, of course. :D

Amp-wise, so far I'm bringing the AC30 HW and my 40th Anniv Black Face Fender Twin. If I had a van, I'd probably bring my fawn AC30 and anotther Twin as well. :)
I know I'll try both amps, but I'll probably end up using the Twin. For some reason, I'm glued to Blackface Fender amps. Didn't you bring it to BARC and it never got used? You can be rest assured, I'm gonna be using it!
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I didn't bring any amps to BARC, but I always bring it the So Cal events; at the last jam there were so many amps on stage, including Skip's lovely Showman, and Collin's Bandmaster, that I didn't even use the Twin. I still used the AC30 H2.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Sheesh, 1 week later and I would have been there with a Hiwatt halfstack. :wink:
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Looks like there will be one of the new handwireds for SCARF in attendance.

Found a great deal on e-Bay for one with the Blue Celestions, so I can put it on the backline and we can break in the speakers :wink:

I am putting my AC15 Heritage up for sale, so if there is any interest here, I can bring it to SCARF, too and you can take it home with you.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Congratulations, Steve! Looking forward to seeing the amp in action! :)

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”