Acoustic(brand) brown tolex solid state guitar amp?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

octagon

Acoustic(brand) brown tolex solid state guitar amp?

Post by octagon »

Know anything about these amps? My local store has a G60 2x12 guitar amp made buy acoustic in the early 80's(?). It is 60 watt solid state amp with 2 channels,each with it's own EQ. It has a full size spring reverb tank. It sounds really good for a SS amp and has a cool distortion effect. They want $125 for it. looks like the one below.

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Re: Acoustic(brand) brown tolex solid state guitar amp?

Post by soundmasterg »

I've never seen one myself. The only thing that would make me hesitate on buying older solid state equipment if I wanted it would be that some of the transistors used in older solid state things are not made anymore. That said, they usually don't fail so it isn't generally a concern. If you like the sound of the amp, go for it!

Greg
octagon

Post by octagon »

soundmasterg wrote:I've never seen one myself. The only thing that would make me hesitate on buying older solid state equipment if I wanted it would be that some of the transistors used in older solid state things are not made anymore. That said, they usually don't fail so it isn't generally a concern. If you like the sound of the amp, go for it!

Greg
Thanks Greg! The only thing that has stopped me so far is how heavy this thing is. Also,at this same shop they are getting in another cool solid state amp: a SUNN (O))) alpha 112r. (like the one in the photo below) so I may save my money for that one instead.

ImageImage

ImageImage

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The old Acoustic brown tolex stuff was great, my first amp was a 20 watter and I played live in my band with it(just barely though). I sold it to a buddy who later sold it to another buddys little brother who still uses it everyday. I have offered to buy and trade him for that amp(nostalgic reasons mostly) and he loves the thing and really doesn't wanna part with it. Never has it broke or failed once! Pretty good for like an 81 or 82 that has seen lots of action.

I had a wood cabinet tube one in the early 90s(no idea when it was made) that was a lot like a boogie in function(graphic eq on the front) and it had a single 15 in it. This beast had a deep switch on it that made you instant Black Sabbath. I actually traded that amp for a gawdawful Fender solid state twin thingy that channel switched the clean to 1 speaker and the dirty to the other(never both speakers at once) and a Rickenbacker 430. I sold the 430 to a friend who still has it, and the Fender to someone else and scored a Rickenbacker 450 12 string. 4 months later, the front end of my car collapsed going down a freeway offramp and had to sell the 450-12 to pay for the repair. :shock: :cry: :cry:

EGADZ!!!!! such is the ongoing life of a struggling musician :evil: :evil: :!:

(oh yeah, buy the amp Mitch, you can't go wrong for 125 bucks!)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

whojamfan wrote:I had a wood cabinet tube one in the early 90s(no idea when it was made) that was a lot like a boogie in function(graphic eq on the front) and it had a single 15 in it.
A friend of mine has one if those Acoustics with a single 12" speaker in it; they seem to have been made to compete directly with Mesa/Boogie Mark series amps.
indianation65

Post by indianation65 »

That is a neat-looking amp...I've succumbed to the Fender Acoustasonic Jr with no complaints!

...wisdom

Indian Folklore and Wisdom—Love, Learn, Listen

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”