vox amp enlightment . . .

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

eljayski

vox amp enlightment . . .

Post by eljayski »

my recent purchase of a 330/12 piqued my curiousity and then interest in vox amps. an extended session of internet searching proved really enlightening as to why voxes have their unique sound. simple tone stack, no negative feedback, etc. whatever all that technobabble means . . .

now, i want one! :shock:
330/12 fg
360/6 fg
381/6 fg
4003 mg
Colonel Blues

Re: vox amp enlightment . . .

Post by Colonel Blues »

Ha ! Exactly the same for me ! :mrgreen:
I bought a lovely JG330/6 2 months ago, and now "feel the need" for a nice AC-15… :twisted:
What's the magic about all that ??? :mrgreen:
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

My recent thread might interest both of you:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=402286

All best,

Robert
Colonel Blues

Post by Colonel Blues »

Thanks, Robert ! 8)

I have read that you had some problems with your amp, are they yet fixed ?
Do you think Vox Amps are quite fragile ones ? :shock:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I sure do like my Vox AC15. It sounds great whether I have my 360/12 plugged in or my Tele.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Colonel Blues wrote:Thanks, Robert ! 8)

I have read that you had some problems with your amp, are they yet fixed ?
Do you think Vox Amps are quite fragile ones ? :shock:
I had a minor problem with my AC15C1 that initially sounded suspiciously like a bad preamp tube. I took the amp to a place called Empirical Sound, which is our local Vox warranty service center, and they found nothing wrong with the amp. Since I started using the standard procedure for warming up the amp before turning it on, I have had no additional problems.

All tube amps are more fragile than solid state amps. As my salesperson explained it, tubes are a lot like light bulbs. They are fragile in shipping and have a filament that heats the tube to a high temperature, and this is necessary for correct operation. Shaking them can cause them to fail. Shipping can be tough on both light bulbs and tubes.

I have no reason to believe that Vox amps would be any more fragile than others. After all, people transport the amps to gigs all the time. I suggest you try out an AC15 or AC30 at one of your local music stores. Be sure to bring your guitar and any effects pedals along. Rickenbackers and Vox amps really do work well together. I've found I don't even need my Janglebox compressor when I'm playing either of my two 12'ers through the AC15.

That's just my two cents. Good luck in your search for the right amp! :)

Robert
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Robert,

Glad to hear you have your AC15 sorted out. How are you liking the Celestion Blue? Sure are efficient speakers (100dB @1 watt/meter). Give it time to break in.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
artisan4

Post by artisan4 »

When Voxes are made in England again, where they are meant to be made, I may take a look at them. I'm investigating Matchless at the moment, especially the C-30.
Rickenbacker 330 Jetglo
Rickenbacker 4003s/5 White
Mesa Rectoverb Head
Mesa Standard Rectifier 4x12 cabinet
Mesa Rocket 44 Combo amp
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

BuddyDog wrote:Robert,

Glad to hear you have your AC15 sorted out. How are you liking the Celestion Blue? Sure are efficient speakers (100dB @1 watt/meter). Give it time to break in.
Steve,

Sorry about the delay in responding to your post. RRF has apparently moved this thread to a new subforum, and I seem to have lost it. I'm really digging the Alnico Blue speaker: loads of treble and chime, so much so that I don't even need my Janglebox. Some have suggested that I might swap out the stock tubes with JJ's, but I see no need to do that right now. My only complaint is that the amp is rather heavy, but I've just purchased a huge dolly, so that shouldn't be an issue. This amp sounds totally different from my solid state Fender Princeton Chorus, so I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and got one. :mrgreen:

Robert
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

artisan4 wrote:When Voxes are made in England again, where they are meant to be made, I may take a look at them. I'm investigating Matchless at the moment, especially the C-30.
You could always buy an older one that WAS made in England. I have had a 1993 Korg-reissue AC30 with Celestion Blues made in the Marshall factory since new with the only problem being a blown rectifier tube and fuse about 10 years ago. Fantastic amp that I will never get rid of. It is heavy but all good things in life come with compromises.

Greg

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”