New (to me) bass practice amp

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ken_j
RRF Consultant

New (to me) bass practice amp

Post by ken_j »

Due to severe neuropathy I have been unable to play guitar for a couple of years, so I sold them all off. I did however keep my bass that I kept for visitors/accompaniment. I really haven't played bass much for 40 years. I am able to tolerate playing for about 10 to 15 minutes so I thought I would get another small bass amp to fool around with. I had decided on a SWR Workingman's 10 due to a friend having one and started my hunt. I ended up finding one at guitarcenter.com that was at the Chicago store. There was only one picture up on there website so I gave the store a call and talked with a sales associate. He took more pics and ran it through the its paces. He also cleaned it up and gave a better price than on the web. I received this two days ago and I am quite pleased.

It is a 1x10" combo with a tweeter. There is a wide range of adjustment with the tone controls, + or - 15db. A (parallel) effects loop with a blend knob. Tuner out, headphone jack, speaker extension jack, and a balanced XLR output give this a little more than many amps I could have purchased at this price. There is also a switch that turns off the tweeter or the speaker for headphone use. The amp is rated at 80watts @ 8 ohms and 100 watts @ 4 ohms (with an 8 ohm extension cab). This is more power than I will ever need in my den or living room. It's kind of like a baby Basic Black. This amp was built at the Sylmar, CA location prior to the company's purchase by FMIC. It is dated Oct '98. It is in excellent condition. the covering is black with no dirt or pilling. The flash washes out its color in some of the pics. The one from the front is most representative.

This amp can go from a warm sound to bright. Quite frankly it gets as bright as I want it without the tweeter.
IMG_1765.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1770.JPG
"The best things in life aren't things."
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: New (to me) bass practice amp

Post by jps »

The WM 10 is a very nice little combo amp. A friend of mine has one, which I helped him get a few years ago. I used to have it's bigger 12" brother many years ago.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Cool, Ken, and good to know you can still knock around on your bass. :wink: :)
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

johnallg wrote:Cool, Ken, and good to know you can still knock around on your bass. :wink: :)
I can for only short peroids. At least the strings don't have that razor blade feel.
jps wrote:The WM 10 is a very nice little combo amp. A friend of mine has one, which I helped him get a few years ago. I used to have it's bigger 12" brother many years ago.
I used to have a Basic Black when I had the V63. Once again I used a couple of times. It was mostly for company.
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”