Mesa Boogie DC-5

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Mesa Boogie DC-5

Post by kiramdear »

I have a possibility of trading for one of these with 1 12" speaker. Should I go for it? What say ye, tonesters? Please relate your opinions and experiences with this amp.
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Mesa Boogie DC-5

Post by jps »

I had a DC-2 for a couple years, and a friend of mine currently has it. These are really nice and get quite loud (to me, anyway). I always thought the Rhythm channel sounded better than the Lead channel, which got a bit too midrangy for my tastes, YMMV of course.
8mileshigher

Mesa Boogie DC-5

Post by 8mileshigher »

By way of brand recommendation (but another model then the one you reference) I have a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues with 1 x 10" and its a powerful little amp with great tone for its size.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I would check it out and see what you think. I'm not a Mesa fan, but that's a preference thing. They are well constructed and their fans are rabid about them. I would think this amp might be a bit of a boat anchor, but maybe you'll luck out and get the sound you're looking for and a manageable weight to boot.

Keep us posted! :D
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

Great amp. Outstanding for cleans (think blackface), blues and beyond. This will not get to the high gain territory of a recto. It has an all tube driven reverb. The pushed sounds are all tube not clipped diodes. This amp will play very loud, but due to master ouput control will easily play at bedroom levels. It had I used one of these with my Ricks and loved it. I later went with a lower wattage Subway Blues but just could not live with the 10" speaker. I built that into a head and ran it with a 2 x 12" cab.

There are a couple versions of the DC-5 depending on their date of manufacture. The first ones had rocker switches then toggles for on off, standby etc. They have a single control footswitch to change channels and LEDs on the amps front panel to indicate which channel is on. Also there is a rotary switch on the back that controls if the graphic equalizer is in the circuit when the lead channel is active. The second version does not have the LEDs on the front panel but has them on the foot switch that controls channel switching and the reverb. The switch on the rear panel for the graphic equalizer is a toggle switch with slightly different options. The second version also has a headphone amp. The second version is a little more flexible and seem to be worth a bit more on the used market.
Mesa Boogie DC-5B (second version)
Mesa Boogie DC-5B (second version)
"The best things in life aren't things."
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Ken, thank you for the detailed response. If all goes well I should have a DC-5 in my music room by day's end. I'll let you know my feelings about it in due course. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

The tone controls on these, as well as most Boogies, are interactive and do effect each other. If you turn the mid control past #4 (11 o'clock on some models) it adds gain. The gain control on channel one can be pulled out for even more push, and when cranked up tends to overlap the lead channel with the gain at 1 or 2. Keep the master output above 4 to not loose bottom end. This is a heavy amp, get a doly and save your back.

Sent me your email address via PM and I will send you schematics (PDF) and an owners manual if needed. A big plus for you is that the factory will service these amps and it is not too far from you in Petaluma.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ken_j wrote:A big plus for you is that the factory will service these amps and it is not too far from you in Petaluma.
Shari & I had a very nice visit and tour there in '07. 8)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Here to report that the factory did a great job getting the DC-5 back up to spec, they did it in just one week, and they didn't charge me an arm and a leg. Kudos to the nice folks there.

I dialed it in according to the suggestions in the book - that was easy enough. Suffice to say I'm in love. Sparkling cleans all the way to massive distortion and everything in between are mine to command. No more distortion pedals for me; this amp really sings when you push it. Plays well with my Janglebox, too. And LOUD, OMG if this is only 50 watts I dare not wish for more.

Just wanted to quickly check back in - I'm off to annoy the neighbors some more. Toodles. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

I can send a few sets of ear plugs from the neighbors and a back brace for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew you would like it. :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

ken_j wrote:I can send a few sets of ear plugs from the neighbors and a back brace for you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew you would like it. :D
LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
8mileshigher

Mesa Boogie DC-5

Post by 8mileshigher »

Cool ! Glad your amp is sounding great and received a factory check-up.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, Rich!

I just gave it a shakedown with my JB'd Carl Wilson. Wowee wow! Crystal clean, but with jack boots on. I never heard it sound this good.
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ken_j wrote:I knew you would like it. :D
+1! 8) I thought my old DC-2 was loud!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”