Intermediate Member

Re: The new VOX AC4C1 -BL, a little review

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Waiting. :wink:
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Sascha, I know you have a blue Ric. Now you have a blue amp. Go all the way and get yourself a blue strap, blue cord, blue picks, and blue capo.

By the way, I have had my blue AC4 for over two months now. My final assessment is it is a very nice practice/recording amp, but way overpriced. $300 for a tiny practice amp? I should have just added about two hundred more and got myself an AC15.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Tommy wrote:Sascha, I know you have a blue Ric. Now you have a blue amp. Go all the way and get yourself a blue strap, blue cord, blue picks, and blue capo.

By the way, I have had my blue AC4 for over two months now. My final assessment is it is a very nice practice/recording amp, but way overpriced. $300 for a tiny practice amp? I should have just added about two hundred more and got myself an AC15.
Our guitars only differ in the pickups, I saw before!

About the AC15: yes, the price is not so far away, but the weight still is. I was looking for a good sounding amp, extendable by a cab and easy to carry. For that it is perfect! And I think with a "greenbacked" cab it sounds very close to an AC15. What I start to love now is the rough sound without a cab...
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I had a few minutes more...

Wow, this amp is for playing around with all dials in adjusted in a certain relation. So much nice different classical sounds! From mellow to biting distortion - even with the stock speaker very nice.

Actually I develop different settings for different sounds. 8)

There is just one thing I do not understand: the bass pot!!!:
After 1o'clock there is nearly no addition of signal. - What happens instead from 1o'clock to 5o'clock? The pots seem to be interactive, btw.. Some at the VOX forum have the same experience.

The AC4C1 is announced as the now smallest AC with the top boost circuit. Is this a "Top Boost habit"? Maybe some AC15/30 experiences could be helpful?
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I am loving mine, gonna slap a Weber Blue Pup Ceramic 20 watt speaker in there and replace the tubes with JJs. I put a JJ EL84 in there at first and it was great. My friend is a tube nut and insisted I try his JAN vintage tube and it took all of the character out of the amp, so out it's going. It made the amp bolder with no personality, a lot like that dog turd Champion 600 I used to own.

The AC4C1-BL requires no soldering irons or component replacing to sound great. Out of the box this amp is a very pleasing top boost sound-even with the stock tubes. The stock speaker sounds good, I just want to up the ante, as I really want the best sound out of this amp as possible. The perfect plug your guitar straight in and have a good time amp.

I got the AC4TV when it came out and loved it, this new one is seriously twice as good.

Does anybody know if the AC4TV slipcover will fit this model? I don't know why companies don't release slipcovers with their new amps-especially these little portable ones. Wouldn't you buy a cover for it for 20 bucks more when you buy the amp-of course you would.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”