The new VOX AC4C1 -BL, a little review

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

After receiving the new VOX AC4C1 -BL (yes, I am a VOX victim) a few weeks before, here my first personal impressions.

Short version:

A good amp with a really good all-valve sound! - I would buy it again.

Long version:

Before I start some equipment informations to make my notes more comparable.

Guitar:
Rickebacker 330/6 MID from 2010
two 7,4 toaster pick ups, Thomastik Infeld JS110 flats

Amp:
VOX AC4C1 -BL
customized tube configuration in V1: JJ 5751, in V2: JJ 5751, in V3: JJ EL84
(original tube configuration in V1: China 12AX7, in V2: China 12AX7, in V3: SHUGUANG EL84)

optional Cab:
open VOX V112NT (12" greenback)

For the basic adjustment I went this way: The gain and volume pot at 1-2 o'clock and the guitar's volume pots rolled back until there is more or less no overdrive. The tone knobs of the guitar can be rolled back a lot, too. The result is a creamy vintage tone (what I prefer most!). For more distortion You can just open the guitars pots or raise the gain at the amp. Yummy!

Bass and treble of the amp at 12o'clock is a fine set up to start with. Perfect and round!

Lowered bass and raised treble makes this vintage feeling stronger. To go into the direction of the flat roughness of Lennon's first 325 (with that extremely dry hollow sound of alder!) it is perfect!

The tone of the amp is "boxy" but not cheap. It just sounds like in the old days with a lot of growling. Great!

Then I took out the V112NT cab...
(Notice that the manual says You should turn off the amp before connecting/ disconnecting an external speaker!!!)

- Wow! A totally different amp! The clean range is much bigger and louder and it offers a full, rich and warm greenback tone, there it is, THE AC tone! Those who are looking for a VOXish blues tone should try this, too. Just fine!

My result is that I did not a mistake in ordering this amp. I does exactly what it was bought for. I love to tinker my own sound for that special amp. - I am sure this amp will be at my side for decades...

Those who are wondering if it is suitable for small gigs: Yes, it is!
Only using the combo it delivers a more distorted tone, with an open back cab it can deliver enough cleans for small gigs up to 40-50 persons.

There is just one thing I did not understand completely: the bass pot!
Below 12o'clock it behaves like every bass dial, after 12-1 o'clock there is no addition of bass at all. Does somebody know a bit more about the idea behind? It is normal for this amp, AFAIK. Does the bass dial influence the mids after that point?! (Could not hear it).

The first lesson is clear: This amp is a perfect portable little sound generator. Plus a guitar and a connecting cable: Done!
Even to travel by bus or taxi is quite easy.

...And added by some toys like a 12" cabinet it is a pure joy to hear that special sound.
8) 8) 8) :D
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Sascha
that's a very informative write-up you did.
I imagine it will influence a few folks to consider taking a test-drive on these small amps.

Just to clarify, your tone review is on the basis of replacing the original tubes with the JJs mentioned ?
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Re: The new VOX AC4C1 -BL, a little review

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Thank You!

Surely I am not the only one with a Rickenbacker that is always looking for that special tone.
I love to play new songs with a "traditional" sound.
This amp should be on everybody's short list who is interested in a small tube amp -the rest is personal taste.
Oh, I forgot: The AC4C1 has four loud tube watts in a Class A wiring.

Yes, all this experience is made with the JJ tubes. I am not keen of special tube brands. The JJ tubes are very often on the list when it comes to "good" tubes, although I do not believe all this religious NOS thing.
For those who love to pray and praise: JJ tubes for example are still made with the old Tesla machines. Only the vacuum technique is better than 40 years before. So some kind of NOS, too.
By the way nobody in the 60s made so much ado about a certain tube factory. And the JJs are very cheap here in Germany. The whole set cost me less than 30€/ 38$...

The last new amps of VOX are gain monsters (e.g. the lil night train). To use the (here in Europe) very uncommon 5751s with a gain factor of 70 - instead of 100 for the 12AX7 - made it easier to use the amp's dials. Quite similar results You can archive with the stock tubes, too.
Now the amp reacts like my modified AC30VR when using the dials. The breakup is at nearly the same place. For me it was mainly a question of comfort and "equality in use".
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

I replaced the pre-amp 12AX7 in my Vox AC4-TV with a NOS RCA tube from the mid -60s (I think). It made the amp sound a bit more refined, so I pulled it out and put in the original tube. I didn't buy the AC-4 to sound refined. I agree that it's a great little amp.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hey Jeff!

It is nice, isn't it?! Already the way it is stock - but I like to fondle... :wink: :lol:

So You own one of the early ones, too. Mine is serial # 00897, and Yours?
You are from the US, so I bet 00300-00500.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hotzenplotz wrote:It is nice, isn't it?! Already the way it is stock - but I like to fondle... :wink: :lol:
So, that's what you consider fondling, over there? :wink: :lol:
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I am just talking about exchanging tubes!

Just for You: When You look from the top side of a tube You maybe understand why I used the word "fondle": You have to be gentle. - If not, a shock of 500 Volts will kill You immediately... - Welcome home! :wink: :lol:

I had 12AU7s, 12AT7s, 12AX7s and the 5751s in every combination in. The pair of the 5751 won - for what I was looking for.

Now I spent a few minutes more with that amp. Even at midnight there is an really acceptable clear, rich but quiet volume possible. - Just use the knobs! Great, great and great!

The combo speaker had to work the last days a bit. The first harshness of the run in period went already. Now it just has to be played more. - Well, if You ask me this way...

I can imagine that the more "quiet moments" will improve parallel to the amount of normal rehearsals with higher output. I read a few times about the changing character of the stock speaker during the run in period. So I will give that one a chance at first. Later I can think about a greenback...
So it fits very well to the use at night, too. The AC4TVs have their 1/4-1-4-Watt switch. The AC4C1 offers this stepless way: Just keep the gain open and lower the EL84 via the volume. Voila!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Hotzenplotz wrote:Hey Jeff!

It is nice, isn't it?! Already the way it is stock - but I like to fondle... :wink: :lol:

So You own one of the early ones, too. Mine is serial # 00897, and Yours?
You are from the US, so I bet 00300-00500.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hmm, strange, although it was 4 week earlier available in the US.

Anyways, one of the first.

How do they sell in the US? In Germany the dealers actually grin from ear to ear...
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

I don't know how well they sell here. There's a lot of competition in that category, now, it seems. I got my AC4 as soon as I could find a local dealer that had one.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Same to me!

I had a lil night train. It blew up after ten weeks. :shock: :?

At the same tame VOX presented the new amp at NAMM. So I just had to wait. 8) 8)

The AC4C1 is exactly my dream. Now we just have to become acquainted. :mrgreen:
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Thanks for the reviews, Sascha! This thing was on my wish list, it now moved up a few positions!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Hotzenplotz wrote: Yes, all this experience is made with the JJ tubes. I am not keen of special tube brands. The JJ tubes are very often on the list when it comes to "good" tubes, although I do not believe all this religious NOS thing.
Sascha ----
Some people have the "religion" for sure ! Did you see that post I made a week or so ago, about the NOS tubes fetching $3050 for five of them, with 37 bids by 14 different bidders ! !
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=405600

I agree with you on JJs being "good value - good performance" tubes and I have JJ 12AX7 in the V1 and V3 positons and a JJ 12AU7 in the V2 position on my Vox AC 30 cc2x, and the Rectifier tube is a JJ too.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

8mileshigher wrote: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=405600

:shock: :shock: :shock:

No, really not my religion...
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

My local dealer has three of the AC4C1-BL's in stock. I'm going to there this afternoon with my 1997 in tow to try 'em out. I'm in need of a replacement for my Pathfinder (NR), as I gave it away to a 10 year gal who lost her guitar and amp in a house fire.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”