AC30 ccx - need to overdrive this baby

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

Hey everyone.

I am playing a variety of guitars including a 330 -6 and a dakota through my AC30 ccx - with the alnico blues. I love the overdrive tones I get when I crank this baby up however this can be brutally LOUD. I have a decent overdrive pedal, a diamond mk3, plus a distortion pedal, but this is not the same as when the amp itself is in 'overdrive' territory. Cranking the pre-amp section, ie. top boost or normal volumes, also is not the same as cranking the master.

I have the ability to change the bias on the back of the amp which according to the manual reduces the wattage to 22 watts. Will this get me to the 'overdrive'
sounds I want without the bleeding ears? I believe there is a filter cap switch as well but I cannot hear any difference when I flip this.

Is an attenuator my best bet?? If an attenuator is recommended what works the best with this amp.

Are there other suggestions?
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Maybe Mike S (whojamfan) 8) can provide some guidance ... he's got a lot of insight on cranking AC-30 cc models at high volumes !! :D

Re Attenuators -- there was a three part article in Vintage Guitar magazine a few months ago, all about attenuators. Might give you some insights if you can dig those three issues up at your local music store.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: AC30 ccx - need to overdrive this baby

Post by whojamfan »

Go to London Amps Power Scaling on the web, buy the kit-like 80 bucks or something-and have a professional install it in your amp. Basically what this does is allow you to dial your amp in to the optimum sound, and be able to control the actual output without changing power tube breakup and preamp settings. A lot of boutique amps are made now that has this feature and it goes by their name, but these folks invented it, and have a ready order kit for a Vox AC30.

I previously bought an attenuator for my Hiwatt, and it killed the headroom and made the highs sound greasy, almost like a Marshall. I got rid of it, gotta have that headroom and sound.

You already have a nice drive pedal, so really, there are only variations of that theme. A boost pedal would probably give you the same results, both the good and the bad. Oh, and those boxes that plug into your effects loop will change your sound as well.

The sound you are looking for can pretty much only be had by cranking it up. This is why I think power scaling would be your best option.
fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

Thanks for the help.

I will start my snooping immediately.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I like to run mine on the low power setting... I might buy this gadget for my cc2x though. . . :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

whojamfan wrote:I previously bought an attenuator for my Hiwatt, and it killed the headroom and made the highs sound greasy, almost like a Marshall. I got rid of it, gotta have that headroom and sound.
Mike, did you do this to your Hiwatt?
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

+1 for the London Amps power scaling kits. I had one installed in my 50W EL34 head and it is very effective, with only the tiniest loss of headroom on the gain channel and none on the clean side.
Their QS active Quiet Supply circuits are also very good at eliminating any power line hum or single ended tube noise (not single coil pickup noise) in higher gain amps. I have used both circuits in different amps and I'm very pleased with the results.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

paologregorio wrote:I like to run mine on the low power setting... I might buy this gadget for my cc2x though. . . :)
Ciao Paolo:

I haven't fully experimented with this setting. Does this give you those beautiful overdrive tones at a quieter level. I think this is what I really want to achieve. I don't need to whisper over my guitar but the AC30 when cranked buries everyone, including the drummer and bass player. On the few nights I have let loose with it everyone left with smiles on their faces and a ringing in their ears.

We appear to have some things in common. Coincidentally my birth name is also Paolo. I too primarily use the name Paul, after years of being called Apollo, Pay-O-Lo, and blank stares. Plus our love of the Rick and AC30, a match made in heaven.

Cheers to us, and thanks for your help.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Yeah, definitely. :)

I advise setting the power switch to low power, and the filtering switch to vintage. Warmer tones; the amp will break sooner than it would on the high setting. I still like to use pedals to send it over the edge even more though. Haha. :)

I usually go by Paul also, though some of the local forum members have taken to calling me "Paulie."

fireglo330

Post by fireglo330 »

Thanks for the helpful advice. I will try that first plus I have checked into the power scaling. I may do this if the lower wattage setting doesn't get me to the promised land.

But first it's "Viva Las Vegas" for a few days of fun.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

fireglo330 wrote: But first it's "Viva Las Vegas" for a few days of fun.
Oh-h-h
Going to Vegas you can be the first Forumite 8) to check out Kenny's new 12-string Ric bass, custom made by Paul W. and just shipped. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=379871&start=1440#p758929

Kenny's playing at the Riviera with Pat from the Smithereens
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=403129&start=15#p758381
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

IHeartRics wrote:
whojamfan wrote:I previously bought an attenuator for my Hiwatt, and it killed the headroom and made the highs sound greasy, almost like a Marshall. I got rid of it, gotta have that headroom and sound.
Mike, did you do this to your Hiwatt?
No Chip, just had her recapped and retubed though-wow! I'm using a Spaceman Ahelion Overdrive through it and can get a great full sound at low stage miking volumes. I bought the kit for my AC30 a while back, but she's just been living in a roadcase since Paulie so graciously helped me lug it at a gig he came to a while back.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I'm a firm support of the Power Scaling stuff too. Kevin O' Connor from London Power invented it and lots of others have copied it and called it different names (VVR for example is a copy of the first version of pwoer scaling). It works great, with a very slight reduction in the B+ voltage in the amp, but the pros far outweigh the cons. you can run your amp at low volumes and still get rich saturated power tube sounds. I've built it into a couple of my home-brewed amps and it is great. I plan to use it more. Not sure if I will add to to my AC30 or just purpose build and AC30 style amp with power scaling yet, but it is really cool kit.

Greg
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I brought my H2 and vintage AC30s in for service yesterday, so the CC2X will be getting a workout until I get them back later this week; I should be able to provide some updated and newly-informed comments/impressions and answers after my next rehearsal Tuesday night.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Try a Vox Tonelab SE guys. I can get a great Vox sound with my AC30VR and the Vox pedal at low volume. It takes some tinkering at first though. You really have to invest some time into this pedal to make it work for you. Once you do..........I doubt you will find a better alternative.

Here are some reviews.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/ ... index.html
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”