Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Postby (greyash) » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Hello forum people!

I have played a Rick 330 with a small Fender amp for some time now and I am absolutely loving the cleans and the fuzz tone. However, I find it very hard to get a good dirty/crunch tone when playing loud - it was especially noticeable when doing early Oasis covers with my mates. I am currently playing through a Fender Superchamp - a 15W combo and as I said, it works beautifully for cleans and when coupled with a Fuzzface.

I have tried a lot of things but I looks like I need another amp for the dirty stuff. Of the ones that I tried I prefered two - Vox AC15/30 and Orange Tiny Terror. Both of them have great tone and are quite easy to use (Tiny Terror seems to be made for a caveman :mrgreen: ).

Do any of you have experience with those amps and a Rick? Which one would you choose? All opinions are welcome! :)
(greyash)

Re: Amp for dirty/crunch tone

Postby (JakeK) » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

No experience with Orange amps (but there are a number of members who do have it), but do have it with the recent Vox AC-15 C1. It's an extremely versatile amp that can cover a lot of styles. One of the useful things about it is that you can have the volume of the input you are plugged into cranked to the max for a powerful dirty tone, but the master volume can be lowered for a sound easier on the ears. When coupled with a Fuzz Face, you'll have a heavenly tone. But be prepared: although it's rated at 15 watts, the Vox is LOUD, even when played clean.
(JakeK)
RRF Consultant

Postby (bitzerguy) » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am

I went Phaez two years ago, and I won't go back. I now have an HRM style (Dumble style)/Hot Cat style 2 channel 50 Watt, a Vox style 18W, and a JTM style 10W with some really cool mid control tricks. All have post phase inverter master volumes that works extremely well. All have a note clarity and harmonic complexity that I have not found in anything else. All are similarly priced to the TT and the AC15. They are particularly great sounding with Higains.

I have 3 Voxes that haven't been gigged in a couple of years, and one that I use for a jam night I help host ( a Valvetronix). For band gigs, Phaez only for me.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
(bitzerguy)
RRF Consultant

Postby (greyash) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:00 pm

bump for great justice
(greyash)

Postby (jps) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:43 pm

greyash wrote:bump for great justice

Try cross posting this on the Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone section.
(Insert famous quote here)
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Postby (cestlamort) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:04 pm

I had a Vox AC15cc1 and liked it so much (after tube and speaker upgrades) that I sold it to get an AC30cc1 (then more tube and speaker upgrades).

I've found both to work extremely well (with a 360 and 330/12).
(cestlamort)

Postby (collin) » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Don't count out a nice Marshall - the original crunch tone! :)

RIC.jpg

That said, I've been pretty impressed with the Orange Tiny Terror. For the price (and mobility!) they are great little amps.
(collin)

Return to Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon