pup squeal

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

T28

pup squeal

Post by T28 »

Over the 2-3 weeks, my V63 has started having terrible feedback issues. During a tune, the hum will build up and cause a constant nasty sound that permeates the song and makes it sound off key. When standing between songs, the hum is so loud I have to turn the volume down. This happens with both pups. It almost sounds like the pups have turned microphonic.

Anybody else experienced this or know how to fix it or what symptoms to look for?
Will having the pups potted solve the problem or does it run deeper than that (or would that even accomplish anything)?

Really frustrating cause the Ric has the PERFECT sound for this band. I have had to use my Fedora the last few gigs/rehearsals and while it sounds great, it does NOT sound like a Ric.

Any thoughts?
rictified

Re: pup squeal

Post by rictified »

Does it squeal or does it hum, or both? And what do you mean by build up? I've had basses squeal before from facing my amp with the volume on 11 although this was a P bass and it would instantly stop when I got the hell away from the amp, turned around etc. I've had basses kind of hum although buzz is a better word from lights. Do you think it's feedback? Do you think it's something loose in the pickup that vibrates to a fever pitch from the vibrations of the amp speaker exciting the pickup which would also be a form of feedback but to me would indicate a faulty pickup? Or do you think it's noise from lighting etc?
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Using a hat as a replacement for a Rick?
Thats got to be a first.
What width brim do you recommend?
Tilt it or straight?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

T28 wrote: I have had to use my Fedora the last few gigs/rehearsals

Any thoughts?
Yes...Did you mean Fodera?
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

T28 wrote: It almost sounds like the pups have turned microphonic.
Plausible. Is the noise isolated to just one pickup? If not, a wiring or amp issue is more likely. It is extremely improbable that both pickups would become microphonic simultaneously.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”