TC Electronics Cabs

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ram

TC Electronics Cabs

Post by ram »

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with TC Electronics cabinets? I'm thinking about something like their RS212 or K212.... tcelectronic.com/rs212/
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
johna

Re: TC Electronics Cabs

Post by johna »

I've got a BC212 cabinet paired with a BH250 and love it. Very clean and loud. The BH250 is jams a lot of features into a very small box.

Both are made in China hence the relatively low cost, but for a low budget rig is probably just as good as anything else out there. I'm not sure where the RS and K series cabinets are manufactured.

The only negative is that the Tolex seems very thin (for the BC series), and could be damaged very easily. It would be worth investing in some custom made canvas covers, or a flight case if you a touring a lot.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I went to a drummer friend's gig in a small club. The bassist played a Hofner 500/1 through the same TC rig. I thought it was just perfect sounding. I often considered getting the same setup but their stuff is a little expensive for my budget.
jiemp

Post by jiemp »

Hi there, I use RH450 with RS210 and RS212 and that sounds good for my 4003.
Cheers
Basses
4003 Walnut
4003 Mapleglo
4003S/5 Fireglo
4003 with Thunderbird PUps
4003 with Cheyenne PUps
4004CII Cheyenne
4003S/8 Fireglo
eddied
Veteran RRF member

Post by eddied »

Well, IMO there is no better bass amp on the market for the $. True quality , very powerful, tight, lots of features and can be used on just about any gig. I suggest you try one out. The price is WOW too. And its so portable and light!!!
ram

Post by ram »

Thanks for the input! I do appreciate it. Birthday coming up ... I think I will give myself a present. I use tens and fifteens right now. I think I have only used twelves once and that was a bazillion years ago - I tried out a friends Marshall stack with twelves. This could be fun!
vax2002

Post by vax2002 »

They have switched a lot of cabs from Eminence drivers to generic Chinese drivers.
The cabs they made with Eminence in rocked and they made a name, the new stuff sucks.
johna

Post by johna »

The TC website still says the BC212 cabs have Eminence "custom" speakers (the one own):

http://www.tcelectronic.com/bc212/tech-specs/

There is nothing inherently wrong with Chinese manufactured electronics/speakers provided the overseas manufacturers provide adequate quality control.

I work in pro sound/lighting/AV design, and I know that good Australian companies now have their products manufactured in China, just to remain competitive. It all comes down to labour costs.

If not well managed well it can come undone as EAW, a well regarded US pro speaker manufacturer, found out some years ago. I think they moved their production back to the US.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johna wrote:...Chinese manufactured electronics/speakers.....If not well managed well it can come undone as EAW, a well regarded US pro speaker manufacturer, found out some years ago. I think they moved their production back to the US.
As did Gallien-Krueger a few years ago.
ram

Post by ram »

well I have one on order, so will give some feed back towards the end of the month or early next month. Like I said I use 15's and 10's right now. Wanting to see if i even like the 12 sound.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It's more a matter of the sound of the particular drivers and the enclose and implementation of them that determine the sound rather than the diameter of the drivers, themselves.
ram

Post by ram »

To a point, but I do know that my 10 cab and 15 cab require different settings to get similar sounds and even then there is a flavor of difference with them. I know a lot of that could be drivers and the enclosures etc... but there is something else happening.... we'll see.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looking forward to your review; lots of folks talk about their amps but I don't see a lot about TC cabinets. 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I've been using a 1-12 Markbass combo with a 2nd 1-12 markbass cab for the last 4-5 years,and really like the overall sound they project. I've used a lot of 15" and 10" combinations in the past,and really like the 12's for their tonal qualities. (Full,but not too boomy). The Markbass speakers are rated at 400 watts apiece,so they can put out quite dangerous SP levels too!
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

jps wrote:Looking forward to your review; lots of folks talk about their amps but I don't see a lot about TC cabinets. 8)
I've noted the same thing.

I don't particularly like the way the TC cabinets look. It's a matter of taste, I suppose.

I have a TC BH-250 head which I really like a lot. But I use it with Eden, Aguilar and Carvin cabinets - never a TC. The BH-250 is a *great* all-around head that's all but replaced my AMP BH420 except when I need the AMPS's 400+ watts. The BH-250 actually fits in the pocket of my Levy's leather gig bag, along with the three cables I need for it.

I generally buy all my equipment second-hand, but the BH-250 was priced so low (around $200) that I bought it new.

I've never heard better sounding cabinets for their prices (second-hand) than the Eden D210-XLT, D112-XLT and EX-110; Carvin BRX 10.4 Neo; and Aguilar GS112. (I'm currently trying to decide which 1x12 I like better: the Aguilar GS112 or the Eden D112XLT.)

The BH-250 doesn't seem to like driving the Eden D210-XLT - it shuts off momentarily when I drive it hard. It works fine with my other bottoms. Impedance issues I suppose.

[BTW, did you know that the name of the company is TC Electronic rather than Electronics? I never remember that!]

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”