Need some advice about a home studio set up

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

alberobello

Need some advice about a home studio set up

Post by alberobello »

Hi there,

Normally I'd post here about my '99 4003, but this time I need your valuable suggestions on something else.. Sorry in advance if it will sound a bit out of the context :)

We want to set up something like a home studio, that we will be able to record a bass guitar and a drum set, and receieve all the output while we are playing through headphones.

In the drawing attached you will see what we are trying to achive. For now we have an electronic drum set, a rick 4003, a bass amp and a PC. I guess we will need an external sound card (or something to do its' job) a headphone preamp(we don't want to be noisy), a preamp or a processor ( I am a huge Chris Squire fan, I want to replicate his sound as much as I can. I have rotosound swing bass 66, but I don't know how it is going to sound through headphones.) and a software to control, record and receive the sound without any delay.

I'd very glad to hear your advices on this, considering that we want to maximize the quality of the sound with limited amount of money. Plus I have no experience about these stuff, please feel free to correct any mistake I did in the flow of the drawing and in the question.

And sorry If I shouldn't have posted it here :roll:

Thanks!
Attachments
rick.png
Cheers!
Ozan
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Need some advice about a home studio set up

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm currently riding the bus to work so I can't post a proper detailed reply, but really quick I can tell you this will be more complicated than you realize. The first two mistakes I notice are that 1) you want it cheap 2) you plan to send the same mix to both players' headphones. That may be troublesome. PM me for more info.
clementc3

Post by clementc3 »

I haven't tried their products but JamHub has a line of products that might fit your needs for now.

Their basic system is called the BedRoom: http://jamhub.com/what/bedroom.html

It looks like the main additional item that you would need is something that will take your bass output and convert it to a line level signal, like a Line 6 Bass POD, or maybe something even simpler and cheaper than that.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No need for both a preamp and a bass amp as you are going straight into the computer (via an interface, right? :wink: which you will need to input the multiple instruments simultaneously), just a decent preamp is all you'll need. As Jason mentioned, you really should have the ability to create separate headphone mixes for each musician as just about guaranteed the mix won't be happy for someone if it is shared as just one mix that is split among multiple headphones.

What do consider "limited amount of money"? Do some research about home/project studios and learn about everything you will really need, this can potentially get complex once you get past just one person recording individual tracks vs. several instruments being recorded simultaneously, along with monitoring/listening to each other while recording.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”