Chris Squire has passed . . .

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Chris Squire has passed . . .

Post by aceonbass »

Fortunately, unlike John Entwhistle, Chris did not leave his family in debt with a need to auction off all his gear. His net worth is north of $10 million. Hopefully, that iconic bass will remain with the family.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I hope his family doesn't get suckered into giving anything to Hard Rock Cafe. David Gilmour's original Black Strat was left hanging in the open on a wall for years, so people plucked off knobs and other parts for keepsakes. When Gilmour decided he wanted the guitar back, per the contract he signed with them, Hard Rock gave him a lot of stank about it. Is there anything like a Museum of Rock memorabilia where iconic instruments can be safely stored and displayed? I'd hate to see his stuff disappear into some private collectors vault, never to be played again.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Gilmourisgod wrote:I hope his family doesn't get suckered into giving anything to Hard Rock Cafe. David Gilmour's original Black Strat was left hanging in the open on a wall for years, so people plucked off knobs and other parts for keepsakes. When Gilmour decided he wanted the guitar back, per the contract he signed with them, Hard Rock gave him a lot of stank about it. Is there anything like a Museum of Rock memorabilia where iconic instruments can be safely stored and displayed? I'd hate to see his stuff disappear into some private collectors vault, never to be played again.

The EMP Museum in Seattle, or, Rickenbacker's own in Santa Ana
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

aceonbass wrote:Fortunately, unlike John Entwhistle, Chris did not leave his family in debt with a need to auction off all his gear. His net worth is north of $10 million. Hopefully, that iconic bass will remain with the family.
I'm very glad to hear that, the way Entwistle passed was just tragic, and I am still deeply saddened by loss of Chris.
I have a lot of influences on bass, but I would put Squire at the very top.
The timing of it really took me by surprise, I knew he was sick, but I didn't think it was his time yet....
I know from past experience that Leukemia is a very serious disease, I lost a good friend to it in my early teens, but I just thought he'd be able to survive with it awhile longer. Perhaps he was under treatment long before the actual announcement. I am so glad I was able to see him when he was in town last August....
I hope he and the rest of the band know how much they influenced us, my band and circle of friends, as we carried bottles of wine and battery powered cassette players into the piney woods of East Texas back in the day, blasting out "Yours is no Disgrace", Starship Trooper", "Siberian Khatru", etc. in the early '70s....
rowbo777

Post by rowbo777 »

Great man, tone, style and music. Very much missed!

Some kind words from Steve Hackett, says it all:
http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/steve154.html
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rowbo777 wrote:Great man, tone, style and music. Very much missed!

Some kind words from Steve Hackett, says it all:
http://www.hackettsongs.com/blog/steve154.html
:D

Another favorite musician of mine, who I have seen many times.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Hearing Chris Squire's sound on Roundabout is as mind-blowing now as it was when it first came out. RIP.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

aceonbass wrote:
cheyenne wrote:Vincent Gallo was the first person I thought of as well.
If Vince Gallo got ahold of it, it'd just join the rest of his collection never to be seen again, but I doubt he could afford it, even if he used all his royalties from The Brown Bunny and Buffalo 66 combined...
This isn't necessary, but typical...

Respect the thread
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

It's actually sinking in now. I've been crying on and off ALL day.............
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
4005player

Post by 4005player »

Lefty4003S8 wrote:It's actually sinking in now. I've been crying on and off ALL day.............
Yes, the initial shock and sadness of this news hit me hard as well...tears have been shed off and on since I heard the news. I posted this at YESWORLD.COM -

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Chris Squire, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. His bass line in Roundabout sealed the deal for me in deciding to learn the bass guitar. The very first song I learned was Siberian Khatru - a serious challenge for a brand new musician to attempt, and it took me a couple of weeks to learn it, entirely by ear, and be able to play it. (Years later I found his bass line transcription for it and found that I had gotten it right!) Nearly 3 years ago, I had the good fortune to meet Yes when they played here in LA, and had a couple of minutes to speak with him and tell him of his importance to me in my life as a fellow musician....we even shared a laugh together about the "tricky parts" of Yes' music! I'll never forget that experience, and am very glad I got to tell him thanks face to face! God Bless You, Chris Squire, and thanks for your great contribution to the world!

:cry: :cry: :cry:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I'm hoping someone like Palladia or VH1, or even MTV picks up on his loss, and puts together a nice well thought out biography of his life, career and his gift for the instrument.
"Knowledge is Power"
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

cheyenne wrote:I'm hoping someone like Palladia or VH1, or even MTV picks up on his loss, and puts together a nice well thought out biography of his life, career and his gift for the instrument.

I've been hoping the same!!!!!!
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

"Knowledge is Power"
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

aceonbass wrote:Fortunately, unlike John Entwhistle, Chris did not leave his family in debt with a need to auction off all his gear. His net worth is north of $10 million. Hopefully, that iconic bass will remain with the family.
I don't think John Entwistle was in debt when he died at all.
Over here in the UK, we have death duty and inheritance taxes. According to his son Christopher, THOSE are what prompted the auction of his effects.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Then why did it seem that ALL of his basses were being sold? I had read that he was in debt at the time, but I don't remember where since it was almost 15 years ago.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”