1980's 4003 - Weak E string?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

slave

1980's 4003 - Weak E string?

Post by slave »

Hi All,

I've done a search, found a few things, but still have some questions.
I'm not concerned with whether this is a myth or not, I've setup heaps of guitars and basses over the years - this is not a problem I've experienced before that I've been unable to fix.

I own an '82 4003, it's a killer bass in every way except the E is a little weak. This is a problem for both the bridge and neck pickup.
It's not massive, but even the guys in the band have noticed, so it's a real difference!
I've investigated the nut, bridge, frets, everything - and yeah I've tried tilting the pickups too. Hasn't solved the problem.
RE: Tilting pickups - It's impossible to get the strings all the same volume, the A & D are stronger than the rest, so I've been trying to balance the E with everything else.
If I had pickups with pole pieces that were height adjustable, this would be a very easy fix, but I don't. The pickups in the bass have the E & G down low and the A & D are raised.

FWIW, I'm using TI Jazz Flats, plugged into an Ampeg SVT2. I have other basses to compare to which don't have the issue.

Is there anything I could try to fix this?
If I *force* the pole pieces (down over the D & G strings) in the pickups, will I break the pickup?

Please tell me this is an easy fix! (like the weak G on a Stingray)
Cheers
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: 1980's 4003 - Weak E string?

Post by rickenbrother »

Was it always like that? If not, what changed that brought on this issue? Different strings, a set-up, etc.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
slave

Post by slave »

The bass is new to me - I've tried two different sets of strings, both have had the issue.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has some tips here :?:
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

I have encountered this a few times in my career though it had always been with Fender basses. Having eliminated obvious causes, I was baffled and frustrated, especially because of the inability to raise or lower the pole pieces. Yes, I have read articles on "smashing" down pole pieces, but the very real possibility of breaking the coil wire kept me from attempting it.

I put together a bass in the early 80's using Kubicki Fender Precision style maple/Indian rosewood neck and light weight alder body. I used Duncan hot P-bass pickups and vintage hardware. The G was weak except on two notes halfway up the neck. They were loud. The E was always weak. A and D were normal. I tried every string, I tweaked and adjusted everything, shimmed the neck, changed the nut material, no change. About 5 years ago I removed the Indian rosewood fretboard and replaced it with a slab-sawn Brazilian rosewood fretboard I made in a 7 1/4" radius with vintage size fretwire. I also used a bone nut. The only difference was that I had changed the original 10" radius and the .103 fretwire to .080.

Problem solved. The bass now sounds great and the strings are balanced one to another. I have to believe it was a matter of combined issues involving mass/density in the fretboard, frets, and neck.

Jim
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

A simpler solution MAY BE a tweak of the truss rods. Just a quarter turn on one or maybe both may squeeze the wood just enough to shift a dead spot around and make the string sing a little louder. Can't hurt to try it.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
slave

Post by slave »

bassduke49 wrote:A simpler solution MAY BE a tweak of the truss rods. Just a quarter turn on one or maybe both may squeeze the wood just enough to shift a dead spot around and make the string sing a little louder. Can't hurt to try it.
Good Point! I'd totally forgot about that little technique - I'll give it a shot when I get some time.
ram

Post by ram »

I think I'd do a set up from scratch and see what gives.... I seem to remember this issue in the past on this forum.. maybe search e string, dead e, etc an see what you come up with. Good luck and keep us posted please.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Is the E string weak when playing unplugged?
slave

Post by slave »

bluewhale wrote:Is the E string weak when playing unplugged?
Nope, only when plugged in. I think it's to do with the distance from the pickup pole.
ram wrote:I think I'd do a set up from scratch and see what gives.... I seem to remember this issue in the past on this forum.. maybe search e string, dead e, etc an see what you come up with. Good luck and keep us posted please.
Yeah I tried all the normal setup tricks. Truss rod tweak hasn't helped either. I've tried all the stuff suggested in the other threads I'd found.

My main question here fella's;
The POLE PIECES.
Can I move these without damaging the pickup? IS the coil attached to the poles, are they able to be tapped in or twisted a little without damage, so long as I'm careful enough not to pop off the back plate?

This post seems to suggest the poles in my '82 pickups are *drive screws*
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=388236
Does anyone know anything about the nature of these, and my above question?
slave

Post by slave »

Well, I got impatient and tried it.

The pole pieces are fixed in there so solidly, that only excessive force with a pair of pliers may twist them. I gave up on that.
I tried giving them a solid tap (out of the bass obviously) with the back of the pickup up against a brick, and no, they really don't want to budge.
And yeah, I was using quite a bit of force!

I get the feeling that the only way these pole pieces are going to shift is if I start applying some seriously heavy handed force to them, which I'm reluctant to, given I don't wanna break them.
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

I'm pretty sure the pole pieces on the higains are not to be moved, except on the newest ones (from 2008 or so). There's some threads on the topic in here I'm sure.
rictified

Post by rictified »

thisismusicinc wrote:I'm pretty sure the pole pieces on the higains are not to be moved, except on the newest ones (from 2008 or so). There's some threads on the topic in here I'm sure.
They can be moved with a pair of pliers and some force, but you will probably dent the little caps, ask me how I know this.
slave

Post by slave »

rictified wrote:
thisismusicinc wrote:I'm pretty sure the pole pieces on the higains are not to be moved, except on the newest ones (from 2008 or so). There's some threads on the topic in here I'm sure.
They can be moved with a pair of pliers and some force, but you will probably dent the little caps, ask me how I know this.
They can be? Did you damage the pickup in the process?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Oooh, man, I wouldn't try that. :shock:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I remember reading somewhere on this forum, many years back, that lowering the pickups can help with volume balance to some extent, due to the non-linear relationship between magnetic field strength and distance. The cost will be reduced output, but maybe worth a shot?
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”