Laredo vs Cheyenne II, rear upper body contouring

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

henry5
Advanced Member

Laredo vs Cheyenne II, rear upper body contouring

Post by henry5 »

Hi all; when I had a Cheyenne II a few years back I had some issues with the rear upper bout; the chamfered edge and narrow profile body edge ironically aggravated a nerve condition I have over the bound 4001/4003, which doesn't bother me at all. I've been considering getting another to see if anything has changed, but I've noticed that on pics of Laredos they seem to have something of a forearm contour on the upper rear bout; rather than being flat-fronted like a Cheyenne II, the bout seems to curve away slightly. Is this an optical illusion or is this actually the case? If it is indeed the case (although I've no idea why it should be) the Laredo may succeed where the Cheyenne failed. I'd be grateful if anyone who has experience of both could advise, preferably before the Cheyenne I'm looking at goes! :wink:
woodyng

Re: Laredo vs Cheyenne II, rear upper body contouring

Post by woodyng »

Of My collection of 2 cheyennes (i and ii),and 2 Laredos,there are definitely small differences in the feel of that contoured edge. Since hand sanding is involved,you're likely going to need to experience the bass in question directly to determine if it's going to feel right for you. (Of my 4,the '98 Ci is the most contoured.) My '15 Laredo seems to have a bit more contouring than either of my 2 '04 basses,too.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

In a given year, Laredos and Cheyennes have the same body contouring. I don't see how the upper rear contour could be harder on your forearm than the same area on a 4003, or even 4003S, as it's more contoured and rounded over more than either 4003 model.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Thanks Woody.

Dane, I wish I was making it up and I know it may seem strange but it is 100 percent true. I have nerve entrapment caused by prolapsed discs in my neck and the long term nature has permanently affected the nerves in my arms. You're not the first to find it strange, but sadly it's all too real.

For what it's worth, it's the rounding over that's the problem. It's not just Rics either, I can't play most basses now because of my nerve problems. I recently had to get rid of an Ibanez SR, generally considered a very comfortable and ergonomic instrument, for reasons of pain whilst playing, again down to the body shape. Fender Jazzes and Status basses are the worst, I can't play either for more than seconds without severe pain. For some reason the slab & bound 4001/4003 is one of the few basses now that (luckily) causes me little discomfort. It's to do with how my arm rests on the body; on a 4001/ 4003 I kind of rest my forearm on the flat side of the bass. It seems that the greater (and flat) width simply doesn't affect my arm the same. And I can't float my arm because I also have shoulder problems.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

henry5 wrote:Thanks Woody.

Dane, I wish I was making it up and I know it may seem strange but it is 100 percent true. I have nerve entrapment caused by prolapsed discs in my neck and the long term nature has permanently affected the nerves in my arms. You're not the first to find it strange, but sadly it's all too real.

For what it's worth, it's the rounding over that's the problem. It's not just Rics either, I can't play most basses now because of my nerve problems. I recently had to get rid of an Ibanez SR, generally considered a very comfortable and ergonomic instrument, for reasons of pain whilst playing, again down to the body shape. Fender Jazzes and Status basses are the worst, I can't play either for more than seconds without severe pain. For some reason the slab & bound 4001/4003 is one of the few basses now that (luckily) causes me little discomfort. It's to do with how my arm rests on the body; on a 4001/ 4003 I kind of rest my forearm on the flat side of the bass. It seems that the greater (and flat) width simply doesn't affect my arm the same. And I can't float my arm because I also have shoulder problems.
Really sorry to hear about that, Shaun! I hope you are receiving treatment that will help to alleviate the situation eventually. I know that for myself, every passing year makes it harder for me to deal with some physical issues of playing, but I hope you are able to get over this nerve issue soon.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

henry5 wrote:Thanks Woody.

Sounds like you have the inverse problem to most folks. :|
In my bass buying experience,i've tried a number of basses i've really loved except for the slab/straight edged bodies.
So,for you,i could recommend a danelectro,original Precision or Tele,or the Carvin AC series.
But seriously,for Ricks i think an S model 4003 might work best for you. They are contoured but not as much as the 4004 models. And if you're wanting the hb pickups they will fit in a 4003,too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry to hear about this nerve problem you have. My two 4004L models have a somewhat pronounced arm cut/round over (I don't exactly recall what it was like on my 2004 Cii but are probably more so than the Cii) so they may not be best for your medical condition.

Given that you want to stay with a Rick bass, perhaps a secondhand 4005WB would work, nicely. Yes, they are a bit pricy, but maybe you can have your medical insurance cover most of the cost. :wink:
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Thanks guys. Don't worry, my two '72 4001s aren't going anywhere. The 4004 is because I want one, not because I need one. :wink:

I do indeed seem to have the opposite problem to many people. I often wonder if it's because I learned to play on a 4001 and I've been playing them for not that far off 40 years now. Billy Sheehan said the same about P shaped basses, that his body has sort of molded to them.

A 4005 is way beyond me Jeff! And what's medical insurance? In the U.K.we call it the NHS. :wink: It gets a lot of stick but we wouldn't be without it.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I want some of that health insurance that provides a 4005WB as part of "physical therapy"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My knee's been acting up lately, and I had surgery on it about two years ago, but I think a 1964 RM1999 is essential to my complete recovery! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What, the Queen won't pay for your well being? :shock: :lol:
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

squirebass wrote:I want some of that health insurance that provides a 4005WB as part of "physical therapy"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My knee's been acting up lately, and I had surgery on it about two years ago, but I think a 1964 RM1999 is essential to my complete recovery! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That'd almost be worth a bad knee......almost! :lol:
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

jps wrote:What, the Queen won't pay for your well being? :shock: :lol:
For some reason Jeff, she's not answering my calls. I wonder if she does Skype? :wink: :lol:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

squirebass wrote:I want some of that health insurance that provides a 4005WB as part of "physical therapy"!
Personally, I'd rather a 4002.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote:
squirebass wrote:I want some of that health insurance that provides a 4005WB as part of "physical therapy"!
Personally, I'd rather a 4002.
I used to desire a 4002, nowadays I love the 4004L models.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

It's possible that, if I ever get the chance to try a 4002, I won't like it, but I don't think that's very likely. I like my 4004Cii well enough, but I think I prefer my 4001 and 4003 basses.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”