Choosing between RIC Hi-Gain, Toaster, or CA pickup

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

prowla

Re: Choosing between RIC Hi-Gain, Toaster, or CA pickup

Post by prowla »

henry5 wrote:
prowla wrote:
Freez wrote: Paul, what is the reason you would not put a toaster in a 4003? Do you perceive some shortcoming in the toaster? I love the way they look, but sound is most important. Regarding your last line, I have no experience with the current hi gain. I know it is overwound compared to the old hi gains, so I don't know if it still sounds like a Rick...
For me, it would just be the wrong period - toasters belong on pre '73 Rics.

As for the new ones, my point was really that if you walked into a shop and tried a brand-new Ric, then you would expect it to sound like one; I've not heard an outcry that new Rics just don't sound like Rics, so therefore I would say that a new hi gain should fit the bill.
Nah, toasters belong on whatever they sound good in, as do any pickups. :wink:

It could be argued that all Rics sound like Rics; however some sound more like Rics than others. :lol: It depends on your reference point really. Like I said before, I never played a Ric that satisfied me until I stumbled across my Fireglo pre-skunk '72, and at that point I didn't even know what a toaster was. Not that the toaster was the whole of the story, but it's a fair part of it, as proved by the fact that of the fifteen or so Rics I've owned, most have had toasters and the rest - with the exception of the 4004, which was something different - I didn't really like. :lol: Although I did play one new 4003 recently that I thought was great. Different than mine, but great.
Sure - it's just my opinion.
I've only got 2 Rics and they both have toasters.
If I were to get a 4003, I wouldn't put a toaster on it.
Indeed, I've got a set of '78 pickups in a box too (minus a Ric!).
I may well get a 4003 at some point.
I may also do a custom build to home my pickups...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

prowla wrote:...If I were to get a 4003, I wouldn't put a toaster on it....
I put two of them in my old '04 4003FL, along with a few other goodies! :mrgreen:
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2005 All rights reserved.
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2005 All rights reserved.
And, one on my old '08 4003, again, along with a few other goodies, like a '60s magnetic horseshoe pickup. :mrgreen:
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2009 All rights reserved.
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2009 All rights reserved.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

If it was up to me I wouldn't use a vintage style toaster on a 4003 because the pickup spacing is 1" from the end of the fingerboard instead of 1/2" like the 4001 that would have originally come with the toaster. Using a stock vintage style toaster in a 4003 would result in a quieter pickup as far as output when compared to using one in a 4001, although a hot toaster might work better in a 4003. I personally like the 1/2" spacing better for tonal reasons myself, but since everyone hears differently, then you may like it so give it a try.

Greg
Freez

Post by Freez »

Thanks to everyone that took the time to share your thoughts. Still not sure which way to go, but I will update you when I decide. It's kind of on the back burner right now; it also needs a refret and I'm hoping to find someone local that can do a Paul W caliber job (I don't want to risk shipping my #1 clear across the country, so unless Paul is moving to Detroit, I'm SOL)!
Rickenbacker 4003 - Epiphone Viola - Fender Jazz - G & L SB-1
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Freez wrote:...I'm hoping to find someone local that can do a Paul W caliber job (I don't want to risk shipping my #1 clear across the country, so unless Paul is moving to Detroit, I'm SOL)!
http://www.davisguitarworks.com
Freez

Post by Freez »

jps wrote:
Freez wrote:...I'm hoping to find someone local that can do a Paul W caliber job (I don't want to risk shipping my #1 clear across the country, so unless Paul is moving to Detroit, I'm SOL)!
Is this guy in Detroit area?
Freez

Post by Freez »

jps wrote:
****, he's in Georgia...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Freez wrote:
jps wrote:
****, he's in Georgia...
He is in Florida now, he used to be in Georgia.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

There's always the Lollar Broiler pickup to consider as well - a little cheaper than a toaster. Whilst Jason makes them for guitar, I'm sure he could tap the mounting holes so they would fit on a 4003.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Horses for Courses.

If I were playing a bass with the 1/2 inch older 4001 style neck pickup placement, I would use a toaster because the close together slugs under the cover have a characteristic of a slightly softer articulation, which to my ears is more compatible with the slightly more mellow or hollow tone of the pickup being essentially up against the neck.

By contrast, if I were playing a bass with the 1 inch newer 4003 style neck pickup placement, I would use a high gain, so that the slightly more focused magnetic field of the four poles and the slightly more defined articulation that comes with it to my ears go better with the slightly more overtones that develop from the strings with the pickup a little bit farther away from the neck.

I concede the differences are subtle, but there nonetheless.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”