UK Based Tech

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BatBassist

UK Based Tech

Post by BatBassist »

Can anyone recommend a UK tech with proper Ric experience?
Ideally East Anglia, London or Midlands.
holty

Re: UK Based Tech

Post by holty »

I’d be interested in any recommendations for a good tech in the UK also.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Martin Pertersen at The Bass Gallery in Camden has worked on loads of Rics, including several of mine. He also makes some of the most amazing basses on Earth, Sei Basses, and he’s a great guy to boot.
BatBassist

Post by BatBassist »

It’s alarming that there is only a single (albeit excellent) recommendation for a UK tech isn’t it?
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

What work needs to be performed? Just tweaking the setup can be a DIY job, one I find rewarding. If your bass needs actual repair or refinishing, perhaps saying so would elicit more helpful replies. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

This bears repeating, hence the quote.
scott_s wrote:What work needs to be performed? Just tweaking the setup can be a DIY job, one I find rewarding. If your bass needs actual repair or refinishing, perhaps saying so would elicit more helpful replies. :)
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

BatBassist wrote:It’s alarming that there is only a single (albeit excellent) recommendation for a UK tech isn’t it?
I would also recommend John Diggins (JD guitars) but I believe Jaydee are now only doing repairs on their own guitars, although at the moment they’ll likely be in lockdown anyway. This is a big problem in the UK at the moment - and probably everywhere else - no-one is open, or the few that are are generally only working on their own guitars (Overwater is another).

A lot of top UK techs have little real experience with Rics. Even some of the most respected UK luthiers either don’t have a lot of experience with them or don’t like working on them. Every single one I’ve ever been to has hated the old 4001 rods and the bridge.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Further to the above, I just recently had my Azureglo in to Martin Petersen at the Bass Gallery as I just couldn’t get it that extra 20% how I wanted it, no matter what I did. I’ll add that I like an extremely straight neck and super low action. A friend made a new bearing block for the rods and Martin did an amazing job, it now plays unbelievably. Action at the 12th fret E is now roughly 1mm. The man’s a genius.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

BatBassist wrote:It’s alarming that there is only a single (albeit excellent) recommendation for a UK tech isn’t it?
There's not many in the US I'd recommend either!
CatHead

Post by CatHead »

A bit late to this topic but Listers Guitars in Lowestoft sorted out a few problems on my 4003, loose truss rods and action all over the place when I bought it. Pete there has been in the business all his life and is the only guy id trust now, he did a bang-up job and its been great ever since. A certain venue in Norwich said "we'll have a go at it" when I asked them if they coudl do it or had any experience. That didnt fill me with confidence.
1975 Rickenbacker 480 Jetglo
1980 Rickenbacker 4001 BurgundyGlo
1982 Rickenbacker 4001 Cream
2002 Rickenbacker 4003 BurgundyGlo COTY
2010 Rickenbacker 620 FireGlo
2015 Rickenbacker 4003S JetGlo
2017 Rickenbacker 4003 British Racing Green Ltd Ed
espidog

Post by espidog »

Useful to know, as I live in Norwich! :wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo