Rickenbacker Bass Models, A history/list

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

dave_axt

Post by dave_axt »

I have been getting lots of info from people so hopefully this weekend I can update the article.

Thank you to all that have sent me info.

David
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

David,
Have you been able to get any firm numbers on the Shadows and Tux basses yet?
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

I was once told by Mr. Hall that 50 Shadows were made during the 1986-89 production run.
Hope this info helps.
banta
Veteran RRF member

Post by banta »

Anybody here just swipe the one that sold on ebay for $500 BIN? I just missed it. Image
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

The Blackstar was purchased by a guy over in the dudepit, I missed that by a few minutes, but then again it was a zero feedback w/shades seller so who knows.
banta
Veteran RRF member

Post by banta »

I hear ya, but at $500 and PayPal accepted, I would have taken my chances. That guy could easily resell it for twice what he paid if not more.
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

The buyer is also registered here. And the bass has apparently been shipped, he has a tracking number. If he gets a real Blackstar for 500 bucks, that will be a great reward for his constant eBay prowling.
ken_james
Veteran RRF member

Post by ken_james »

I read that on the other board, no doubt it's a killer deal.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Question, two actually: - Inside the body of my 1967 4005, once handwritten, once hand printed, is "4005 K". What do you suppose the K stands for? Also, when I purchased it in 1981, the pick guard was (and still is)a Stratocaster type, that is, three layers (white-black-white, foil backing). It is not a home made looking job, that is, it looks factory, but not the normal material. It has also color-aged in the way vintage Strat pickguards do. I repeat, it looks professionally or factory made, and to be of more expensive materials than stock. Did they do special orders like that?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The pickguard could not be factory supplied as all of our were single layer with the exception of the 4002 and several prototypes.

The K would be the batch code used in the factory to signify when they were sprayed, so as to know when they're ready for buffing. There was no particular system in use nor any particular meaning, just whatever the paint supervisor at any given time chose to use.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Not to beat a dead horse, but I had a ´75 FG 4001 with Grovers and bass pickup in the old (1/2 in. closer to neck) position, it even had the old style Ric insignia, lettering under, not raised on top of the truss rod cover (or whatever it is called)
Fred Kensal

Re: Rickenbacker Bass Models, A history/list

Post by Fred Kensal »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how many 4001S (1999) Rose Morris export models were made in 1966, as I can't seem to find this information anywhere..not even in the Rickenbacker guitar book, which has the information for the 6 and 12 strings, but not the basses. I have e-mailed Rickenbacker but haven't heard anything back yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, would anyone have any idea of it's current value? I wouldn't sell it, but it would be nice to know! The poor thing had to be retired from touring last year..(too many temperature changes affecting the action), but I still use it for recording all the time and it's fab. Many thanks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome, David! 8)

There was an excellent two part article in recent past issues of Vintage Guitar magazine. I don't know if these figures are accurate but it was said in the article that 101 basses were ordered by RM in 1964, with an additional 25 each in 1965 and 1966 for a total of 151 1999 basses.
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

Welcome David!

Can you post some pictures of your bass?

Thanks.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Those figures are also in R Smith's book, but given
the controversy over the other figures I never gave them
more than a nod.
That said, I just go by "rare as a hen's tooth" on those....
Yes and please post pictures:-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”