That Sgt Pepper's sound.. which strings?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

westtexasrickenbacker

That Sgt Pepper's sound.. which strings?

Post by westtexasrickenbacker »

Hi Kids,

I was reading in another post about strings, but it's a bit dated so pardon me for starting a new one, but I need advice.

I've got a 4003 currently with rounds. I want the Sgt Pepper's sound, or at least approximate it on my 4003 as opposed to a 4001.

Can you in the know out there recommend gauges and
String brands? I know flats are key and I'm thinking Labella, TIs, or Pyramids, but I certainly don't know for sure. Help!!
zoomduck

Post by zoomduck »

Those all sound good along with D'addario Chromes .
More throttle...Less brakes
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

for me to get that sound I palm mute and use round wound strings ... McCartney used flats on his Ric ...
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

McCartney has used, and as far as I know, still uses Pyramids. Most flats will do though.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

I would be very surprised if PM ever used Pyramids on his 4001S.
Since I make a living with "That Sgt.Pepper sound" I'll add my 2 cts. I've had good luck with GHS flats(not Brite Flats), Rotosound flats, and DaDarrio Chromes.
Not so good luck with TI, LaBella, Pyramid. All are unable to reproduce the bass tone of "With A Little Help From My Friends", they're too muffled-sounding. YMMV.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

It's very possible that Paul's 4001S bass still had it's factory Maxima strings on it by the time of Sgt. Peppers. Paul had the bass barely a year when The Beatles started recording Pepper tracks in late 1966. Paul used his 4001S bass mostly as a studio instrument. The bass sounds on Sgt. Pepper are from DI (direct injection/input) which will give you a different sound than just playing through an amp alone. I would use TI strings for the correct tone along with a DI box.
zoomduck

Post by zoomduck »

Paul also played a Fender Jazz . Who knows what he really played on all those tracks . Since the Beatles were heavily influenced by the Beach Boys " Pet Sounds " LP just before Sgt Pepper , I think Paul was really going for that Carol Kaye P bass sound . She played her P Bass through a Fender Super Reverb for recording . Palm mute or foam mute a flatwound stringed Hofner , P , Jazz , RIC... it all works Image
More throttle...Less brakes
westtexasrickenbacker

Post by westtexasrickenbacker »

Wow, great information to chew on. Thanks everyone for their input.

Fender roundwounds it it!!! Only joking. I have both some Roto flats and some D'Addario Chromes that didn't workout on a Hofner copy from the '70s. I'll try 'em both.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Ronn: Why would't he not have pyramids on the 4001?
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

FWIK, the Fender Jazz didn't come into the picture until The White Album.

Possible that Pyramids could have been used by 1967 as The Beatles were given all the Selmer strings they wanted (that were made by Pyramid) until Brian Epstein died.

Paul used his 4001S on some of Rubber Soul and most if not all of Revolver then took the bass on the 1966 tour as backup. The factory strings saw less than two months of play time on them all together by the time Pepper sessions started.
maplered

Post by maplered »

I haven't had much luck w/ new Pyramids on a Rick either. I've used GHS and Fender flats. The Fender's put too much tension on the neck, though.
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

I'm pretty sure the entirety of Sgt. Peppers was recorded with the Ric (I don't think he even owned the Jazz until later) . . . dunno about what strings he used. I read something about LaBella Tapewounds, but I can't recall if that was his Hofner or his Ric or what.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Long shiny ones, duh.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I get the closest approximation of Mac's sound with Pyramids. I have also heard that he used Ric Maxima strings for a long time on that bass. TI's are too middy, GHS bright flats are too bright, Fenders are too thumpy, I mean for the McCartney sound at least for me, but they all sound good and all have their place. I just about nail the sound with Pyramid Golds and their sound doesn't change for literally years from right out of the box. They are a little heavy though especially if you like to bend strings like I do, I like my very old light GHS bright flats for that.
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

Players who have used both Pyramids and TI's say they both sound about the same with the TI's giving a lesser tension.

I like both brands for certain instruments.

John Hall say's TI's are the closest out there to the original Maximas.

The 'word on the street' is that Paul uses LaBella's on his Hofner today.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”