Since halloween is coming up, butchered Rick basses gallery

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

alanz
Intermediate Member

Re: Since halloween is coming up, butchered Rick basses gallery

Post by alanz »

I'd like to go on record as saying I'd NEVER customize a Rick bass ever for any reason whatsoever no I would not, sir!

Ahem.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I did customize this one.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

My favorite: REVENGE OF THE SCORNED WIFE

Paul or Dale, could that have been salvaged?
blazer

Post by blazer »

johnallg wrote:My favorite: REVENGE OF THE SCORNED WIFE

Paul or Dale, could that have been salvaged?
I am neither Paul or Dale but I do have nine years of experience as a pro guitar repairman and looking at that I can say: No, you can glue the body back together but the lip which connects the neck to the body is too short to make a steady solid connection.

I'm sure Paul and Dale would agree with me on this.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

OK, here's MY UGLY bass.
Attachments
DSCN2739.jpg
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

blazer wrote:I am neither Paul or Dale but I do have nine years of experience as a pro guitar repairman and looking at that I can say: No, you can glue the body back together but the lip which connects the neck to the body is too short to make a steady solid connection.

I'm sure Paul and Dale would agree with me on this.
Wouter, that was my feeling back when that was on eBay a couple years ago, and now when I asked, but then I am not a pro. I think the only possible hope would be to use rods of some sort but then aligning it all could prove impossible.
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

I bought a butchered Jan 1973 4001 off of a forum member and I'm sending it to Dale next year for restoration. A previous owner had installed a badass bridge(routed of course) and those heavy open back grovers(neck dive). I 've been collecting the correct missing hardware, I got some closed back grovers off ebay and Dane Wilder just helped me out with a 3 hole C64 tailpiece which is going to be perfect- thanks Dane! I almost passed on this bass but the electronics, pickguard, and TRC are original and in great condition. The inlays are incredible and sealed the deal. I can't wait to see this one after the transformation, another 4001 is going back through the time machine.

73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Beautiful FG, Mark, too bad it has to be refinished, but that's what it is. I don't think I would have or could have drilled out the headstock like that. It should be really sweet when Dale is done with it. No doubt a solid color, AZ?
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

I already have an AZ so I'm thinking trans burgundy. I know some of the repairs are going to be sort of visible but it won't be too bad. The tailpiece covers most of the route except for a small 1/8" on either side near the binding side. Dale mentioned something about cutting the wings off, repairing the damaged part of the neck blank, and attaching fresh wings. The wavy grovers have really wide bushings so I think the front is going to look good. I'm not too worried about the back but it might be OK too. I've seen what Dale can do for a rick with a busted off headstock, this should be pretty easy in comparison.
73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Mark, you're not going to have Dale replace the body wings are you? Did you get your tailpiece yet?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

IIRC, Dale said he could repair that busted-up v63, and that it would be very difficult to see the repair!
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

Dane, I got the tailpiece and it's perfect, looks like it's made very solid and beefy. I predict no lift and it's going to look right at home. When I mentioned wings above I meant headstock wings. The body wings are in good shape as is the checkered binding. The fret board is coming unglued but Dale said that will be easy to fix.
ricosound
Intermediate Member

Post by ricosound »

"This '72 4001 was brought back to life just as it's heart stopped beating:-"

Darren, did you purchase this bass? I was in serious negotiations with the seller off 'bay and had the funds ready to send when he suddenly had to leave the country. I knew I was out bid when he stopped returning my e-mail. It looks fabulous, but my foiled plans were for a trans burgandy Dale Fortune refin.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

ricosound wrote:"This '72 4001 was brought back to life just as it's heart stopped beating:-"

Darren, did you purchase this bass? I was in serious negotiations with the seller off 'bay and had the funds ready to send when he suddenly had to leave the country. I knew I was out bid when he stopped returning my e-mail. It looks fabulous, but my foiled plans were for a trans burgandy Dale Fortune refin.
Wes, then I won't tell you that this bass is the best sounding Rick bass I've played. Everytime someone at SoCal 2007 played it, it had "the sound."

:twisted:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”