Model of the week 18: Chris Squire Limited Edition

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Model of the week 18: Chris Squire Limited Edition

Post by johnallg »

iamthebassman wrote:
johnallg wrote:Ronn and John - your two lefties are probably the total production of CS lefties. :shock: The only two I've ever heard of.
Hmm..I wonder what its worth, paid $999 in 1992.
Ahhh, but could you part with it? You read John's remorse... Your CS is a great investment for retirement, at the very least, but also one heckuva great bass.

Unless you want to sell, in which case I'll give you $1998 for it, twice what you paid. Fair enough? :twisted: :lol:
Ric N. Backer

Post by Ric N. Backer »

iamthebassman wrote:Mine's # 286(I think, 280 something).
Baby guarding bass. :lol:

Terrific! 8)
If Mozart were with us today, he'd play a Fireglo 4001C64! ~~~*~~~ Beethoven, on the other hand, would play a Matte Jetglo 4001C64S!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

gareth wrote:
The CS is the hottest, most piano like bass in my collection.
Same here. 8)
pamenter

Post by pamenter »

Hi john
I own Chris Squire j45255,number 261 lefthanded. It was manufactured on the 11th day of October,1991.
maybe the first lefty made?
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

pamenter wrote:Hi john
I own Chris Squire j45255,number 261 lefthanded. It was manufactured on the 11th day of October,1991.
maybe the first lefty made?

If you EVER want to sell it.........PLEASE contact me first!!!!!!!

Lefty4003s8

Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
pamenter

Post by pamenter »

Hi Greg
Not for sale at this time.This bass has a perfecly straight neck,best i have ever played.Never moves like some i have owned.
The bass is bright in sound.I play it through an alembic pre-amp;35 years old.The old blue ones.Sounds amazing!!!and yes i do have the original certificate.
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

pamenter wrote:Hi Greg
Not for sale at this time.This bass has a perfecly straight neck,best i have ever played.Never moves like some i have owned.
The bass is bright in sound.I play it through an alembic pre-amp;35 years old.The old blue ones.Sounds amazing!!!and yes i do have the original certificate.

MAN!!!! You're making me SO :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rub my nose in it, why don't you!!!! :D :D

Lefty4003s8

bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Mine is #179, July 1991.. and as soon as my parts arrive...I 'll play it(Finally :? ) and then post a picture. Looking at some of these other pics I would say mine has yellowed considerably more (BananaGlo anyone?). The lacquer on mine has also chequered quite a bit.
Droog61

Post by Droog61 »

4001 v63 + vermilion + paint = Squire Placebo effect? :)

Okay, this is what I don't get
If a 'special edition' comes out should they not be all consistent? esp. if they are a signature edition?

Why do I read that these basses pretty much parallel the v63's in neck and headstock depending on the year made?
I mean someone help me out here?

As if Rick would dare make a Bass true to Squire's 4001 due to the maintenance and warranty nightmares trying to imitate his mods :)
so I mean besides the Vermilion fretboard and temperamental paint job whats the deal?

Like that punk said to Dirty Harry after Harry ask him" did I fire 5 shots or six?"... I gotz ta know? :)

Andrew
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I'm not sure what you find objectionable. The CS was in production for about ten years, and yes, in parallel with the V63. At the time of its introduction in 1991, the CS retailed for $1529, while the V63 was $1429. So you were paying a hundred bucks more for the special wood, different paint, and signature pickguard (some suggest there was some other modifications made but I can't confirm). Sounds reasonable to me. But the secondary market seems to have increased the value and asking price of the CS basses much higher than comparable V63s. That's our tough luck. If people are paying more for something they want, we have only ourselves to blame.

As far as the "consistency" goes, RIC never claimed that the CS would be exactly like Squire's original (to our benefit), and the subtle changes over the years can be considered improvements by some. There's no implied promise that the last one would be identical to the first one.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

"The neck has been shaped to meet Squire's specifications and match his original bass."

http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.a ... 2&news=old
glking14

Post by glking14 »

What makes this bass so desirable,other tham being a Rick.
1971 4001 MG,70's Ventura ,1979 Yamaha BB-1200,1992 Fender Jazz,1994 Fender Strat
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

glking14 wrote:What makes this bass so desirable,other tham being a Rick.
Chris Squire.

Also the beautiful wood and color/finish, the 1/2" spaced toaster, and the RIHS.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

IMHO, it has a sound ALL it's own.

I own both a V63 & a CS. The V63 is a 1988 and the CS is a 1995.

I don't know if it is the Vermilion or what....but as was said earlier...it sounds almost "piano like".

The V63 has a more IN YOUR FACE sound. Just more guttural, very different indeed.
pamenter

Post by pamenter »

Chris Squires sound,
I think a lot of the sounds he gets is from his old marshall amp he still uses.He used it for over 40 years.I have an alembic pre-amp over 35 years old and nothing sounds even close to it .It must be after all the years of playing things just get smoother. People always ask what kind of amp i use because the never seen one that looks like mine, or sounds like it .I believe lucky seven was a thunderbird bass ? Sounds like his rickenbacker to me. Roto's,marshall,pick,rickenbacker,his hands, all add up to his sound.

mike

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”