Intermediate Member

Re: Model of the week 18: Chris Squire Limited Edition

Post by just_bassics »

Tony! I - KNOW - WHERE - YOU - LIVE!!!
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

just_bassics wrote:Tony! I - KNOW - WHERE - YOU - LIVE!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SO, what are you waiting for?

C'mon down! :wink:
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Becky wrote:
woodyng wrote:i like to think that what chris was going for when he had his rm painted that color was something that resembled an "antiqued" white,like an older jazz bass. . .
In an interview with Bassist magazine in January 1997 (heralding the Keys to Ascension albums), Chris said of his bass:
Mine was originally [Fireglo] and that's one of the reasons why it ended up sounding the way it did, because when I was in The Syn, I put this flowery contact stuff all over it. When all that finished I went to see Sam Lee, a famous guitar repairer and he peeled that off and rubbed the wood down to get it nice again, but the Fireglo had gone, so he painted it cream. Then I stuck silver paper all over it, and a rubber edge round it - went through that period - then took it to Sam again. By now the bass guitar was only three-quarters of the weight it was when it started off. That was prior to me using it on "Roundabout", so maybe that's why it sounded so different from every other Rickenbacker bass, because it had been messed about, then planed down and revarnished so many times.
No offense intended and with all due respect to Chris. I have read that too and am doubtful. If his bass had really lost that much weight in wood one would expect that the jack plate would no longer fit correctly. It should be protruding well past the top and/or back of the bass. Also, the bridge does not allow for that much variation in the distance between the body-face and the fingerboard.

Then there is the question of the true origin of Rick-O-Sound. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickfan60 wrote:No offense intended and with all due respect to Chris. I have read that too and am doubtful. If his bass had really lost that much weight in wood one would expect that the jack plate would no longer fit correctly. It should be protruding well past the top and/or back of the bass. Also, the bridge does not allow for that much variation in the distance between the body-face and the fingerboard.

Then there is the question of the true origin of Rick-O-Sound. :)
Don't forget that the horseshoe pickup would be protruding from the back of the body, too! :wink:

Does this look thinned out to you?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Next to Mr. Squier it looks like a postage stamp.

Nonetheless, the bass does feel like it has a heck of a lot less mass than any other Rick bass that I've handled or (butterfingers) played.

The neck is a good 3/32" thinner front-to-back than any other I've felt, as well.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

The neck is probably similar to the one on my '63. They are really thin from that era. I suppose his could be shaved down from the original shape. Maybe that is why his action is so high.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rickfan60 wrote:Maybe that is why his action is so high.
Ain't it though!!!! :shock:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

rickfan60 wrote:The neck is probably similar to the one on my '63. They are really thin from that era. I suppose his could be shaved down from the original shape. Maybe that is why his action is so high.
It's shaved down a lot beyond any you could imagine, Ted. The action at the 14th fret was enough to drive a...

...through.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Has the neck failed or does he like it that way?
jon

Post by jon »

I bought mine via the Ric page, although it belonged to a forum member here - Mike C. Serial is early 500s, but certificate is dated 1993, which seems a bit out of sync. It's a dream to play, sounds fantastic and dominates any mix - I love it!

Before it got to me, it was well photographed on Mr Rath's rug & sofa, but for some reason, I haven't really photographed it since I got it. So here I am, taken by surprise at a rehearsal a few years ago with a band that has actually had more members than Yes.
Atacama Rehearsal
Atacama Rehearsal
Rickenbackers: 4003 FG, 4080 BG, 4001CS, 4003 DCM, 4080/12 MG, 4003s5 JG, 4004Cii MG.
Others by: Wal, Fender, Warwick & Washburn
Amps by : TC Electronics & Ashdown.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

rickfan60 wrote:Has the neck failed or does he like it that way?
If by "failed" you mean "developed cracks", then, no, it hasn't. If, however, you mean, "developed a noticeable curve", then it failed to the point where it was sent into RIC earlier this year for some work.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Yes, I was wondering if it has bowed beyond any recovery. What can they do at this point?
Becky

Post by Becky »

rickfan60 wrote:If his bass had really lost that much weight in wood one would expect that the jack plate would no longer fit correctly. It should be protruding well past the top and/or back of the bass. Also, the bridge does not allow for that much variation in the distance between the body-face and the fingerboard.
I think the weight loss might have been more subjective than objective, and the majority of the material removed would have to be on the body - I'd've thought that Mr Squire was too much of a musician to stick flowery paper all over the back of the neck too! My 4003 is not that heavy a bass and to lose a quarter of its weight it'd be under seven pounds now. In my purely subjective appraisal, I'd say that would be on the skinny side.

Does anyone know if Chris has always played with a high action? Lucky Seven was 34 years ago, and you can hear the strings buzzing all over the frets; you'd have to be hitting the strings very very hard if the action was right up there. I presume that it was actually recorded using the Rick?
haw

Post by haw »

If I'm not mistaken, Lucky Seven and a big chunk of the rest of the solo album were done on his maple necked '75 Jazz bass.

40 years of near constant use have definitely taken their toll though. Think it's a testament to the design that its still anywhere near playable, and that's with the neck break.
Last edited by haw on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Mine's # 286(I think, 280 something).

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”