Anatomy Of A Rickenbacker Bass Part 8

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickfan60

Anatomy Of A Rickenbacker Bass Part 8

Post by rickfan60 »

Anatomy Of A Rickenbacker Bass – Part 8 The Plastic Parts

OK, better late than never! There were a lot of distractions this week including some floor refinishing. Then there was the collapsed sewer line in front of my house. Anyway, here it is - a bit rushed and not quite as complete as I would like.....

Plastics have played a major role on Rickenbacker instruments since the first Bakelite Hawaiian guitars were made back in the 1930's. Bakelite continues today only as a nut material but other more advanced plastics such as Delrin and acrylic are now integral to Rickenbacker designs. What has become known as the Rickenbacker style is largely a function of the stylish plastic parts. Covered here are the nuts, truss rod covers, pickguards, and knobs.

Nuts
Early 4000 series basses have nuts made of two slices of black Bakelite glued together side by side. The two pieces were probably guitar nut blanks combined to be thick enough to support bass strings. Some early bass nuts actually show a seam down the middle and on the sides like this example from 1963.
pic-1.jpg

The total thickness on the early examples is about 7/32” with a width of about 43mm. Later, the thickness was reduced to 3/16”. At some point the typical width went down to about 42mm. Current production is close to 43mm.

70's Vintage Bakelite Nut
pic-2.jpg
The width of the nut is not always the same as the with of the neck at the nut but it is very close. The original nut from my '63 sat slightly inboard of the neck binding and is about a millimeter short of the fingerboard width. On most later instruments there is no such difference.

The original Bakelite nut was a constant throughout the 60's. For two or three years in the early 70's white Delrin was used on most if not all 4000 basses. For some reason white Delrin was also used on the 4001V63. Vintage photos from the factory and other sources show that 60's basses had black (Bakelite) nuts making the choice of a white nut of the 4001V63 a bit of a mystery. Paul McCartney's bass received a white Delrin nut back in '75. I suppose the 4001V63 may have been emulating that look rather than trying to be historically accurate.

70's White Delrin Nut
pic-3-.jpg
Though apparently not a standard practice for the model, my '86 4003S/5 sports a cream colored Delrin nut. I have not seen it myself but some here feel that black Delrin was used on some instruments.

Cream Delrin Nut On An '86 4003S/5
pic-4.jpg

Rickenbacker nuts are unique in that they are taller than nuts from most other makers. This is entirely due to the fact that the fingerboard is 3/8” thick. Most “standard” nut blanks sold today are not tall enough to be used on Rickenbackers so many repair techs glue two smaller blanks together to get the proper height. This works but is not the most elegant way. Taller nut blanks are available with a little searching. I have found that steel guitar nut blanks are more than tall enough for the job. The easiest way to replace a Rickenbacker bass nut is to buy one from a Rickenbacker dealer and shape it to fit your instrument and tastes. Current production nuts will fit on most basses going back to the mid 60's with very little if any alteration.

The factory nut slot depth is typically more shallow than most players prefer. This is done on purpose to allow the player to cut it do the desired depth. If the slots on an older bass are cut too deeply there is a way out without having to replace the nut. Use a file to make some Bakelite dust from a trashed nut or a piece of black Bakelite. Pile the dust into the bottom of the nut slot to slightly above the desired level and add a drop of cyanoacrylate (Crazy Glue) and let it set. Once the glue has hardened use file to level it off then string up and test the height. Repeat if necessary.

As far as I know Delrin and Bakelite are the only standard nut materials. If any others were used please let me know and post them to this thread.
Last edited by rickfan60 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickfan60

Re: Anatomy Of A Rickenbacker Bass Part 8

Post by rickfan60 »

Truss Rod Covers

The Rickenbacker truss rod cover has become an icon for the brand and is probably the single most recognizable feature of modern era Rickenbacker instruments. The shape was created by John Hall's mother who cut the original out of paper. The shape echoes the contours of the German-style sound holes used on many hollow Rickenbacker guitars.

The typical Rickenbacker truss rod cover is fastened with three screws. One near the tip and two just above the nut. Some older examples had 4 screws with one being placed near the first “E”. The two screws above the nut on my '63 are fake. There are holes in the truss rod cover but none in the wood beneath . I can't explain it but that is how it was made. There are two basic types of truss rod cover on Rickenbacker basses - Plexiglas or molded plastic.

1963 Vintage Truss Rod Cover
pic-5-.jpg
Plexiglas Truss Rod Cover

The first truss rod covers used on Rickenbacker basses were made of clear 3/32” thick Plexiglas back-painted with the Rickenbacker logo in black then covered over with gold paint. By 1961 a white background became the standard. In the 70's a reverse option was offered that features white lettering on a black background. Black was usually but not always paired with a black pickguard. The text “Made in U.S.A” appears on most but not all Plexiglas truss rod covers. Some even feature the model name just above the nut. The size and shape of the truss rod cover varied a bit over the years with the early ones being the longest and the most pointy until the vintage reissue versions appeared in the 80's. A special version was made for the 75th Anniversary models by Paul Wilczynski. Instead of the standard silk screened logo they feature a laser cut lettering filled with silver paint.

75th Anniversary Truss Rod Cover
pic-6.jpg

Molded Truss Rod Cover

In about 1975 the Plexiglas truss rod cover for was replaced with a 3/32” thick molded version with raised letters. The molded truss rod cover was offered in white or black with contrasting lettering and usually paired with a color matching pickguard. The 4004C and 4004Cii feature a black cover with gold lettering. The new cover was made only for right-handed instruments. All left-handed Rickenbackers continued to be fitted with Plexiglas truss rod covers. Some covers are marked with the model number just below the “Made in U.S.A” stamp. This practice was discontinued by the mid 80's at which point the cover only showed the logo and country of origin. The molded covers are made of flexible plastic and are quite durable compared with their Plexi counterparts. Does anyone have a guess as to what kind of plastic is used to make them?

Except for some “trimmed” examples used on the 2000 series basses, the molded covers are all the same size. They measure exactly 5 15/16” in length and are 1 9/16” wide at the base.

White And Black Molded Truss Rod Covers
pic-7.jpg

At some point, sales of replacement truss rod covers became an issue for RIC . The company stopped selling replacements outright because of too many fakers wearing them. To curb this, RIC required that an old cover be surrendered when a replacement was ordered.

Some special versions of the molded cover exist. The Blackstar cover has pearlescent paint on the raised letters. Some 50th anniversary covers were made with special lettering set just below the logo.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Pickguards

Except for the 4002, all production Rickenbacker pickguards are made of acrylic sheet. Until being withdrawn from the market, this material was genuine Rohm and Haas Plexiglas. Although the name is used generically, Plexiglas is a registered trademark and all other similar material is just acrylic sheet. Originating in the late 20's, Plexiglas became a household name when Rohm and Haas began supplying plastics to the War Department in 1942. Many U.S. planes made during World War II featured windows and other parts made of the light-weight glass substitute. The famous ball turrets installed on B-17s and other bombers were made mostly of Plexiglas.

Plexiglas set a high standard for all acrylic sheet to follow. Unfortunately, spotty quality control of the current producers makes good acrylic sheet hard to find. John Hall said it has become like buying wood. Each sheet must be inspected. No assumptions of quality can be made. Some sheets are just too transparent or even have a swirly, milky appearance. Guards made from them would allow wiring and body routes to show through.

The 4000 series pickguard has subtly changed shape several times over the years. I am only aware the bigger changes. Others here can spot small changes in the curves and proportions. If you are one of those people, please share what you know below.

The first pickguards used on the 4000 series are the large, swoopy, here's George Jetson looking ones made from 1957 to 1961. These were mostly (if not all) clear Plexiglas back-painted in gold. Once again I pilfer a fine example from the Graham Griffiths collection. I can't help myself.

1959 Model 4000
pic-8.jpg

In 1961, Rickenbacker settled on the basic pickguard shape that would endure to the present. Some early ones hold the toaster a bit off center as does this one from 1963. This is just another variation from the early days.

1963 Pickguard
pic-9.jpg

Neck Pickup Spacing
From '61 to '75 the neck pickup was mounted at what is commonly called half inch spacing. It turns out that the actual distance is a bit more than that but a half inch is close enough. The spacing changed to 1 inch (also an approximation) sometime during 1975 putting the pickup right where the 24th fret would be. This move was intended to improve the sound of the instrument and was apparently not an attempt to address dead spots.

A Typical 1 Inch Spaced Pickguard
pic-10.jpg

Control Placement
The next big change occurred in about 1977 when the treble pickup controls were moved from being parallel to the bass pickup controls to a more oblique angle. I don't know why this change was made but it endured into the 90's when at some point the controls were moved back to their original parallel configuration. The exception was the 4001V63 which was apparently fitted with an old style pickguard from the start.

Two Piece Pickguards
Because the 4003 started off with the neck adjusters at the body end of the neck, Rickenbacker split the pickguard into two pieces. This allowed for “easier” access to the truss rod nuts. The separation of the guard runs across the narrow part just north of the selector switch. Lasting about 5 years, the two piece pickguard type was used until the truss adjusters moved back to the headstock in 1986. At that time the standard one piece guard returned to service.

Two Piece Pickguard from 1985
pic-11.jpg
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Special Pickguards

There are three notable instances where special guards were used on 4000 series basses. The 4001SC Chris Squire signature model has a special pickguard made of clear acrylic that is back-painted with Squire's signature on a white background. Also in the early 90's, some special 4004 models were created for RCA Records that feature gold back-painted guards with the RCA logo in black. In 2007, RIC produced the 75th Anniversary basses which feature special laser etched pickguards done by Paul Wilczynski. These guards are back-painted in gold and sport an anniversary logo just below the neck pickup.

75th Anniversary Pickguard
pic-12.jpg

The 4002

4002 pickguards are special in that they are 5 layer (bwbwb) ABS plastic with a beveled edge and not the standard acrylic. These guards are mounted away from the fingerboard allowing for a 21st fret and an unobstructed view of the wood grain. The pickups are mounted in a configuration similar to a Fender Jazz Bass.

4002 Pickguard
pic-13.jpg

4004 Models

While the 4004s do not have pickguards, they do have control cavity covers on the back.

Control Knobs

Rickenbackers have come with one of two basic types of black plastic control knobs. The first being the dome style with a white line pointer that was introduced with the 4001. The other type are the flat top knobs with brushed metal labels that indicate the function of the control. They are labeled Treble tone and volume and bass tone and volume. This style was introduced in about 1965 and remains the standard today. The dome knobs were factory installed on the vintage reissue models and some special editions.

Control Knobs
pic-14.jpg
pic-14b.jpg

Tug Bars

Tug bars are found on most 4000 series basses until 1972. These parts were made from clear Plexi and were mounted on the pickguard just below the treble pickup. The bottom side of the tug bar was bevel-cut to improve the grip. Similar material was used to make the sliders for the early 4000 mutes.

Replacement Plastic

Shapes and screw hole placements changed a bit from year to year making exact replacement guards difficult to find. The best way to replace a Rickenbacker pickguard is to contact Tony Dudzik at Pickguardian. Tony's work is second to none as his many delighted customers will attest. Tony also makes replacement tug bars for older basses or for those just wanting a more vintage look. Check out his website at pickguardian.com.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Again, excellent, Ted. I learned something I don't think you intended, too. I did not know the 4002 basses have 21 frets.

Anyway, another home run.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Another great lesson Ted!
While I dont have any pics of them there were a few 4000 basses from the mid 70s that had split guards as well.
I have seen one and owned another...
Who knows why they did it?
It's possibly worth mentioning that the treble pickup covers post 69ish are plastic too.. :mrgreen:
Eden.
Last edited by weemac on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, once again, great stuff!

The only other plastic I can think of, which I don't recall being covered before, would be the binding. Perhaps that will be covered in an upcoming segment...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
fretless

Post by fretless »

Cool !
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

weemac wrote:Another great lesson Ted!
While I dont have any pics of them there were a few 4000 basses from the mid 70s that had split guards as well.
I have seen one and owned another...
Who knows why they did it?
It's possibly worth mentioning that the treble pickup covers post 69ish are plastic too.. :mrgreen:
Eden.

Interesting indeed. I've never seen a split guard on a 70's bass. Hopefully someone can post a picture.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

cjj wrote:Yes, once again, great stuff!

The only other plastic I can think of, which I don't recall being covered before, would be the binding. Perhaps that will be covered in an upcoming segment...

That is coming up next. Good thing too! I need a short topic as there is not much time before the next one is due.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

rickfan60 wrote:
cjj wrote:Yes, once again, great stuff!

That is coming up next. Good thing too! I need a short topic as there is not much time before the next one is due.
Cool! I've always been interested in the time line, etc. for the different binding options!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

quoted.... "Also in the early 90's, some special 4004 models were created for RCA Records that feature gold back-painted guards with the RCA logo in black."

that's interesting,i do not recall ever seeing any pictures (or mention) of these before. if anyone has pictures,please post! thanks for another great thread!
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Woody, I've asked around many times for pictures and info on the RCA basses, and zilch so far. I've seen a couple of the RCA guitars, similar to the Laguna. I have one snapshot, apparently taken at the factory, of a special double-neck guitar/bass leftie for the then RCA honcho. I've never seen any other shots of this fabulous instrument:
Attachments
4004480 copy.jpg
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

What was the reason for doing the special RCA models?
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

rickfan60 wrote: at some point the controls were moved back to their original parallel configuration.
At which point the pickguard also developed "the hump" below the switch. Why? I never got an answer.

BTW, the 4003's pictured on rickenbacker.com have pre-hump guards.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”