Bassic Colors No. 2 – When you're a Jet(glo) . . . !

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Bassic Colors No. 2 – When you're a Jet(glo) . . . !

Post by bassduke49 »

Probably more Rickenbacker basses have been finished in Jetglo than any other color. It's one of RIC's "evergreen" colors – it's always been available. The classic Rick bass is the deluxe 4001 or 4003 in Jetglo, with white binding and plastic and chromed hardware. In the '80s, "BT" became available, standing for Black Trim which meant black binding and plastic and blackened hardware, so you could really go black with Jetglo BT.

Nearly every model of RIC bass has been available in Jetglo. Obviously, the first 4004C Cheyenne with its walnut body wings was not; no sense painting that in any color. When the 4004Cii came along, it became possible to have a Jetglo Cheyenne (below). The first listing of the companion 4004L Laredo was listed as "Jetglo only," but the next price list dropped this restriction.

Other special models would have been ineligible for Jetglo, namely the 4003SPC "Redneck" (all red) and "Tuxedo" (all white), but Jetglo fans were not left out. Hail the 4003SPC "Blackstar" (1988-89), with all Jetglo finish (even the fretboard), black plastic, and blackened hardware. Except for the curious chromed bridge-pickup cover, neck-pickup surround, and a bunch of screws, it was about as black as it gets. "None more black" comes immediately to mind.

Another special model was the "Shadow" (no numerical designation that I have found), made special for Guitar Center stores in 1986. Its Jetglo finish had checker-inside-black body binding, black plastic, blackened metalwork, and black dot position markers on the bubinga fretboard.

I've attached photos of my Blackstar and Shadow, and Joey Vasco's Jetglo Cii. So this week, let's post photos and have dark discussions about Jetglo!
Attachments
10_08Blackstarweb.jpg
10_08Shadowweb.jpg
Vasco4004CiiJGweb.jpg
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
bassduke49

Re: Bassic Colors No. 2 – When you're a Jet(glo) . . . !

Post by bassduke49 »

Here's another beauty: A 4003FLBT (fretless black trim) in Jetglo. I owned this briefly after buying it on eBay from a player in Chicago, then sold it to Jared Nakanishi a few years ago.
Attachments
FretlessJetgloweb.jpg
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

bassduke49 wrote:... In the '80s, "BT" became available, standing for Black Trim which meant black binding and plastic and blackened hardware, so you could really go black with Jetglo BT.
I believe there was a distinction between BT and BH (black hardware) meaning that it was possible to get black binding and plastic but chrome hardware. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

CJ, my price lists mention "reversal of binding, pickguard, and nameplate color" for extra charge from 6/15/1976 up to 1985. Then the 5/19/86 price list says "reversal of hardware, binding, nameplate, and pickguard color." That stays the same through 2001. In no cases do the price lists separate the blackened hardware from the binding/pickguard/nameplate. I don't have a complete collection of price lists (several missing including 2002 through 2004), but I doubt there was any separation there. I believe BT was discontinued after 2002, and is not mentioned in the 2005 price list. Of course, it's possible that some instruments may have been completed with mixed BT/WT-chrome parts, but they would likely be ordered special that way or parts were exchanged post purchase.

Of course, some basses, notably the white 4001, were made with black binding on the body, white binding on the neck, black plastic, and chrome hardware. As seen above, the black binding and plastic was an option before the arrival of blackened hardware, but once BH arrived, it was accompanying the BT option; at least on the price lists, anyway. But, the only absolute about RIC bass features is that there are no absolutes!
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Near to 20 years that I have this bass now

68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

bassduke49 wrote:CJ, my price lists mention "reversal of binding, pickguard, and nameplate color" for extra charge from 6/15/1976 up to 1985. Then the 5/19/86 price list says "reversal of hardware, binding, nameplate, and pickguard color." That stays the same through 2001. In no cases do the price lists separate the blackened hardware from the binding/pickguard/nameplate. I don't have a complete collection of price lists (several missing including 2002 through 2004), but I doubt there was any separation there. I believe BT was discontinued after 2002, and is not mentioned in the 2005 price list. Of course, it's possible that some instruments may have been completed with mixed BT/WT-chrome parts, but they would likely be ordered special that way or parts were exchanged post purchase.

Of course, some basses, notably the white 4001, were made with black binding on the body, white binding on the neck, black plastic, and chrome hardware. As seen above, the black binding and plastic was an option before the arrival of blackened hardware, but once BH arrived, it was accompanying the BT option; at least on the price lists, anyway. But, the only absolute about RIC bass features is that there are no absolutes!
That's what I was meaning, initially you could get, as we call it, "Black Trim", the black plastic and binding with chrome hardware, then it became BT BH, trim and black hardware...

Of course, there are the other oddities such as that Jetglow with black binding and the thin "pinstripe" of white...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

berth wrote:Near to 20 years that I have this bass now

Looks like it needs a haircut.
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My first Rick and my first JG!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My latest happens to also be JG!
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

I have finally accumulated enough pickup mounting rings to get powder coated in black and not muss with the original rings. Just completing the "Pretty Frekin' Black" look, since I can't be None More Black. :wink:
darkday-002.jpg
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

My one and only JG:
Attachments
V63_Flowers.jpg
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
ram

Post by ram »

Also too my only JG
12.jpg
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

ram wrote:Also too my only JG
12.jpg
A 4004 Potatohead 8, my favourite mod.... :D
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

At some point it will return to me as a heavily modified 5-er but for most of it's life with me it looked like this.....

hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

^ none more blackened! :twisted:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”