The 21 Fret 4001 Basses Thread

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jai_the_bass

Re: The 21 Fret 4001 Basses Thread

Post by jai_the_bass »

henry5 wrote:Hi Kevin,

You did what I was too afraid to at the time. The front looked so stunning I couldn't bring myself to have it refinished, especially with it being so rare, plus of course I had other issues with it which I wasn't sure would be resolved anyway, although they may have been helped if it had been stripped and the bridge moved, amongst other things.

I have to say the choice of colour is fabulous. Personally I'd have left the toaster - I prefer them - but the back pickup was very low powered, even for me, so I imagine that change could only be an improvement. Good call and glad you're happy with it. Hope you'll post more pictures!
It needed doing Shaun. If the back had been anywhere near as nice as the front I wouldn't have done anything with the colour. The action would still be too high for you I think, although sending it for the full treatment has made it much more playable in my opinion. I've still kept the old pickups so could drop the toaster back in if needed. Here's a couple of the bass still on the table at the restorers (Guitarlodge in Felixstowe - well impressed too)
!cid_33CE3081E74A4954A742560BB115936A@PlanetfallPC.jpg
!cid_B8D3F68542D04A35ABE6FB6418AD8297@PlanetfallPC.jpg
Can we have a bit more talent in the monitors please.....?
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

jai_the_bass wrote:
henry5 wrote:Hi Kevin,

You did what I was too afraid to at the time. The front looked so stunning I couldn't bring myself to have it refinished, especially with it being so rare, plus of course I had other issues with it which I wasn't sure would be resolved anyway, although they may have been helped if it had been stripped and the bridge moved, amongst other things.

I have to say the choice of colour is fabulous. Personally I'd have left the toaster - I prefer them - but the back pickup was very low powered, even for me, so I imagine that change could only be an improvement. Good call and glad you're happy with it. Hope you'll post more pictures!
It needed doing Shaun. If the back had been anywhere near as nice as the front I wouldn't have done anything with the colour. The action would still be too high for you I think, although sending it for the full treatment has made it much more playable in my opinion. I've still kept the old pickups so could drop the toaster back in if needed. Here's a couple of the bass still on the table at the restorers (Guitarlodge in Felixstowe - well impressed too)
!cid_33CE3081E74A4954A742560BB115936A@PlanetfallPC.jpg
!cid_B8D3F68542D04A35ABE6FB6418AD8297@PlanetfallPC.jpg
It looks gorgeous Kevin. Nearly bought a BRG 4003 a while back and then some unexpected expenses nipped that in the bud. it's a fantastic colour that looks wonderful with the vintage features.

Did you have it refretted as well?
jai_the_bass

Post by jai_the_bass »

henry5 wrote:
It looks gorgeous Kevin. Nearly bought a BRG 4003 a while back and then some unexpected expenses nipped that in the bud. it's a fantastic colour that looks wonderful with the vintage features.

Did you have it refretted as well?
I didn't Shaun, they were/are still in pretty good condition.
That may change now as it feels and sounds better than ever :lol:
It was the look of the BRG release that finally made up my mind on the refin colour. Like you I just loved the look
Can we have a bit more talent in the monitors please.....?
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

New 21 fretter (at least, not yet in the register) found in the Facebook group Rickenbacker Bass Guitars. The happy owner bought it for $500...
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
Mop'n'glo

Post by Mop'n'glo »

After he was told that it was already promised to another buyer -who would be picking it up- for $450, so he upped his offer to... a paltry $475 (ballsy move, given that he knew its worth)!!

That's my dream bass (well, I dream in color, and the actual bass of my dreams appears to be fireglo, but... close enough!). Had I seen it for that price -or triple- I'd have dropped everything, and scrambled over there, especially as it was still visible on Facebook Marketplace, and that the seller would certainly be inundated with other offers.
Just glad that it wasn't local to me - I'd never stop kicking myself!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Perhaps this was posted before, but -- little known (or recognized) fact: in the 1968 RIC catalog, all the then available basses -- models 4000, 4001, 4005 -- are listed as having 21 frets.
John Hall confirmed this was an error.
See middle of the graph in lower right corner.
Rick Basses 1968 Catalog.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”