Help this young pup define his goal.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: Help this young pup define his goal.

Post by bassduke49 »

Great thread resurrection! Of course, the OP "young pup" is probably raising his own "young pups" by now!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

The Swing Bass Roto 66 strings sound great, but not for long, they go dead fast. Personally, I like D'Addario Stainless rounds, but opinions vary hugely on strings. I'll second the notion of getting a 4003 over a 4001. I think the new basses are just better made overall, and the push/pull pot gives you some more tone options. Some of the newer models have had finish problems, but that seems to happen right away or not at all, so a 2-3 year old bass in good condition might be the "sweet spot" of affordability. The S models are a little cheaper, and more comfortable for many without the binding. Getting a real Squire tone is elusive, like any recorded sound. Good luck and have fun.
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

Hey everyone! I haven’t even logged in for a couple of years, and just thought I’d touch base! I picked up a new 4003S in Mapleglo in November of 2017 and am still very happy with it. I did have the output rewired for stereo, and replaced the stock bridge with the chromed brass Hipshot bridge (I never used the mute and the thumb screws got in the way of my picking hand.) I am about to sell my Ampeg PF500 and Acoustic 4X10 and pick up a Line 6 Helix since I run just about everything direct these days, and shoot for a tone closer to Siberian Khatru than Yours is No Disgrace, with a touch more low end on the neck signal. I still use Rotosound Swing 66 strings and just change them before any recording or performance. Sadly, I no longer play bass in a band as the vast bulk of my time and energy goes into being a frontman/flautist/guitarist in a prog rock band. But I’m starting to write some solo stuff and am excited for the opportunity to play the Ric again! So I guess I just wanted to let you know that the goal was defined and reached as well as I need to for now. Someday I might splurge and get an early V63 and add the capacitor and stereo output, but the difference is negligible enough to not be worth the cost right now.
Attachments
949BFA44-5CFA-4148-9B51-03AD5C71BA51.jpeg
Bass guitarist, flautist, guitarist, and vocalist
amalgameffect.bandcamp.com
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
PRS SE Santana (w/piezo) Electric Guitar
Taylor GC3 Acoustic Guitar
Powell Silhouette Flute
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

what an amazing thread

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”