Help this young pup define his goal.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Re: Help this young pup define his goal.

Post by coolingitdown »

+1 on Wildwood if you're anywhere near Louisville, CO. I've never been, but i bought my c64 from them via email and it was a great experience. they have brand new 4003s and c64s in stock. Try them both out. See what you think.
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Mat I didn't realize you were in Colorado. Maybe next time I have a rehearsal I can let you try a couple of Rics, if you're in the Denver region that is. You could probably have a half hour right before or after the band gets started.

Wildwood Guitars is great. I have probably played 15 Rics there by now... ashamed to say I have never given them a dime except through a couple referred/assisted sales... they are so nice to me, it's probably the best music store I've ever visited.
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

I've been to Wildwood once, it's a bit of a treck. I got to play the only 4004 I've had the opportunity to try there, they didn't have any of the ones I was really interested in on the showroom floor, but I'll have to try again soon.
cassius987 wrote:Mat I didn't realize you were in Colorado. Maybe next time I have a rehearsal I can let you try a couple of Rics, if you're in the Denver region that is. You could probably have a half hour right before or after the band gets started.

Wildwood Guitars is great. I have probably played 15 Rics there by now... ashamed to say I have never given them a dime except through a couple referred/assisted sales... they are so nice to me, it's probably the best music store I've ever visited.
That would be awesome. I live in Edgewater (approx 20th and Shridan). PM me and maybe we can set something up.
Bass guitarist, flautist, guitarist, and vocalist
amalgameffect.bandcamp.com
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
PRS SE Santana (w/piezo) Electric Guitar
Taylor GC3 Acoustic Guitar
Powell Silhouette Flute
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Mat should know that the V63 does not have the 0047 cap. To my knowledge none of the V63s do. My 99 V63 just doesn't make a Squire or Lee sound very well. It sounds like a Ric bass to be sure, but it just does not sound like a CS model for instance. Mark
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

ricmic wrote:Mat should know that the V63 does not have the 0047 cap. To my knowledge none of the V63s do. My 99 V63 just doesn't make a Squire or Lee sound very well. It sounds like a Ric bass to be sure, but it just does not sound like a CS model for instance. Mark
One of my V63s has the cap. Of course I added it.... :twisted:
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

What exactly does the Capacitor do?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:
ricmic wrote:Mat should know that the V63 does not have the 0047 cap. To my knowledge none of the V63s do. My 99 V63 just doesn't make a Squire or Lee sound very well. It sounds like a Ric bass to be sure, but it just does not sound like a CS model for instance. Mark
Same here, and a magnetic HS pickup to go with the cap. 8)
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

IvanMunoz wrote:What exactly does the Capacitor do?
It essentially boosts the highs in exchange for a slightly lower output if I understand correctly. Essential to the vintage Ric tone, provides the "snarl" that all the 4003s I've played seem to be missing (never played one made after 2006).
jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:
Same here, and a magnetic HS pickup to go with the cap. 8)
I wasn't aware that the V63s lacked the cap. But from what I understand it's a pretty easy mod, right? Not nearly as difficult as re-wiring for stereo, right? (Which BTW, is something I'd want to do to any mono output Ric, EQ the neck amp for ribcage-rattling bass and the bridge amp for that cutting Squire-esque snarl). And I'd be happy with the RIHS, from what I heard the true vintage one come with all sorts of magnetic problems in the horseshoes themselves, not to mention I'm sure they can't be easy to find. I just like their look, as long as I can get a good tone without a huge headache in technical difficulties.
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
Powell Silhouette Flute
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

Do the C64s have the cap?
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

IvanMunoz wrote:Do the C64s have the cap?
Yes, it does.
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

SquireFan91 wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:What exactly does the Capacitor do?
It essentially boosts the highs in exchange for a slightly lower output if I understand correctly. Essential to the vintage Ric tone, provides the "snarl" that all the 4003s I've played seem to be missing (never played one made after 2006).
The cap blocks the lower frequencies and passes the higher frequencies - combined with the volume pot it forms a cutoff filter.

The C64/C64S has the cap.
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Post by VRICKY63 »

Since you have small hands/fingers. I think a mid 70s 4001 would be more comfortable than the newer wide neck 4003 models and the tone you're looking for is built in and ready to go.
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Rick, I think you are onto something there. Mark
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

Post by coolingitdown »

SquireFan91 wrote: Which BTW, is something I'd want to do to any mono output Ric, EQ the neck amp for ribcage-rattling bass and the bridge amp for that cutting Squire-esque snarl.
I've done this on my 4003 with RIC-o-sound. Quite good!

I had the neck pickup running a 600 watt, dual-amp head with a crossover. Mids went to 2x10s, lows went to 1x15. The bridge pickup (cap engaged) went to a keyboard amp, bass eq off, mids about 60% or so, HIs about 80% or so. I had effects running through the bridge pickup, so i could have fuzz or chorus on top with a clean fundamental. I definitely recommend it!
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
SquireFan91

Post by SquireFan91 »

VRICKY63 wrote:Since you have small hands/fingers. I think a mid 70s 4001 would be more comfortable than the newer wide neck 4003 models and the tone you're looking for is built in and ready to go.
Definitely something to consider. I've played a relatively new 4004 and the neck was certainly workable being as flat as it was. Even the couple of 4003s I've played have been playable, but if I can find a mid 70s bass that I might get the chance to test drive and wouldn't cost an arm, a leg and the life of my (hypothetical) firstborn, I'll entertain it as an option. Though I've leaning toward newer basses because it seems like they maintain more easily.
Rickenbacker 4003S Bass
Powell Silhouette Flute

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”