Moonie Man

Re: 4001C64 pickguard

Post by Moonie Man »

For your reference:
Attachments
DSCN1391.JPG
DSCN1390.JPG
DSCN1389.JPG
2009 Rickenbacker RM1999 Reissue Ltd Edition.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Moonie Man wrote:I am pleased if a help was able to be given to you, Tom.

Thanks, Jeffrey,

That pickguard was made by Pickguardian by my custom ordering.
I bought that Ric RM1999 reissue bass new but I dislike Ric factory pickguard fitted on because it was not perfect shape and it used material different to '60s Ric original. Cutting was not precise to original detailing, especially in front pickup cutout was too large and awkward.
So, I was not satisfied in the Ric factory production then I remade it to right authentic detailing.
And at the same time, I detached the Finger Rest it is I don't need it anytime and I used slot head screws for fixing the pickguard as like an original '60s.
Koji, that is how a pickguard should be shaped. It follows the edge of the bass very gracefully.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Moonie Man wrote:For your reference:
I do that with the Dunlop Strap Locs. :)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

johnallg wrote:
Moonie Man wrote:For your reference:
I do that with the Dunlop Strap Locs. :)
Me too!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
bobbolux

Post by bobbolux »

Moonie Man wrote:I am pleased if a help was able to be given to you, Tom.

Thanks, Jeffrey,

That pickguard was made by Pickguardian by my custom ordering.
I bought that Ric RM1999 reissue bass new but I dislike Ric factory pickguard fitted on because it was not perfect shape and it used material different to '60s Ric original. Cutting was not precise to original detailing, especially in front pickup cutout was too large and awkward.
So, I was not satisfied in the Ric factory production then I remade it to right authentic detailing.
And at the same time, I detached the Finger Rest it is I don't need it anytime and I used slot head screws for fixing the pickguard as like an original '60s.
damn, that is a beautiful bass.
+1 for Tony/Pickguardian
gerryb

Post by gerryb »

I've been looking high and low for something like this -- thanks! Any critical dimensions you'd like to share? Sorry I'm late finding this thread.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome back, Gerry! 8)
gerryb

Post by gerryb »

Why thank you, Jeffrey! I've been lurking a bit, but RRF is becoming a favorite haunt for me. I see the critical dimensions are included already.....feel kinda silly now :oops:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

gerryb wrote:Why thank you, Jeffrey! I've been lurking a bit, but RRF is becoming a favorite haunt for me. I see the critical dimensions are included already.....feel kinda silly now :oops:
Eh, we won't make fun of you for that bone-headed mistake. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Welcome back.
sounderstudios

Post by sounderstudios »

When did they stop using the larger pickguards that covered the body down to the chrome treble pickup cover?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

sounderstudios wrote:When did they stop using the larger pickguards that covered the body down to the chrome treble pickup cover?
Probably sometime in 1969 or 1970, or it could have been about the time when they switched from the genuine magnetic Horseshoe treble pickup to the High-gain pickup, starting sometime in 1968. Now understand the "vintage" (really recently-built look-alikes) come with the old-style pick guards. If you have one you don't like, you can always get one the shape and color you need from Pickguardian. :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”