Horseshoe pickup magnetization experiment

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Horseshoe pickup magnetization experiment

Post by cjj »

johnallg wrote:Now THAT is funny. Actually it was Paint with a lousy mouse.
Yeah, right! Good attempt at a save now that we told you that Etch-A-Sketch isn't really a computer...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Hey, if I'd done it on an Etch-A-Sketch, it would have looked like this:

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

Hilarious stuff guys!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

ram wrote:So now as to why the sound changes with the heavy mag influence... I would think the C of the shoe would be relatively the same magnetic charge all around. So does this mean that the more powerful the magnet, the more the highs are suppressed? is this something similar to the effect that water has on light - as one gets deeper (and more dense) bandwidths are filtered out?
That appears to be the case - referring back to the video and experimenting a little more, I noticed that the highs fade out a bit as the mids & low become enhanced by the stronger magnetic pull. This may be part of the reason why the RI horseshoe pickups sound more midrangey & bassey compared to the more trebley sound of the original HS pickups - besides the coils being wound hotter, those alnico magnets may have a stronger pull, too. It would be interesting to get a gauss meter on both pickups and see how they read. Better put my order in from Stew/Mac!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

I also noticed that since the experiment, the E/A horseshoe magnet DID lose a lot of pull - probably as a result of the extended exposure to the magnets turned to the reverse polarity side. It indeed messed up that horseshoe magnet, but once I exposed that same horseshoe to those magnets with the polarity matching for a few hours, it was good as new again. And I think I've found my method for recharging. Those magnet blocks are pretty common. I think I picked them up at a hardware store. It seems to be effective without even having to take the pickup out of the bass.
PJRL

Post by PJRL »

So we have tone control, vol control, and now Magnet control. :mrgreen:

Very cool !

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”