Book milepost

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: Book milepost

Post by bassduke49 »

Whoosh! There it goes. Hal Leonard/Backbeat Books, you have mail!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Make it so.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Aye aye, captain!

Engage!

(Picard's favorite model railroading scale) :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

That has to be really rewarding, Paul. Literally years in the making. Looking forward to the release. and congrats on achieving one milestone to publication.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Heard from the publisher today. They got the manuscript, but will be a couple of weeks before they can finish going through it.

Finished the reconstruction of the first chapter (Model 4000) a couple of nights ago, and with the help of new shots from Tony Matura and Graham Griffiths, the piece looks better than ever! Spent most of today retouching an important photo that will be added to the 4001 chapter (Chapter 2): It took me years to get this shot from Rock Stars Guitars, and when they finally sent it, they had cropped it too close on the right edge so that the top half of the crested wave on the headstock was missing. It was also shot on what appeared to be a blotchy concrete floor. I wiped out all of the background (making it a "blockout") and cloned the missing chunk of the headstock. Honestly, I don't know where I would be without Photoshop. This will be spread across two pages in the book. It's Stu Cook's 4001 that was featured on CCR's "Bayou Country" album cover. Notice the custom mounting plate for a "jazz pickup."
Cookbeforeweb.jpg
Cookblockoutweb.jpg
teeder

Post by teeder »

Looks good! Wasn't that bass for sale a few years ago?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Yes, and I don't know if it sold. I was interested in getting the photo so never followed up on what happened to it.
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

Sounds good Paul. Looking forward to my copy :wink:
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

bassduke49 wrote:I hope to have a finished book proof in October to possibly have John Hall do a fact check and to have the publisher (Hal Leonard/Backbeat Books) check that I've assembled it properly to go to press.
Not sure why you think I know the facts! Actually, one reason I've not been motivated to write one of my own is the number of people that think they know the various stories better than I do.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

johnhall wrote:
bassduke49 wrote:I hope to have a finished book proof in October to possibly have John Hall do a fact check and to have the publisher (Hal Leonard/Backbeat Books) check that I've assembled it properly to go to press.
Not sure why you think I know the facts! Actually, one reason I've not been motivated to write one of my own is the number of people that think they know the various stories better than I do.

Oh great! NOW you tell me! :lol:

I think you'll be able to clarify any misinformation that may have worked its way into the book. One of the reasons I'm doing the book is to sort fact from fiction (or is it friction?) about the instruments. There's very few "stories" in the book anyway, but there may be some statistics you'll be able to either verify or make a little more solid.

The publisher (Hal Leonard/Backbeat Books) has just requested some tweaks to the cover and want me to send them an updated version for inclusion in their upcoming catalog! This will make it even more "official."
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bassduke49 wrote:The publisher (Hal Leonard/Backbeat Books) has just requested some tweaks to the cover and want me to send them an updated version for inclusion in their upcoming catalog! This will make it even more "official."
That's really good news.
T28

Post by T28 »

Like so many others, I can't wait to get my copy!
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

paul...have you seen the squire fotos in the going for the one tour program ? 2 nice settings with the 4001/8. by nigel luby and james merrell.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”