how many 4002 fl were made

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: how many 4002 fl were made

Post by iiipopes »

ilan wrote:
iiipopes wrote:only the bridge pickup is in relatively the same place as a Fender Jazz. The neck pickup is more where a P-bass pickup is
Even better.
Indeed.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I have a laredo that was modified,with the pickups relocated to 4002 spec. Of course it has the hb1's,not the 4002 pickups,and also the ABM bridge instead of the standard 4001/2/3 unit,and no ebony fretboard....but the point is you can get pretty close to the 4002 sound with the pickups moved. I had an '83 walnut 4002 for about 11 years,so i have a pretty good point of reference for the comparison.....
Another chance for me to wish for a fretless cii in public..... 8)
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

woodyng wrote:but the point is you can get pretty close to the 4002 sound with the pickups moved. I had an '83 walnut 4002 for about 11 years,so i have a pretty good point of reference for the comparison
Excellent. And a possible cheaper way to do it without a re-top job or even a refin could be to install a mudbucker in the front pickup route just to cover it...
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Very interesting thread! 8)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Zombie alert: to follow up on my posts 8 years ago, and as I stated in another thread recently, after years of contemplation I would like to modify my earlier posts, because I now think the pickup positions on a 4002 were derived from a J-bass. If you move the bridge on a J-bass up 3/8 inch and the nut down 3/8 inch to take into account the difference in the scale lengths between the two basses, the centers of the pickups between a J-bass and a 4002 line up.
Welcome to the Machine Cropped TubeNet.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

woodyng wrote:I have a laredo that was modified,with the pickups relocated to 4002 spec. Of course it has the hb1's,not the 4002 pickups,and also the ABM bridge instead of the standard 4001/2/3 unit,and no ebony fretboard....but the point is you can get pretty close to the 4002 sound with the pickups moved. I had an '83 walnut 4002 for about 11 years,so i have a pretty good point of reference for the comparison.....
Another chance for me to wish for a fretless cii in public..... 8)
Woody, how about a few photos?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iiipopes wrote:Zombie alert: to follow up on my posts 8 years ago, and as I stated in another thread recently, after years of contemplation I would like to modify my earlier posts, because I now think the pickup positions on a 4002 were derived from a J-bass. If you move the bridge on a J-bass up 3/8 inch and the nut down 3/8 inch to take into account the difference in the scale lengths between the two basses, the centers of the pickups between a J-bass and a 4002 line up.
Welcome to the Machine Cropped TubeNet.jpg
Scott, it is interesting what 8 years of reflection and additional life experience can do. Now to track down the evidence.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
morrow

Post by morrow »

I remember when Ginger got her bass . Never though about it being rare or unusual . Later a natural 4002 came up for sale at Gigstreet , our local vintage shop . $1200 , I passed because I thought I already had all the Ric I could want . One of my few regrets .

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”