how many 4002 fl were made

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ginger_lee

how many 4002 fl were made

Post by ginger_lee »

simple..i dont want opinions on my gender identity..my birth defect..i just want an answer to a simple question..thats all..k?
bassduke49

Re: how many 4002 fl were made

Post by bassduke49 »

Umm . . . well, we know of yours and . . . didn't you say that there were two in the Register? Since RIC doesn't release production figures (except for stated certified limited editions), there's no telling. Just guessing there were maybe a few hundred 4002 made in total, and fretless would have been a special order as the only fretless models in standard price sheets and catalogs are the 4001FL and 4003FL. Making a fretless from any model is a cinch; just use an uncut fingerboard and adjust the nut. Position markers have been done a couple of ways I understand, so there's that. In my book, I don't treat fretless basses as separate models, but as an optional feature. I do it this way as I have photos of fretless 3001, 4000, 4001S, 4002, and 4003S basses with what appear to be factory fretless fingerboards. None of those models were ever listed as available in price sheets or catalogs. Who knows; there may even be factory fretless 4005 and 4004 basses out there that we haven't uncovered!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
ginger_lee

Post by ginger_lee »

i'd heard from john hall a couple years back where he thought not more than 50 or so 4002 total..and only 3 were fretless..theres one other besides mine on the registry..im just curious as to what the numbers were..ive seen mine refered to as a one of..then there were three..then there was 2..or 5 or 4 etc..i know shes rare ..kinda like like to know a number is all...thank you so much Paul..i am positiovely so honoured she made it into your book..its definatly gonna be a coffee table book..my only one :)
ginger_lee

Post by ginger_lee »

ohhh and id like a 4005 fretless as well ..i dont play fretted..as jaco said..i dont like speed bumps and training wheels lol;;and the 4002 is getting really heavy sometimes..specially in 4 in heels
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have played one, converted, 4005 fretless; the tone was great 8) but I do have a bit of partiality to the breed, however, the neck was severely bowed on this specific 4005 due to the usual mistreatment of the truss rods :evil: so I can't say much regarding the feel of the instrument. Going by the tone of the two different 4004 series basses I have owned/own and others I have played it too would be an ideal platform for a fretless model. This is something I may consider down the road.
BobHyde

Post by BobHyde »

ginger_lee wrote:ohhh and id like a 4005 fretless as well ..i dont play fretted..as jaco said..i dont like speed bumps and training wheels lol;;and the 4002 is getting really heavy sometimes..specially in 4 in heels
There's the infamous fretless 4005 shell perpetually on eBay...
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

BobHyde wrote:
ginger_lee wrote:ohhh and id like a 4005 fretless as well ..i dont play fretted..as jaco said..i dont like speed bumps and training wheels lol;;and the 4002 is getting really heavy sometimes..specially in 4 in heels
There's the infamous fretless 4005 shell perpetually on eBay...
I'm a little surprised no one's bought that just to have Paul W. work his magic on it... but then again the amount of magic needed for that bass may include human sacrifice :lol: :lol: :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Another forum member mentioned a while back that he also had a 4002FL:
w3stoner wrote:Yep, mine and Ginger's are the only ones I've heard of.
all I got out of john hall when I emailed him back in 2001 was that the
4002s.. were as rare as hens teeth. He, and Rickenbacker had no real
numbers aside from 200 or so for thea run of 4002sthe and no specific
numbers for fretless versions... sigh...

When I bought it I was looking for a 4005 but couldn't find one at a price / year
that I was willing to pay. But stumbled across the 4002FL along the way and well, the search
was over ;-)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ginger_lee

Post by ginger_lee »

cjj wrote:Another forum member mentioned a while back that he also had a 4002FL:
w3stoner wrote:Yep, mine and Ginger's are the only ones I've heard of.
all I got out of john hall when I emailed him back in 2001 was that the
4002s.. were as rare as hens teeth. He, and Rickenbacker had no real
numbers aside from 200 or so for thea run of 4002sthe and no specific
numbers for fretless versions... sigh...

When I bought it I was looking for a 4005 but couldn't find one at a price / year
that I was willing to pay. But stumbled across the 4002FL along the way and well, the search
was over ;-)
ahh k cool...so around 200 period...and not very many were fretless..you'd think it wouldnt be so difficult to find out,as far as i know they were made to order...ummm...so why cant someone know how many were ordered fretless..as how many were maple or walnut etc..shouldnt be such a mystery you'd think
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, it's possible that Mr. Hall at RIC could dig through all of the records and come up with the numbers, but I suspect he has better things to spend his time on...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
ginger_lee

Post by ginger_lee »

that is true...ok thank you everyone..it really doesnt matter that much in the end anyways..i had no idea she was anything other than the rick i wanted in the beginning..still is..i dont really care come to think of it if theres 5 or 5000 lol
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Ginger's fretless sound is awesome and very different from what I got with the only fretless 4003 I tried (last week, through a magnificent vintage SVT). So my conclusion is that it's the pickup placement (same as a Fender Jazz) and ebony fingerboard.

So I think a good project would be to take a 4003 husk (they come up on eBay from time to time) and mod it to a 4002FL. Re-top to cover the neck pickup route, then route for 4002 pickup layout, replace the fretboard with an ebony fretless fingerboard, etc. A project that a good luthier that specializes in Rics can take.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

ilan wrote:Ginger's fretless sound is awesome and very different from what I got with the only fretless 4003 I tried (last week, through a magnificent vintage SVT). So my conclusion is that it's the pickup placement (same as a Fender Jazz) and ebony fingerboard.
Actually, only the bridge pickup is in relatively the same place as a Fender Jazz. The neck pickup is more where a P-bass pickup is, just slightly south of where a J-bass neck pickup is. But with the two end-to-end coils, the 4002 humbucker, placed where it is, sounds like a cross between a P and a J and a Ric.
ginger_lee

Post by ginger_lee »

i play in front of the bridge a lot especially to solo...i also use round wounds..and raise the nut to facillitate more of a cello or upright action...hard to play till you get the hand strength up if your not used to upright..but makes left hand muting easier and gives a real vibrato touch and attack..i like the look on peoples faces when i fly around on the 4002..then they play it and it turns quickly to horror lmao
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

iiipopes wrote:only the bridge pickup is in relatively the same place as a Fender Jazz. The neck pickup is more where a P-bass pickup is
Even better.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”