Ric-o-Sound Cable Question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

greg90

Ric-o-Sound Cable Question

Post by greg90 »

Hi,

I have a question about the Ric-o-Sound on my new 4003. I bought a split stereo cable since I own two power heads. However, when it arrived it wasn't quite what I thought I was ordering.

It's described as: Modern Mixing consoles use insert jacks that allow you to break into the signal path to add an outboard signal processor (reverbs, delays, compressors, etc.) using just one cable, which connects to both the input and output of that device. The Hosa cable STP202 TRS To Dual 1/4-Inch insert cable connects to your mixer's insert jack (with the TRS end) and the input and output of your signal processor on the other end (with 1/4-Inch phone jacks).

There is a wiring diagram here: http://www.pulseonline.com/hosa/STP_wiring.jpg.

My assumption is that they're just marketing it for a certain use and this is wired liked any other split cable and will work perfectly fine with the Ric-O-Sound where it's outputting on both channels. But, I thought I would make sure before I plug my guitar in. I would also assume in the worst case it just won't work and won't mess anything but I figured I would double check that too. $2000 is a lot of money on a guitar to experiment with it. :)

Thanks in advance.
DriftSpace

Re: Ric-o-Sound Cable Question

Post by DriftSpace »

Welcome to the forum, Greg!
greg90 wrote:My assumption is that they're just marketing it for a certain use and this is wired liked any other split cable and will work perfectly fine with the Ric-O-Sound where it's outputting on both channels.
Yes, this is the correct kind of cable for your Ric-O-Sound jack. Some people buy TRS cables with the split ends as two female mono ends so that they can use their existing guitar cables, like this:

However, yours will work fine if it's long enough to reach both amp inputs.
Last edited by DriftSpace on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Just be sure to plug the stereo (TRS) end into the Rick-O-Sound jack. Do not plug the two mono plugs into the two outputs on your bass (It won't hurt anything, it just won't work). You'd be surprised how many people do it the wrong way round...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
greg90

Post by greg90 »

DriftSpace wrote:Welcome to the forum, Greg!
greg90 wrote:My assumption is that they're just marketing it for a certain use and this is wired liked any other split cable and will work perfectly fine with the Ric-O-Sound where it's outputting on both channels.
Yes, this is the correct kind of cable for your Ric-O-Sound jack. Some people buy TRS cables with the split ends as two female mono ends so that they can use their existing guitar cables, like this:

However, yours will work fine if it's long enough to reach both amp inputs.
Thanks, that's actually really good advice. Why didn't I think of just getting a short cable with two female ends! >.< Oh well, if I ever find myself using Ric-O-Sound more frequently I can do that.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I use a long stereo cable and an adapter that has a stereo female to 2 mono plugs. Only a single cable out to the instrument then...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

cjj wrote:I use a long stereo cable and an adapter that has a stereo female to 2 mono plugs. Only a single cable out to the instrument then...
Good move there CJ. Although I don't currently use RoS, last time I did back in '75, I found two trailing cables to be an encumbrance and once, when I forgot to route the cables in between the body of my old 4001 and the strap, the weight of both cables caused them to dis-lodge from the jack socket so I lost sound! That was an important lesson. :lol: :oops:

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

cjj wrote:I use a long stereo cable and an adapter that has a stereo female to 2 mono plugs. Only a single cable out to the instrument then...
Good move there CJ. Although I don't currently use RoS, last time I did back in '75, I found two trailing cables to be an encumbrance and once, when I forgot to route the cables in between the body of my old 4001 and the strap, the weight of both cables caused them to dis-lodge from the jack socket so I lost sound! That was an important lesson. :lol: :oops:

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Of course, using an "off the shelf" splitter cable, the 2 mono ends are fairly short so you have to have your amps close together (or use mono female to male extensions). I use 2 SansAmps in a rack so the length isn't a problem.

Actually, these days I use a custom rack mounted splitter/switcher so I just plug the single stereo cable into that...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cjj wrote:Actually, these days I use a custom rack mounted splitter/switcher so I just plug the single stereo cable into that...
Yeah, we heard some rumors about that; when is it coming to market? Will we be able to buy it at our local Guitard Center :twisted:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”