Who's still waiting on a 4003S?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Boogie

Re: Who's still waiting on a 4003S?

Post by Boogie »

Thanks, Paul. I feel better now. :D

The finish on back of the lower bout is a bit rough around the edge. Again, when I run my hand around the bass, that area just feels different. Maybe I could buff that area with rubbing compound later on.

The intonation was slightly off on 3 of the 4 strings (flat by about 25 cent on the 12th fret). It was probably due to shipping. Now I understand why a lot of people don't rate the stock bridge. I have been playing Fender basses for more than 20 years. The Rick bridge is new to me. What do I know.... I just hope it is set and forget, as long as I stick with the TI flats.

That said, the bass plays great. I have small hands and I love my Jazz Bass's neck. Before I got mine, I was wondering how chunky the Rickenbacker neck was going to be. Well, it worked out quite nicely for me. At nut, it feels great. Not like a Jazz Bass, but neither chunky nor crazy wide at all. Further up the neck, it felt a bit of a "flat C" shape. Just need a bit a getting used to, no big deal.

The tone? It is simply, Wow! Those TI flats sound bright for flatwounds. Now I wonder if I should get another 4003S for roundwound. So far, the bridge tone knob remains pulled. I can hear a Horseshoe PU calling me.......

Chris at POTR did an excellent job setting it up, super low action with TI flats. No fret buzz. Chris also installed the Treble Bezel and the vintage knobs for me. Dealing with Chris was great from start to finish. I would not hesitate to contact him if I need anything Rickenbacker again. Thanks, Chris!

Those stickers on the pickguard will come off. I should stick them to the bag that holds the case candies.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Nice looking basses! I really like the chrome bezel.
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

I'm going to break my multi-year posting silence (seriously, it's been since... like... almost a decade ago? I was in college, that much I know) to say that I just got the shipping notification from Pick of the Ricks for my Mapleglo 4003S. I ordered it ~1 year ago I believe. I honestly don't remember. But I'm super-excited and will post pictures here when I get it!

Now, if anyone's interested in my Montezuma Brown 4003... 8)
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bobcat wrote:I'm going to break my multi-year posting silence (seriously, it's been since... like... almost a decade ago? I was in college, that much I know) to say that I just got the shipping notification from Pick of the Ricks for my Mapleglo 4003S. I ordered it ~1 year ago I believe. I honestly don't remember. But I'm super-excited and will post pictures here when I get it!

Now, if anyone's interested in my Montezuma Brown 4003... 8)
I've had "breaks" from this place of about that length of time too, bobcat. When you get your 4003S MG please post some pics so we can see it, I agonized long and hard over whether to get my 4003S in Fireglo or Mapleglo, and I'd love to see how yours turned out!
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

I'm sure we all already know it here, but a shout-out to Pick of the Ricks for the quickest and best customer service I've ever experienced. I got the notice on Tuesday, the shipping notice on Wednesday, and it arrived on Friday, complete with sales receipt, thank you note, etc. Wow.

Anyway, please pardon my awful photography skills and enjoy:
20160522_121942.jpg
20160522_122147.jpg
20160522_122154.jpg

Of course, the very first thing I did after taking those pictures was to take off the bridge pickup guard and put on one of those rubberized Tube Ampology pickup surrounds with a thumbrest so that I could actually play it. I'll probably record it later and put up some of me just putzing around on it.
ram

Post by ram »

Sweet looking bass!! Congratulations!!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Very nice bass, Bobcat!
I love the way they are shaping the headstock and upper horn on these, AND the fretboard looks mighty stripey and well-figured!
Very nice score!
bobcat
Intermediate Member

Post by bobcat »

Thanks everyone! I have to say I agree... it looks like a dream (and plays like one too!). It came tuned and set up perfectly. I'll probably swap out the strings for Fat-beams in the future, but no sense in wasting perfectly good new strings, right? I really couldn't be happier though. Everything about it is exactly what I wanted in a bass.

Here's a couple of really sloppy recordings I made with it today. I'm really, really out of practice; please forgive my obvious flubs and the background noise of jury-rigged recording setup. The volume should be alright, but I make no promises.

- solo from the Mars Volta's "Day of the Baphomets" -
day of the baphomets.mp3
(700.19 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
- shortened riff and solo from Primus's "Laquerhead" -
lacquerhead.mp3
(658.68 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
- intro and chords from Rush's "Sweet Miracle" -
sweet miracle.mp3
(812.02 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
- main bass riff from Marillion's "Quartz" -
quartz.mp3
(474.11 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
- "Roundabout". You know the drill. -
roundabout.mp3
(282.21 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
My apologies too if I shouldn't be uploading stuff here/this way. They're very small mp3s. I couldn't find upload procedures or rules for the board (knowing me, they're probably somewhere super obvious), but I can remove the files/repost them in a different format if necessary. Happy listening, and happy waiting to everyone who hasn't gotten theirs yet!
rickenbastard

Post by rickenbastard »

That fingerboard looks amazing and it obviously sounds great!
September 1978 4001 JG (Jeff Goldblum)
May 2014 4003W (Walter Sobchak)
December 1995 4003 MG (Bass of Spades)
Pantone 333

Post by Pantone 333 »

Maccaguy wrote:
Pantone 333 wrote:I wish they would make a left handed version of this model. I'm pretty bummed.
Ben Hall said on Facebook they would offer this is lefty, but I've got a feeling it probably won't be until they have all the righty pre-orders and inventory channels filled. And then probably after the 4003SW orders are filled.
Any news on when we will see the lefty 4003S basses available for purchase?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Three are available right now at Dave's in lacrosse, Wisconsin. They have an online store, and I highly recommend them. Ask for Laun.

http://davesguitar.com/products/rickenb ... s-guitars/
Pantone 333

Post by Pantone 333 »

I recently got my lefty 4003S:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Niiiice! :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”