New Treble Pup Bezel?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gilmourisgod

New Treble Pup Bezel?

Post by Gilmourisgod »

This may not be new, but first I've seen it, and another alternative to a treble cove infill. Looks decent, though I'd swap the ugly black hex socket screws for round head chrome Phillips.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/182004096285?rmvS ... noapp=true
BigJohnAZ

Re: New Treble Pup Bezel?

Post by BigJohnAZ »

Agree, what ruins it for me is the black hex screws, I suppose you could replace them with others as you said

I have the http://www.tubeampology.com/ 4001 standard bezel and love it.
1977 4001 Autumnglo with Rotosound S/S roundwounds
jayfbv
Veteran RRF member

Post by jayfbv »

If you've been around a long time, you'll recognize my bass. I owe an updated pic...neck pickup by Silvio, Hipshot A bridge, diy thumbrest and the bezel I had done at a machine shop in 1983. The up/down mechanism is hidden by the G&L HB pickup.
new bridge.JPG
donhank

Post by donhank »

Although I admit that both real horseshoes and also the chrome cover for hi-gain pickups LOOK so damn good, I confess that I am one those players who just needs them to be out of my way.

Today I installed a pickup bezel from Frank at tubeampology. Custom machined to fit the HB1 in my instrument. Perfect fit and finish. Highly recommended.
donhank

Post by donhank »

oops . . . forgot to resize the pic
Attachments
black & chrome.JPG
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Don.....Did you reverse the blue and red wires when you put the HB1 in your bass? If not, then it will be out of phase with your hi-gain neck pickup when you have the pickup switch in the middle position. Also, the stock ton cap and tone pot are really choking off the high end clarity of that HB1.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

James....Is that a real Rick bass? Also, what is the scale length? It looks like that bridge is too far forward for the standard RIC scale.
donhank

Post by donhank »

Hi Dane,

Maybe not obvious from the attached picture, but I play a 4000, so neck pickup phase revearsal isn't a problem.

I did install 500k pots a 22 orange drop tone cap when I did the mod - sounds SO MUCH clearer than the originals !!

Don
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

donhank wrote:oops . . . forgot to resize the pic
Wow,Don,that looks great! Total access is a great thing.
Glad you're having fun with that 4000 again!

And Dane,it sounds reaalll good. :wink:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jayfbv wrote:If you've been around a long time, you'll recognize my bass. I owe an updated pic...neck pickup by Silvio, Hipshot A bridge, diy thumbrest and the bezel I had done at a machine shop in 1983. The up/down mechanism is hidden by the G&L HB pickup.
new bridge.JPG
Interesting mix of features! (Wider skunk stripe,CB binding,bound dot neck)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

jayfbv wrote:If you've been around a long time, you'll recognize my bass. I owe an updated pic...neck pickup by Silvio, Hipshot A bridge, diy thumbrest and the bezel I had done at a machine shop in 1983. The up/down mechanism is hidden by the G&L HB pickup.
new bridge.JPG
The hipshot A style bridge is interesting. It looks so much better than the badass with plastic surround solution from back in the day. Did the rout have to be filled to install it? Is there plenty of flexibility regarding string height? Does it have any of the problems often associated with hipshot's purpose built RIC replacement? Clatter, clack when finger picking, lowering due to string vibration, etc.?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

Do I count 21 fets? If so, the bridge placement makes sense.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

thisismusicinc wrote:Do I count 21 fets? If so, the bridge placement makes sense.
Ah yes. Upon closer inspection I see checkered binding also. The dot board would have to be a replacement. I'm surprised I don't see some sign that there was ever a stock RIC tailpiece on this bass.
LBx

Post by LBx »

Hey donhank!

Did Frank at Tubeampology machine that bezel for you at the same price as his regular ones? Thinking of going the same route with my 4000...

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”