Mojo or time to refinish?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Re: Mojo or time to refinish?

Post by Kopfjaeger »

9c1ny wrote:It took 46yrs and wore the paint off the neck to get the frets low, it plays with no buzzing and low action , I don't play a ton it might take another decade before I 'have' to address them, the 12th fret is only 90 mins from me, I hear they can handle it
Tim,
The 12th Fret?? Oh yes they can. Talk to John and or Russ. They know me and several of my 4001's well. Great guys and they will take care of her!!

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

Thanks for the recommendation Sepp, how much did it run you for a refret?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

9c1ny wrote:I was just going on what I was told, almost all of the 70's I have seen are 21 fret
What's that lyric from "Heard It Through the Grapevine"?

"Believe half of what you see

Some or none of what you hear"

There weren't many basses produced in 1970 (compared with, say, 1972), but VERY FEW of the 1970 basses were 21 fretters. The book is as factual as I could make it, considering that no official production numbers have been released.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

I have a copy of the book ordered but its not here yet :( how many 1970's would you guesstimate were produced?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

There's no way to even guess. But there seem to be a proportionately larger number of survivors of '72s and beyond, then there are of any '60s, 1970, or 1971 basses, just looking at things like the RRF Registry and sightings during my research. I can't even come up with a ratio like "if there are xx of this model in this year on the register, then there must be xxx that were made." No way to tell.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

9c1ny wrote:It took 46yrs and wore the paint off the neck to get the frets low, it plays with no buzzing and low action , I don't play a ton it might take another decade before I 'have' to address them, the 12th fret is only 90 mins from me, I hear they can handle it
From recommendations from 2 forum members,I've used them when i decided to have my Cheyenne II defretted-they did a fabulous job.
So are you in Oregon,or south Washington?
(I live down by the Cali border in Brookings.).
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bassduke49 wrote:
9c1ny wrote:I was just going on what I was told, almost all of the 70's I have seen are 21 fret
What's that lyric from "Heard It Through the Grapevine"?

"Believe half of what you see

Some or none of what you hear"

There weren't many basses produced in 1970 (compared with, say, 1972), but VERY FEW of the 1970 basses were 21 fretters. The book is as factual as I could make it, considering that no official production numbers have been released.
That was why I was so interested in seeing a 1970 bass, especially one that isn't a 21 fretter. Sergio and I used to discuss stuff like this, years ago, when we were comparing our 21 fretters...
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

Thanks for the info Paul, I am big into 70's/early 80's B.C. Rich also and sadly its the same story, no production numbers and in a lot of cases not even educated guesses. Woody, I live in the Eugene area, been out here 2 years after spending the first 37 years of my life in Buffalo NY
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

9c1ny wrote:Thanks for the info Paul, I am big into 70's/early 80's B.C. Rich also and sadly its the same story, no production numbers and in a lot of cases not even educated guesses. Woody, I live in the Eugene area, been out here 2 years after spending the first 37 years of my life in Buffalo NY
Huh. Another Buffalo boy! Buffalo and East Aurora for me up through high school. Wisconsin for the 2nd half of my life (so far), but get back to WNY once or twice a year to see family.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

woodyng wrote:From recommendations from 2 forum members,I've used them when i decided to have my Cheyenne II defretted-they did a fabulous job.
I played the Sporthaven and Dandy's Green Door many times!
9c1ny

Post by 9c1ny »

Nice! I'm from Eden but I went to EA high for a few years, I haven't been back to visit since I moved, no reason really but my in laws live in west seneca
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Isaac wrote:
woodyng wrote:From recommendations from 2 forum members,I've used them when i decided to have my Cheyenne II defretted-they did a fabulous job.
I played the Sporthaven and Dandy's Green Door many times!
Sporthaven restaurant is still here,(and good!) but i think the other place was gone before i moved here 6 years ago.(?)
Was it perchance an Irish themed bar in a strip mall?
martinh
Veteran RRF member

Post by martinh »

If it was up to me I'd refinish it. However the truth is that the market value nowadays is all about originality, and the fashion is for instruments that 40 years ago we'd have though looked pretty bad. Hence you may hurt its value by improving it.

As one poster noted, nowadays you pay extra for heavy wear, as opposed to when I was a kid and you would have demanded a steep discount.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

woodyng wrote:
Isaac wrote:I played the Sporthaven and Dandy's Green Door many times!
Sporthaven restaurant is still here,(and good!) but i think the other place was gone before i moved here 6 years ago.(?)
Yeah, Dandy's burned down decades ago. I don't recall it being in a strip mall, just an old building downtown. I also don't remember there being any kind of theme. I have a friend who has lived there since the 70s. She might remember where it was, but I don't suppose it really matters.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Isaac wrote:
woodyng wrote:
Isaac wrote:I played the Sporthaven and Dandy's Green Door many times!
Yeah, Dandy's burned down decades ago. I don't recall it being in a strip mall, just an old building downtown. I also don't remember there being any kind of theme. I have a friend who has lived there since the 70s. She might remember where it was, but I don't suppose it really matters.
Ah yes,one of my bandmates who's lived here for decades let me know about that. The place i was thinking of was called the Fox's Den. ( it had this big Irish looking green mural covering one of the walls...)
Anyhoo...... :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”